42.

My World, My Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoojung woke up with Suyeon calling her name. She tried to roll over and ignore her, but Suyeon persisted.

"What?" Yoojung asked as she sat up. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," Suyeon said. "What would make you think anything is wrong?"

"Because you're waking me up on a day off," Yoojung said. "You know I like to sleep in on days off and so you wouldn't wake me up unless there was something wrong."

"Well as it happens, Miss Know-It-All, there isn't anything wrong," Suyeon said with a smile. "It's just that Lucy and I have planned a special surprise for you today, and if you sleep in you'll miss it."

"A surprise?" Yoojung asked skeptically.

Suyeon nodded. "Come on," she said, grabbing Yoojung's hand and pulling her out of her. "Lucy's made breakfast for us, so we've got to eat and get going."

"Where are we going?" Yoojung asked as she stumbled along behind Suyeon into the kitchen, where Lucy had cooked street toast for each of them.

"If we told you, it wouldn't be a surprise, now would it?" Lucy asked, sitting down and gesturing for Yoojung to sit down next to her.

Conceding the point, Yoojung sat down and started eating.

After they finished eating, during which Lucy and Suyeon kept prodding Yoojung to eat faster any time she slacked off, Yoojung rushed to get dressed, after which they went downstairs and Suyeon called a cab with her phone. Once they got in the cab, Suyeon handed the driver a card with their destination on it.

"Oh, you're going to have fun," the driver said after reading the card.

"Don't say anything about it," Suyeon said. "She's never been and we want it to be a surprise. Smiling, the driver mimed locking his lips together, then put the car into drive and they were on their way.

After about an hour and a half, they reached their destination. The cab let them out and then drove off. Yoojung looked around. They were an empty parking lot, in front of a wooden fence that seemed to stretch forever in each direction. Finally, noticed the sign over the gate.

"Race track?" Yoojung asked. "What are we going to do here? In case you've forgotten, I don't have my license and neither does Lucy."

"Then it's a good thing we don't need them," Lucy said, leading the way to the gate.

"What?" Yoojung asked, incredulous.

"As long as you're driving mini cars on a track, you don't need a license," Suyeon said.

Lucy knocked on the gate, which was opened by a young man in a grease-stained coverall. "You Suyeon?" he asked.

"No, I am," Suyeon said.

He looked around. "When's the rest of your group getting here?"

"This is all of us," Suyeon said. "Just us three."

He looked dubious. "Usually a group is about a dozen people," he said. "You don't get a discount because there's just three of you."

"I know," Suyeon said. "Mr. Kang told me that yesterday when I reserved the track."

The young man shrugged. "It's your money, I guess," he said. He beckoned them through the gate, closed the gate behind them, and started walking down the track. "I'm Woo-jin. Follow me," he said.

They walked about 100 yards down the track, where the mini cars were parked on the grass next to the track. "Wait right there," he said. They watched as he drove three cars off the grass onto the track, taking care that they were all lined up parallel with their front bumpers even. As he got out of the third car, he looked over at Suyeon. "I suppose I should have asked this before I moved the cars: Mr. Kang said you wanted automatic transmissions. That right?"

Suyeon nodded. "That's right," she said. "None of us know how to drive a stick, and today we just want to zoom around the track for a while."

He nodded. "Okay then, come on over and pick your cars." Once they had picked their cars, he went down the row, putting a helmet on them, making sure their safety harness was fastened correctly, and orienting them to the controls. Once he finished this, he moved off to the inner edge of the track. "Since you didn't request race timing, you're free to go as soon as I'm out of the way," he called out to them. "If you see me waving the red flag, stop your car here, because it means either you need gas or your time's up. Don't hit each other, try to stay on the track, and have fun!" He waved at them and then backed up and sat down in a lawn chair.

Lucy was the first to hit the gas. Her car's wheels chirped a little at first but soon regained traction and she was headed down the track. "Catch me if you can!" she called into the radio microphone built into her helmet.

Suyeon started forward at a more sedate pace, then stopped when she noticed that Yoojung hadn't moved yet.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter