[ ♡ ] Chapter XVII.

Feigned Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Apparently, getting the attention of his wife served to be a lot harder when she avoided him wherever he was. Baekhyun couldn’t ever find a moment alone with her when he wanted a moment alone with her. Whenever she’d see him, she’d turn the opposite direction and went back the way she came from. Or whenever he’d spot her talking to the maids, she’d pretend not to hear him or see him. Dongmin had come to notice the behavior of his beloved cousin as well, and he sympathized for the man who tried everything in his power to get her to see him. Of course, he didn’t know what it’s like to be married or have a mistress. Dongmin preferred to marry and settle when he was ready – when he finds the right person. For now, he didn’t mind being a bachelor if it meant he had the freedom to go around and do things that would make his country and his cousin proud.

 

Though, Dongmin was sure that all of their friends had seen the way Nami had turned the cold shoulder on Baekhyun. They all worried for their King and Queen. And Nami’s behavior would’ve been deemed childish, immature, had they been in the public’s view. But she had her reasons. She wasn’t ready to face Baekhyun before time, and he showed up with Junmyeon. Everyone, now, can see the King’s intentions to apologize and make up with his wife. He’d go out of his way to enter town – buy her flowers, her favorite pastries or even purchased some books from her favorite author. None of which she accepted from him.

 

There was one day in particular when everyone had gathered outside Dongmin’s garden to see the lights illuminate beautifully, giving them a jolly Christmas spirit. That day, Baekhyun wanted to pull Nami aside just to talk to her, try his best to get her to open up to him, but it didn’t happen. And it left everyone giving him eyes full of pity. “I feel rather bad for his highness,” Hoseok mentioned quietly to his friends around him, and Chanyeol nodded. He loved Baekhyun, of course, that is his best friend, but he loved Nami just as much. He’d grown fond of Nami since his time in Astelin. He learned everything he possibly could from her and her father – and there, built a friendship that he didn’t know he could have with a female and let alone, his best friend’s wife. “He appears so tired and fatigue,” Irene mumbled as she leaned against Junmyeon. Dongmin let out a sigh, watching his cousin stubbornly walks away. He felt for Baekhyun, he really did. He couldn’t imagine all the emotions that was flooding through Baekhyun’s mind.

 

But this was the daily routine: Baekhyun would want to find the time to talk to her and she walks away from him. He’d try to gift her with the items he found in town and she’d ignore it. He wanted to be civil and she wasn’t ready to be.

 

“Nana,” the familiar voice pulled her away from her comfortable position on the velvet couch in her room. She turned her head towards the doorway, where Dongmin stood with a concerned look. She gave him a smile, allowing him to come into the room further – despite it being his home and he can enter any room if he felt like it. “Hi, Min,” she spoke softly, her book now marked and placed on the coffee table in front of her and between the fireplace. Dongmin rounded the couch, sitting where her feet had been resting as she tucked her knees closely to her chest and her blanket covering in for warmth. “You didn’t come down for dinner the past two days,” he commented, eyeing his cousin with concern but Nami smiled and shook her head. “I wasn’t really hungry.” “Nana, you haven’t come down to eat for several days now. Each time you’re down there, the maids tell me you won’t eat your breakfast either.” Of course, this thing concerned Dongmin because she is a lover of all foods. He has never seen her go a day or two without eating. “I just haven’t been hungry, Min.” She replied with a shrug to her shoulders. The only thing she consumed was tea and little bite sized snacks served with her tea. “You’re growing thin, Nana.” Dongmin commented, obviously very concerned for his cousin. Nami simply stared at him with an oblivious look. “If I came down tomorrow, will you stop pestering me?”

 

“If you promise me that you’ll try to eat everything on your plate.”

