COFFEE FOR TWO 3 of 9: plastic ring

weltschmerz

COFFEE FOR TWO

iii. plastic ring

3 of 7


Krystal has been too out of it these days. People tend to be too nosy about her wellbeing in general, asking a lot of questions that ultimately always end up with her answering the words "I'm fine" with a small smile to reinforce the lie.

 

 

 

She didn't mean to, she always believed that honesty is the best way to go further in life, but it seemed like that has changed inevitably. It has been altered for the better or for worst. It was hard to tell. All she knew was that she could make it from one day to the next by convincing herself that the lie was the only version of truth in her life. That she was fine with a small pointless smile.

 

 

 

Krystal told herself that was she fine. She was still creating things that will outlive her. Bridges and buildings, even castle like structures that were larger than anything she has ever imagined. It was surreal and she was giving it her best to make the world a better place to some extent. It was fulfilling. She was living her dream. It was everything she ever wanted. Although perhaps that was a lie too, an outright and blatant one at that, because admittedly even living her dreams can't make I'm fine not a lie.

 

 

Krystal was overthinking about lies at the moment as she fail miserably to stop the bitterness from leaking through her eyes.

 

 

 

She was fine, she repeated to herself, the loops blurring before her eyes. Krystal isn't fine, not with the plastic ring hauntingly resting on the countertop. Not when the soggy breakfast looked as unappetizing as it has always been whenever she eats it alone. Nothing is fine anymore.

 

 

Krystal was currently lost in the past. The long lost memories when Amber was still too in love with her to function properly.

 

 

 

They were having a traditional breakfast on her delusions. Sharing dry loops on that plain black bowl that they've bought together on a night market sale. That same bowl was not existing anymore like how Amber wasnt too inlove with her anymore.

 

 

Nerve wracking sobs erupted from her chest as she stole another glance at the empty spaces on her apartment. She hates the high definition flashbacks of what they used to be.

 

 

Amber was drinking the milk instead of pouring it to the cereal because 'princess hated it when it turns soggy'. Amber used to recite with a straight face.

 

 

They were sharing breakfast on a bowl, while both of them sat lazily on the couch. The younger girl was leaning on the older one, her cheeks were pressed on those bony shoulders, legs stretched on the latter's lap underneath a wool blanket.

 

 

It was a late sunday morning, probably almost past ten. Everything was serene, even the drizzle outside has died down and Stevie Wonder was humming around the room, surrounding the space with cheesy words that used to make Amber cringe visibly.

 

 

Amber was obviously not a fan of that music genre but she was the one who suggested Stevie knowing that Krystal likes it. Almost everything they did during those days were according to what Krystal likes, and the onyx eyed girl loved it. Amber loved it too or so she thought but it didn't matter during those days because it was perfection. Krystal was contented and she was more than just fine. She was happy.

 

 

Krystal's eyes were barely open as she indulged on Amber's warmth. Krystal's midnight locks were still a mess, but neither of them cared at the moment. They were eating their favorite breakfast after all.

 

 

A spoonful of loops was pressed lightly to Krystal's mouth as Amber lazily shares another bite with her. Krystal obliged, giving in to the tempting pull of her eyelids. Krytal chewed the loops with her eyes closed sighing contentedly as the person beside her hums with the music sweeping around the room.

 

 

 

Krystal can feel the Amber’s chest rise and fall with hers. It was the feat of her week. Amber was with her and she couldn't ask for more. An almost too sweet serene settles through her bones as Krystal pressed herself closer to Amber's side, her fingers drew lazy patterns on Amber's stomach.

 

 

 Even the air that touched her face felt gentler as the fan above them oscillated.
 

"More?"

 


Krystal moved her head in agreement, not lifting her cheeks from where they were resting. She could feel Amber stretching her right arm to reach out for the cereal box on their feet. It was their lazy day after all.

 

 

Krystal has almost drifted back to sleep when she felt Amber insistently poke her nose.

 

 

"what?"

 


A dark blue plastic thing, met her eyes. Krystal squinted at the object, irritated of the unnecessary disturbance.

 

 

"Look, found you a ring. Can I do cheesy?" Amber said excitedly. Krystal ignored her. Without giving an answer, Krystal closed again, feeling too comfortable to take Amber's antics too seriously but the older girl seems determined to get Krystal’s attention.

 

 

 

Krystal got a kiss on her right eye lid, then on her chin, left eyebrow, the tip of her nose, her forehead, the sides of her eyes, her cupids bow, on the side of her lips. Amber was coaxing Krystal to pay attention by peppering soft kisses on her face.

 

 

"We’re doing Stevie wonder on a weekend Amber, what more do you want?"

 

 

Krystal is still not opening her eyes.

 


"You don't like this?" Amber murmured close to Krystal's temple, their bowl was shifting on top of the blanket.

 

 

"I didn't say that."

 

 

“. . .”

 

 

"So-" "open your eyes princess."

 

 

Krystal cracked one eye open.

 

 

"Both eyes please."

 

 

"I’m seeing a plastic ring. What now?"

 

 

"From this moment forward, you will never be alone. My heart will be your hearth, my arms will be your home."

 

 

"okay." Krystal replied without sounding as breathless as her lungs felt. Her heart was beating annoyingly fast, skipping a few beats.

 

 

"Ugh, no, don't pull up a tfios with me." Amber whine or groaned. Krystal found it adorable either way.

 

 

Another "okay" was Krystal’s reply, Amber glared at her unamused. The older girl looked away. Feigning annoyance with a forced blank expression.

 

 

Krystal gave in first.

 


A smile cracked the poker face as Krystal's hands wove around Amber's neck.

 


"Where did you read that?"

 

 

"Can't remember."

 

 

"Hmmmm, are you proposing?"

 

 

"Nope, not yet."

 

 

"Yes."

 


"uh-"  "You lost me there, where were we?"

 

 

 

Krystal stole a chaste kiss on Amber's upper lip.

 

 

 

"It's a yes, if the not yet ever happens."

 

 

"Seriously?"

 


"Uh huh."

 

 

Another kiss on Amber's nose was stolen.

 

 

"So you'll wear my ring then."

 

 

"I don't think so."

 

 

"But you said yes, come on. Fingers, Soojungie."

 

 

Krystal was able to pull back from drowning on what used to be when the shrill ringing reached her ears. With shoulders slumped, she left the untouched soggy cereal moving robotically to the front door. The 'I'm fine' at ready on the tips of her tongue, she wiped any trace of lie first before turning the knob.

 

 

Her heart thundered, as the hope of seeing Amber for real again suddenly surge through her nerves. Giddiness made her toes curl in anticipation.

 


It wasn't Amber. Krystal said she was fine.