[ ♡ ] Chapter XV.

Feigned Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“He hurt you, didn’t he?”

 

The question rang through her mind every day since they day she spoke to her mother – or well, her mother comforting her as much as she could. At first, she didn’t know what to tell the former Queen, in fear that she might bring the topic up to the former King. Being the only child of James and Eunmi Kang, it entails a lot. She was treated with so much respect from her people but showered with love and protection under her parents’ care. If her grandfather had heard, he’d have Baekhyun’s head on a platter. Luckily, he wasn’t around and off enjoying life on a farm with her grandmother close by Veralida.

 

“Addy,” her mother called out as she held the Queen’s face in her hands gently. “You can tell me. It’ll be between you and I.” She said and Nami could only sniffle away her threatening tears. “Not physically,” she whispered to her mother. The former Queen stared with confusion as she tried to understand what really ran through Adelaine Nami Kang’s mind. If she could say – she knew her daughter better than anyone. Better than Dongmin. Better than Irene. After all, the former Queen’s best friend is the Queen herself. “Emotionally?” Her mother whispered in question and the brunette looked up to her mother, eyes wanting to cast away once more, but she nodded.

 

“What happened, baby?”

 

Did she want to spill the secret to her mother? Did she want to jeopardize her title?

 

To hell with it – she suffered enough. And talking to someone – specifically her mother – would make her feel a whole lot better. Her mother was there to support her, to love her, to give her encouragement. So, she it up and sighed. Her hands reached to hold her mother’s. “Do you remember Moonbin’s wife?” “The young lady he just married?” The Queen nodded; her lips pressed thinly. Her mother also nodded since the former King and Queen went to the wedding in her place with Dongmin and Irene. “What about her?” She asked curiously, a certain concern growing in her guts. Nami sighed, giving her mother a rather saddened smile. “Well, I blessed his marriage to her,” she uttered, taking a deep breath. “because she was Baekhyun’s lover.”

 

Her mother simply stared at her daughter, the realization dawning on her as she took a step back from her daughter: “Adelaine,” she exasperated softly. Before her mother could excuse her of doing something she shouldn’t have done, she held her hand up: “She threatened my life, mommy.” She uttered while her mother stared – eyes full of worry. “She was so full of hate, disrespect that she wished I never existed because her lover – your son-in-law – married someone who wasn’t her.”

 

“Oh, Addy,” her mother sighed for the nth time, coming forward to wrap her arms around her daughter. Nami had forgotten all of her paperwork as she sat there with her mother – discussing everything and anything that bothered her. She felt better, of course, but she knew that her mother absolutely hated the idea that Nami never told her mother that Baekhyun had a lover. She shouldn’t have dealt with it on her own. Sure, she had Irene and Dongmin who knew everything, but the former Queen is her mother. At least now her mother is there to understand and give her courage.

 

“Nana,” Irene called out, waving her hand in front of the Queen. She snapped out of her thoughts as she blinked a few times. Her mind reeled back to her conversation with her mother weeks prior. The former Queen admitted that if she ever saw Baekhuyn’s former lover, she’d want to punish the gal for treating the Queen with disrespect. Punish as any mother would punish a child, she hoped. Her mother’s expression in that time brought a laugh and a smile to Nami. The weights on her shoulders definitely lifted off of her as she breathed freely, but the thoughts tended to floor her mind a lot. And despite the conversation being weeks back – she thought about it often. Sometimes she tried not to because she wanted to be free of the burden – to which she is nearly achieving just by being home and in the company of good friends. Though, Dongmin insisted that he needed to go home – having left his own home unattended for so long already. Either way, she still had good company and the comforts of her kingdom. Her head turned to Irene with brows risen: “Yeah?” She uttered; confusion plastered on her features. Chanyeol and Irene exchanged a look as they turned back to their Queen. “Are you alright?” Chanyeol questioned, sitting across from her. The brunette blinked, giving him a forced smile: “Why wouldn’t I be?” She retorted.

 

“Well, you look a little off,” Irene added, her hand moving to press against the Queen’s forehead. It doesn’t really surprise anyone in the Astelin castle anymore that this was how Irene treated the Queen. “Are you feeling alright?” “Joo, I’m fine,” Nami laughed, removing the lady-in-waiting’s hand away from her forehead. Irene gave her best friend a suspicious look but shrugged it off with a sigh. “I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter