White forsythia: fragment i

weltschmerz

White forsythia

fragment i


 

The cold tiled floor was the first thing that I noticed. I felt it, as my cheeks pressed hard on its surface. Not a very inviting feeling for someone with a killer headache. I took deep breaths, hoping that it will lessen the wreck in my head.

 

 

 

 

It didn't and the sunrays pressed as hard as the floor to my flesh, particularly to my closed eyelids. I wanted to curse so hard, but I decided against it, my throat felt like Sahara.

 

 

 

 

 

I raised my arms to cover my face. The quick movement didn't help easing the pain, but at least I can go back to sleep. Hopefully.

 

 

 

 

* * *

 

 

 

 

Remnants of my dream last night, flashed murkily in my mind as soon as I close my eyes. The face of a lady appeared like mirage. Long black hair, hook nose, well arched eyebrows and chiselled lips, cold onyx eyes. I can see it clearly the eyes I mean. It seemed to be the center focus and everything else looks like it's caught in a motion blur. It’s confusing dancing back and forth in the back of my eyelids but I know for sure she looked like an angel.

 

 

 

 

She did indeed look otherworldly and it made me feel angry and sad, because I remembered that they’re setting her on fire. It's the only detail besides her face that I can see or recall. It's hard to tell. All I know was that the inferno was relentless. It swallowed her whole, but she's smiling.

 

 

 

 

 

She screamed my name when flames engulfed her entirety.

 

 

 

 

"AMBER!"

 

 

 

 

 

My eyes opened immediately when it resonated loud and clear in my head.

 

 

 

 

I blinked multiple times to take off the black points in front of my eyes. Sweat trickled down my face and my t-shirt stick to my skin. I rolled to my back to try to regain sense of things.

 

 

 

 

 

With my head pounding relentlessly aided by the sun, I focused on the black spot on the ceiling. The eerie sense that I've seen the face of the lady on fire before made my head ache worst and the black spots were insistent.

 

 

 

 

A loud groan echoes in my ears as I pick myself up from the floor.

 

 

* * *

 

 

 

 

I lost count of the teaspoons of sugar I was putting to my coffee. The damned feeling followed me to the coffee maker and now to kitchen table. My right cheek was experiencing the smoothness of a well-polished mahogany as I stared at the stich designed mug.

 

 

 

Dreaming about that lady these past few months was really bugging me.

 

 

 

 

I'd remember knowing someone as attractive as that if I knew her but I didn't. Though in a sense I know her because I know her eyes. It looked so familiar and a part of me felt like I know it more than my own. It was there when I close my eyelids. Cold, chocolate brown, intelligent, it held secrets I can't remember but I know those eyes like how the lady on fire knows my name.

 

 

 

 

The hair in my arms and neck stood up, it felt cold. I downed the hot drink within my reach to take away the uneasy feeling. Bad move llama.

 

 

 

 

Sputtering hard and wheezing as some of the ultra-sweet liquid went out of my nose, I finally managed a curse. I think I did.

 

* * *

 

 

 

My usual routine was over before I know it and I was on my way to the university. I decided to postpone my overthinking of the lady on fire since I've already had a bad morning. 2 missed classes and a messed up morning cup was enough already so I let it slide off my worry list.

 

 

 

I started to pedal my way to school using the long way with my helmet securely locked in my head. The class I was supposed to be in was already halfway done anyway. Besides I love the white forsythias along this road and the river.

 

 

Perpetual things always awe me. Art, music, kindness. It's beautiful.

 

 

 

I smiled as I stretched my sore muscles, ignoring the demanding ache in my head. The man made path was kissed by grass already, but I knew it by heart. It's the same trail I've run through when I still lack my front teeth with her. The noisy little girl who wanted to be a forsythia.

 

 

Soojung.

 

 

 

Her memory made me stop pedalling but I allowed the momentum to carry me as I look away from the forsythias. I love them because they are beautiful, not just because they are pleasing to the eye, but because they are perpetual too. Soojung made them that. Her memory did.

 

 

 

I inhaled deeply taking in the scent of the riverbanks and the forsythias. My eyes treaded to the river, it's hard to long for something you knew has passed. I exhaled through my nose feeling warm with the memories of Soojung.

 

 

 

 

 

Distant shouts came from the other side of the endless and my head turned to its direction. Four guys in black coat and tie. They seemed to be chasing someone.

 

 

 

I craned my neck.

 

 

 

 

Both hands pressed hard on the breaks almost making me topple off the bicycle. Long jet black hair, hook nose, and chocolate intelligent eyes that were looking straight through me, the lady on fire.

 

 

It probably happened for less than a minute but it felt longer. I was panting and sweating again, and the chase party was gone from my sight.

 

 

 

* * *

 

 

The day dragged on as long as it can and I can barely keep my eyes open when I finished printing the 20 pages essay due tomorrow. It's a real struggle to keep my focus when my mind kept on trotting back to Her. A really really disconcerting feeling and worry I guess because she is real.

 

 

 

 

Those ethereal orbs were existing was the last thought I have before I lose consciousness or I hope I did.

 

 

 

 

The snow was the first thing I noticed. It has devoured everything it can, making the white blinding. Then I noticed my bike that as lying on the ground to my right. I crouched to pick it up, mentally preparing myself for the cold.

 

 

 

 

It never came, I was on my tank top but I don't feel cold. It made me shiver.

 

 

 

 

Upon quick assessment, I almost screamed when I noticed the forsythia line and iced river. No wind blew on this winter like dimension whatever it was. Everything was still and I made a run for it. I jumped on to my bike and pedalled as fast as I can to get me away from the riverside, but it's pointless. It's unending.

 

 

 

 

I think it was until I almost run over Death. Figuratively, in his grotesque astounding glory. He was in his rider form, like the one you can see in the Darksiders II game intro. I assumed he was death because you can't miss the scythe really.

 

 

 

The freaking dark almost my size instrument used to rip souls.

 

 

 

A very very undignified squeal escaped my lips. Then I was petrified still open mouthed. He moved fluidly until his standing close to me, inspecting me like a fine specimen.

 

 

 

"Hello old friend this is getting annoying don’t you think."