[ ♡ ] Chapter XXIV

Feigned Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The days leading up to Junmyeon and Irene’s wedding was fast approaching – and the King and Queen promised to be the honorary guests of their wedding. Though, they didn’t have a problem postponing it until their Queen was better – if that were the case. The days leading up to her finally agreeing to see a physician only saw her getting better. Tired, yes, but she’s resting comfortably as Baekhyun took up most of the responsibility. Every now and then, he’d bring paperwork for her to sign – but the rest… he took care of it.

 

“The physician is seeing her today, yes?” Her mother questioned Baekhyun, who had taken over the duties while his dear wife rested. He smiled to his mother-in-law, nodding his head as he settled the paperwork on his wife’s desk. “He should be arriving soon before noon.” His mother-in-law let out a sigh of relief. It was almost two weeks since the Queen fell sick. The stubbornness the King’s wife held made her own mother worried to death. Practically everyone was worried for the Queen. “Good,” his mother-in-law uttered, “that’s good.” Of course, it was. After being so stubborn, he was able to convince her to ease their minds with a physician. At least it’ll calm his nerves, and he didn’t have to worry so much about her on top of the many things they had to worry about.

 

“And what of Seulgi?” She questioned, breaking the silence once again while Baekhyun blinked. His body had already settled in the chair before him while his focused on the documents he decided to arrange neatly on the desk. His movements became slow as he looked up to the former Queen. He could tell that everyone in the castle – albeit the former King, who was zealous of the idea of his daughter taking over Belyra – was worried for the Queen in question.  And the letter Nami received just prior stated the troubles of Seongi demanding his return to the castle. Though, nothing will come to it when the Protector of the family is there to protect. “As far as we know from the last letter,” he uttered, holding onto the new letter that Dongmin sent, “Dongmin is there to lend his helping hand in controlling the situation with Seongi.” Baekhyun nodded his head as he gave his mother-in-law a sad smile: “He’s told us, though, Seongi would not let down.” The former Queen sighed once again – this time a sigh of concern and distress for the Belyra kingdom.

 

“With all that is going on, it’s no wonder why our precious Adelaine is ill.”

 

Another sad smile graced the King’s lips. It’s really anyone can think about at the moment – given that it should be a joyous moment with Junmyeon and Irene’s wedding near – everything was circling around Nami and Seulgi. And word had gotten out that the Queen of Astelin, Miralin and Korea had fallen ill. Some of the people can think is that they might have another Queen Seulgi on their hands, unbeknownst that the Queen’s reign wouldn’t have lasted long whereas some still believed that their Queen had just fallen sick and still had a long way away from ruling forever.

 

“I suppose we will see what physician says later today.”

 

“Nana,” Irene called out as she entered the royal room of Nami and Baekhyun’s. The brunette’s eyes lifted from her book as she inspected her lady-in-waiting waltz into her room. A hum left her lips in response to her best friend. There was a wide smile on Irene’s lips, bringing some joy into the darkish room. Even with the blinds and curtains open, Nami still felt as though a dark cloud loomed over her. Perhaps she was tired of being in bed as instructed by Baekhyun.

 

She was tired of doing nothing. The boredom was slowly eating her alive even when she should be resting. Sleep had become boring and too much of it made her even more tired. Being ill wasn’t all for the best, but it’s something she needed to recover from – though, she’d just have to wait and see what the physician says.

 

“I thought you would like some company today,” her best friend uttered as she pulled a chair up next to the Queen. A smile graced Nami’s only lips as she tilted her head against the upright pillow behind her. “I would love that very much,” she replied, “it has gotten quite lonely with little social interaction.” Irene nodded her head, adjusting the blanket against the brunette’s lap as her doe eyes glanced up to the Queen. “You’ll be back onto your feet in no time – I know it.” It’s reassuring, of course, to hear such positivity coming from someone who wasn’t Baekhyun or her mother. The constant nagging of her not taking care of herself has been rather tedious. Though, she knew they mean well and only want the best for her. In this case, for her to be well. “Besides, you have to attend my wedding, it’s not an option.” She teased, giving the Queen a smile on her lips.

 

“Tell me,” Nami uttered, closing the book she’s been reading to stop her bored mind, “anything happening around the castle? News of your wedding?”  She wanted something to gossip about considering that no one really bothered her… just leaving her to rest and rest until she had some energy to do something on her own. “Wedding preparations are almost done. I believe we are just waiting on my dress at this rate.” Irene stated, clapping her hands together. The Queen could see the excitement in the eyes of her lady-in-waiting especially when she knew that Irene had found her match. Junmyeon and her were perfect together – even when they are arguing and disagreeing on certain things. At least, at the end of the day, they overcome their obstacles. Nami learned that not all relationships were perfect, even when the perfect couple had problems. “As for anything around the castle…” Irene uttered once more, “Chanyeol challenged Hoseok to a duel.”

 

Nami raised her brows, eyeing her best friend: “And who won?”

 

“Oh, definitely our Hoseok,” Irene stated without hesitation, “Chanyeol lost severely, which I believe it is because his ego is too high, and his pride wounded simply over nothing.” This allowed the brunette to let out a genuine laugh. The first laugh she’s had in a while – at least since she fell ill. “I’ve missed so much, haven’t I?” She questioned while Irene simply smiled, her hand resting atop of the brunette’s. “You have, but all that matters is you getting better.” The lady-in-waiting stated. “We are all waiting for your recovery so we can observe you beat Chanyeol in a duel.” This brought a smile to the Queen’s lips as she replied: “That will be the day his pride dejects completely.” Another laugh escaped her lips; however, both laughed this time. It’s been a while since she had a conversation with Irene – and it was refreshing.

 

Conversation carried on – that Nami wasn’t aware of how long their conversation ran for. By the time that they were enjoying one another’s company, they heard loud knocks against her door. Baekhyun’s head poked in as he gave his wife a gentle smile. “My love,” he called out, opening the door a bit wider, “the physician is here.” Nami blinked, nodding her head as she adjusted herself in her spot. Irene smiled to the brunette as she rose from the chair. Her hand pressed against the brunette’s, dedicating a reassuring smile: “If you need anything, call for me.” She uttered before excusing herself out of the room.

 

Baekhyun nodded his head to his wife’s best friend while the physician entered the room, bowing towards the Queen before setting up his equipment on the nightstand beside her bedside. “How are you feeling today, your highness?” The physician questioned while glancing to her. The brunette simply nodded, replying that she was slightly better than the days previously. “Have you had a fever at all during this period of illness?” Nami shook her head which allowed for the physician to take mental notes while he asked for permission to check her physical body – listening to her heart, lungs and all.

 

Becoming queen has been hard since the moment the crown was placed on her head. It carried the weight of her people and her family’s generation before her. So, when the Queen falls sick – the world questions it. “I’m telling you I’m just merely sick,” Nami complained, glaring at her husband – who has been ever so doting on her since she fell ill. The physician didn’t say a word while he worked as Baekhyun s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter