[ ♡ ] Chapter XIII.

Feigned Love.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your highness,” the deeper voice that didn’t belong to Dongmin, Moonbin or Junmyeon startled her out of her reading as she looked up to see the taller male figure peeking in at the door. “Chanyeol,” she called out with a smile as she looked motioned him into her study. “I hope I wasn’t interrupting anything crucial,” he stated, slowly walking into her study. The brunette laughed, shaking her head as she leaned back from the paperwork that laid before her. It’s been a few weeks since she blessed a marriage between Moonbin and… it. They were due to be married soon, from what Dongmin’s told her. Of course, she received an invitation since Moonbin was her friend, but she didn’t want to attend the wedding of someone who swore up and down that she wanted her dead. Dongmin and Irene were due to represent her at his wedding. Truth be told, Irene really just wanted to go and see the look on Baekhyun’s now former lover’s face when she’s been married off to Moonbin.

 

Since then, Baekhyun buried himself with keeping busy. There are some days that they would pass each other in the hall, barely acknowledging one another. After their argument, Nami had treated him like a stranger mainly because she didn’t give him the opportunity to say anything, and mainly because he was so far up that he didn’t want to accept the fact that his so-called former lover was mean, rude, disrespectful. Any words that were negative.

 

“Not at all,” she said with a smile, “what can I do for you, Chanyeol?” She inquired, twirling her pen between her fingers. “Just checking up on you. Seems I’ve been going back and forth between you and Baekhyun a lot lately.” He said, taking a seat across her desk. There wasn’t a smile or emotion on her features as she looked down and exhaled loudly. “You don’t have to, you know? I’m fine with working with Junmyeon.” “Yeah, but you’re my friend,” he said, leaning back against his chair. “I’m here if you want to talk, you know?” Nami smiled. Despite having a good friend like Chanyeol, she still had to decline his offer to really talk to him, or anyone at all. Dongmin and Irene had suggested that they’d talk, for her to release her emotions, but the Queen still declined. What she wanted was to work on something rather than just reading a book all day.

 

“Well, if you don’t want to talk,” Chanyeol uttered, scooting forward in his seat, “is there anything I can help you with? Any document you need me to take over for you?” The Queen took a deep breath and shook her head. “They’re all paperwork for my countries. I’m actually thinking about traveling home for a while.” Chanyeol blinked, eyes wide with surprise as he looked up to the Queen. “Does Baekhyun know about this?”

 

Nami stared at her friend, a soft smile on her lips as she shook her head. “He doesn’t, and I don’t want him to know either.” Chanyeol was quite surprised that his friend’s wife thought this way, but then again – he shouldn’t be surprised because Baekhyun’s lover really did a number on the Queen of three countries. But what he wanted to know was if she was actually running from her husband, or if she genuinely wanted to leave. “Does anyone else know?” He asked curiously as she placed her pen down. “Um, everyone in our circle but your King.” The taller male’s eyes widened. “Look, Chanyeol, I want to get away from everything that I’ve experienced here. I want to be able to breathe, to see my parents again. Besides, I have work to catch up on over there.” “Do you plan to come back?” He asked. He knew that he had a lot of questions, but he really wanted to know if she’ll come back to them. He genuinely like the Queen. More than the girl that Baekhyun dedicated his youth to.

 

“Chanyeol, I don’t belong here. I was – am – no one to Baekhyun. He lived and breathed Mina constantly every day, and now that she’s gone... I feel relieved that she’s not around to torment me, but there’s nothing left for me here.” She gave Chanyeol a soft smile, but the male didn’t seem absorb the information very well. He knew that it wasn’t true. There was something in Baekhyun that he was turning around – doing things for the Queen in his own ways, but maybe Baekhyun messed up a lot more than Chanyeol would’ve liked. “Well,” he said, straighten his posture, “if you don’t mind me asking, would you happen to need another person on your advising team?” Nami blinked, glancing at Chanyeol with curious eyes. She didn’t understand why he’d want to move from one advising team to another. “Why?” She finally asked, speaking her mind as she stared at him with furrowed brows. “Why not?” He retorted. “I’ve lived here my whole life. I want to be able to explore, work for someone outside the Byun royalty. Now, since you’re legally his wife, I don’t think it’ll hurt anyone if I joined your legal advising team. It would be nice to see the outside world, you know?” “If you leave your job here then who’ll cover for you?”

 

“Baekhyun has plenty of other Lords and noblemen on his team. If he’s missing one person, he’d be fine.” Nami stared at the male, a sigh escaping her lips for the nth time today. “But you’re also his best friend and Junmyeon’s. If you leave, they’ll know.” Chanyeol shrugged. He seemed to have made up his mind about wanting to join her in Astelin. “I want to experience more of the world rather than staying in the same castle walls every day.” There wasn’t really much to argue with Chanyeol. He seemed to be like her – wanting to be openly free, able to travel and see the world for what it is. So, she sat there in silence, staring at Chanyeol. She contemplated her options before giving the tall male a brief nod. “Fine,” she uttered, “you can join my advising team. Besides, I think you’ll make a great addition to the team.”

 

Chanyeol did a small air pump as he thanked the Queen for allowing him the opportunity to be able of her advising team. “When do we leave?” He asked. Now, Nami looked up at his standing figure as she rested her elbow on her armchair. A small smile plastered her lips.

 

“We leave in the morning.”

 

 

“The carriages are ready,” Chanyeol whispered as he quietly returned into the castle from the back doors. The kitchen doors. Sure, some of the staff knew that they were leaving and swore not to the tell the King per the Queen’s request. Chanyeol had already placed his left of resignation on Baekhyun’s desk, knowing fully well that the King had already gone to bed or retreated to his room –

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter