40.

My World, My Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Doyeon and Suyeon were sitting in a booth at the coffee shop. Doyeon had just finished telling Suyeon about Yoojung's experience the night before, but she was afraid Suyeon was missing the point.

"I don't understand," Suyeon said. "So she spent a few hours talking and drinking with an actress. What's the big deal?"

Doyeon rolled her eyes. How could Suyeon work in the entertainment industry and not know these things? "Kim Go-Eun is bad news. She has a reputation - a well-deserved reputation - for preying on younger women, using them and then tossing them aside when they cease to amuse her."

"And that's what you think she was doing with Yoojung?" Suyeon asked.

Doyeon nodded. "That's exactly what I think she was trying to do with Yoojung," she said.

"But Yoojung left the party with you," Suyeon protested.

"True, so that's a point in our favor," Doyeon said, "but we don't know what happened during the time they were out on the balcony together. She has a way of saying things that worm deep inside your brain, working on you even when she's not around. She's a master manipulator."

"But how do you-" Suyeon began, then suddenly the realization dawned on her. "You were one of the. . ."

Doyeon nodded. "When I first came to Seoul." She took a sip of her coffee, then sat there silently for so long that Suyeon started to think she wasn't going to say any more about it. Then she put her cup down and went on. "I was auditioning anywhere that would take a look at me, trying to get an agency - any agency - to take me on. I didn't care if they trained me as a singer, dancer, rapper, actress or model. I was just determined that I was going to make it big." She took another sip of her coffee, then went on. "One night, this girl who was one of my roommates took me as her plus-one to a big party at a talent agent's house. I never did get to meet the agent - I don't even know if he was there - but I did meet Kim Go-Eun." She paused again, staring off into the distance, then shook her head to clear it and went on. "She was much the same then as she is now: Beautiful, charming, and underneath it all controlling and manipulative. I left the party with her, spent every spare minute for the next two weeks with her - hell, I missed classes and auditions to be with her - I'd run to her whenever she called, and then all of a sudden she lost interest, moved on to the next new girl."

"And you never told anyone," Suyeon said quietly.

Doyeon shook her head. "I just couldn't. Fortunately soon after that I was picked up by Fantagio and I didn't have to think about her again, until last night."

"So wait," Sei said, confused, "Doyeon did what?"

"She stormed out onto the balcony and basically dragged me out of the party," Yoojung said.

Sei shook her head. "That doesn't sound like Doyeon."

"Trust me, it happened," Yoojung said, taking a bag of popcorn out of the microwave and pouring into two bowls.

"Well, you did say you threw up during the taxi ride home," Sei said, picking up a bowl of popcorn and eating a piece. "Maybe she was just trying to get you out of the party to keep you from embarrassing yourself."

"But she didn't know I was drunk until she came out on the balcony," Yoojung said, "and she came out onto the balcony with the intent of taking me away from there. The fact that I ended up being a little bit drunk was just an unexpected bonus for her." She ate a couple of pieces of popcorn, obviously deep in thought, then turned to Sei and said "Look, I know Doyeon is your unnie and you don't want to think ill of her, but something is weird with what happened last night."

"Maybe it's something to do with Kim Go-Eun," Sei said. "I don't really know anything about her, though."

"I looked her up online this morning," Yoojung said. "Nothing. I mean, obviously not nothing. But nothing except official announcements about her career. There are absolutely zero rumors floating around about her."

Sei frown and she ate some more popcorn. "Do you think Doyeon was jealous?"

Yoojung shrugged. "Your guess is as good as mine."

"Did you try asking her about it?" Sei asked.

"Well, obviously I was in no shape to ask last night. Actually, I think I probably asked, but I was in no shape to listen to her answer," Yoojung said. "And this morning she was already gone with Suyeon when I woke up."

Sei shook her head. "There's something odd doing on here, but I don't think there's anything you can do except wait for Doyeon to get back and then ask her."

Lucy walked into the kitchen just in time to hear the end of this. "Ask Doyeon about what?"

"Weirdness about last night's party," Yoojung said.

"Oh, well, I'm sure Doyeon can sort it out," Lucy said. She bent down and gave Sei a kiss. "You ready to go to the grocery store?" she asked Sei.

Sei nodded. "Let me go get my purse." She looked at Yoojung. "You want to come with us?"

Yoojung shook her head. "I've still got a little bit of a headache. Being in a crowded grocery store? Not on the menu today."

Sei nodded - even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter