Chapter 13

You’re my pick!

“Hyewon, do you know what is this question talking about? I don’t understand English well.” The duck turned to her best friend for help.

 

“Hmm. It says to turn on the two gas pumps and the main breaker to restart the generator..” The older one of the two read the sentence out loud.

 

“Yeah, but what does it mean?”

 

“.. I don’t know. Why do you think I know that in the first place?” The hamster asked.

 

“You play more games than me, so I thought your English might be better. Sorry..” The duck retreated back to her seat. 

 

“It’s okay. That’s why we come to school to learn. Don’t feel bad about it.” The hamster comforted the girl. 

 

“Why not we try one more question and we can go off for our break? I can treat you to bubble tea after school at your favorite place?” The pretty girl insisted. 

 

“That sounds good to me!” The duck quacked when she got reminded of someone else. 

 

--- 

 

“Dong rong rong rong~~ Hyewonnie~~” The bunny manager unconsciously sang out the name of the younger girl at her workplace so loudly that the puppy who was a distance away can hear it properly. 

 

“Unnie, who’s Hyewon?” Yujin tried to act blur as best as she can.

 

“Oh.. She’s a nice girl. We met through the dating app that you showed me.” Eunbi smiled as she introduced her to the part-timer.

 

“Nice is a rather broad term. Mind explaining a little more into the details?” The puppy wanted to be convinced otherwise that her unnie is talking about a different person than the person she had in mind. But after processing whatever the older girl said, Yujin knows they were referring to the same person.  

 

“So have you met up with her yet?” The puppy expressed curiosity. 

 

“No.. not really... She mentioned that this is her last year in high school and that she wants to focus on her studies. Besides, you know how unpredictable our work hours are. This just means that we don’t have a lot of spare time to meet up with each other. I feel that she’s a great person, quite mature for such a young age and I like her quite a lot. It’s just sad that life isn’t fair..” Eunbi fiddled with the block of wood on the table while staring at it blankly. 

 

“Is that so? Maybe I can help you with some of the work when I have more free time.” Yujin volunteered herself promptly after hearing her manager sigh.

 

“No dear. For your age, studies are the most important thing above anything else. You should treasure it now when you have the opportunity to study. Don’t give up on your own priorities just because of me, okay?” The leader lectured the puppy sternly. 

 

“Okay! I promise I’ll work hard!” The high-school girl gave a salute to the manager before leaving the workshop for school the next day. 

 

“Teenagers nowadays are sometimes too self-sacrificial huh? It’s cute though.. Kinda reminds me of her..” The bunny grinned widely as she unlocked her phone to see the selcas the younger girl took earlier in the day.