 

The Queen rolled her eyes before settling them on the burning firewood. The warmth radiating off of it as she sighed, agreeing to her cousin. They soon sat in silence, enjoying the mild sound of the firewood crackling in front of them. “When will you finally open up to Baekhyun?” Dongmin questioned out of the blue, allowing Nami to turn her head to him. “I know you need time to heal, but don’t you think you’ve had a selfishly enough time? You’re tormenting the poor man.” Nami didn’t speak, but she did listen. Dongmin seemed concerned for both of them, and he shouldn’t be. At least, in her opinion. However, his good nature made him inhumanly perfect. She envied him. She envied how he could see the good in people when – sometimes – they don’t deserve one’s forgiveness. “I understand that he hurt you. I understand why you’ve done all of the things to heal yourself and rid of the pain put there by him and his ex-lover. But you must understand where he’s coming from now. Things have changed, Nana. His ex-lover is now Moonbin’s wife, and from what I’ve heard – they’re happy together. Apparently expecting their first child together.” Nami scoffed, resting her folded arms on her knees as she tilted her head towards the fireplace.

 

Dongmin sighed, shaking his head: “Baekhyun’s trying, Nana. You’re making it impossible for him to reach you, and he wants to reach you.” Dongmin stood up from the couch, leaving her to her own expense as she remained silent. He moved around the couch to walk away when she could feel that he’d stop: “I just want to see my beloved cousin happy again. There is nothing more that I want from that this Christmas season.” The Jewel Prince smiled, squeezing her shoulder before walking to the door.

 

She let out a sigh once she was alone in the silence and the only thing loud enough was her overwhelming thoughts.

 

 

The next morning arrived and Dongmin was rather surprised when he and Nami walked out of the respected rooms at the same time. He only assumed that she was making her way to breakfast just as she promised the night prior. “Good morning,” she uttered softly as she stepped beside the Prince. Dongmin smiled, placing a comforting arm around her shoulder as they walked together to the dining room. To say the staff in the home were surprised to see their Queen down for breakfast was an understatement. They thought they wouldn’t really see the Queen until it was tea-time like any other day since Baekhyun’s arrival. Though, no one should be quick to judge because Dongmin had a way of bringing Nami back to reality. It was an effect on her and him vice versa. “I’m rather glad you came out of your room,” Dongmin mentioned tenderly as they rounded the corner of their corridor. There was a smile on Nami’s lips as she peered up to her taller cousin: “I guess you were right. I need to properly eat.”

 

“Well, you know, I’m really glad you came out of your room,” Dongmin mentioned once again as they arrived in the dining room, taking a seat beside one another. “Today’s the Christmas festivities with our townspeople. I feared that I was going to have to make an excuse of the Queen being ill or unable to attend.” Nami glanced to her cousin as she placed a napkin in her lap while she gave him a smile. She turned her head, thanking the servant for filling her cup with water. “Did you really think I’d miss out on seeing the smiles on their faces? Not a chance.”

 

It was currently just them dining, and they knew that the others would soon join them. For now, it was quiet and peaceful because when Hoseok and Chanyeol arrived, it would be chaos. It’s funny how Chanyeol had formed many friendships since his arrival in Astelin. She couldn’t complain, however, because she enjoyed the company of those around her. “And what about the Baekhyun situation?” He inquired while he placed his napkin on his lap.  Nami turned her head, eyes warily on her beloved cousin. She did wrack her brain with the words that her cousin had spewed out on her the night prior. She weighed the pros and cons, and she attempted to understand the situation from Dongmin’s point of view. She even took the thoughts to bed with her, where she continuously tossed and turned as she overthought it all. Though, she did take many people’s feelings into consideration, she did – mentally – slapped herself for not really taking Baekhyun’s feelings into consideration. How could she? Before, she only saw what feelings he had for his ex-lover. She only ever saw her barely defend her when she needed the support from him. Now, as Dongmin said, his ex-lover is happily married to Dongmin’s good friend. Oddly enough, it still didn’t give Nami the comfort she required from the known information. But… she let out a sigh as she took a sip of her water before nodding her head.

 

“Like you said,” she uttered, “he is trying.” That was all she could say. She knew – after much consideration and thought – that he was trying. But was he trying because he felt guilty? Or that he was genuinely trying to mend something that he ruined? “And?” Dongmin urged, glancing to the Queen. The kitchen staff had come out, supplying the Jewel Prince and Queen with their breakfast – warm rice chicken porridge with fresh fruits on the side. “Min, we marri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter