35.

My World, My Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Thank you for driving us around today," IU said as Suyeon merged onto the freeway.

"Absolutely not a problem," Suyeon said. "I never get enough time to practice my driving." She checked her blind spot and changed lanes. "Why aren't you driving, though? Is your car in the shop or something?"

IU laughed. "No, nothing like that. I just haven't learned how to drive yet."

Suyeon was surprised to hear this. "With everything else you can do, you haven't learned how to drive?"

"It's because I can do all the other things that I never learned to drive," IU explained. "There's only so much time in a day, and it seems like there's always something more urgent than learning to drive."

Suyeon exited the freeway and started looking around for the Crimson Dragon. "Is it bad that I can drive, then? Is it a sign I'm neglecting more important things?"

"Not at all," IU said reassuringly. "Truth be told, I'm kind of jealous of you. There's a kind of freedom that comes with being able to drive that you can't have with cabs and buses and trains. I'm actually kind of jealous of you."

Suyeon laughed. "I wish there was someone else in the car with us - no one will ever believe me if I say that IU said she was jealous of me!"

They both had a good laugh at this. "Oh, here it is - on the right," IU said, pointing out the Crimson Dragon to Suyeon. Suyeon pulled into the valet parking area, handed over her car to the valet, and she and IU made their way into the club. There was a smattering of flashes from paparazzi as they walked up to the door, but not as many as Suyeon had feared. Once they were inside, the hostess recognized them and bowed.

"If you'll come with me, I'll take you to your party," she said, leading them deeper into the club. "We were told to expect you," she added. "Your friends only got here a  few minutes before you." By this time they had reached the door of Sei and Lucy's room; the hostess opened the door to let them in, then closed it behind them.

Sei and Lucy jumped up as soon as they saw IU and Suyeon and bowed to them. "Hello unnies," Lucy said with a smile. "We're so happy you could join us."

IU returned their bow, and out of the corner of her eye she saw Suyeon doing the same. "Thank you for inviting us," IU said. She noticed that the others seemed to waiting for her, so she sat down at the table, then as the others sat down, she said "And now we're going to speak informally for the rest of the night. You don't have to act like your manager is looking over your shoulder."

At this point the door opened and the waiter came in, bringing the appetizers that Sei and Lucy had ordered, as well as two pitchers of beer and two bottles of soju. "Will there be anything else?" he said.

"Not right now," Lucy said. "Maybe check back in a while, see if we're ready to order our courses?"

"Of course, ma'am," the waiter said with a slight bow. "Enjoy your starters. If you need me for anything, the button on the table by your right hand will summon me." And with that, he bowed and left the room.

"So," IU said, looking at Suyeon, "I'll need to find a special boyfriend from Sei in about 2-1/2 years and for Lucy in about 3?"

"That sounds about-" Suyeon began, but then she noticed the panicked look on Lucy's face and stopped. "What is it Lucy?"

"Ummmm..." Lucy hesitated. She looked at Sei and then back at Suyeon. "Did you tell her about?" She pointed to Sei with her eyes.

IU laughed. "Yes, Lucy," she said, "Suyeon told me about you and Sei. I think you two make a great couple, by the way. She told me that other than her and Elly, all the members of Weki Meki would need special boyfriends, to help them stay in the closet by pretending to date."

"Is that really necessary?" Sei asked. "Couldn't we just. . . not date?"

IU shook her head. "Not for very long. If you're never seen dating a guy but the paparazzi always see you out with Lucy, it won't take long for people to put two and two together."

"That makes sense," Lucy said with a nod. "So-" She stopped suddenly when she noticed Sei was looking around the table, apparently searching for something and not finding it. "What is it, Sei?" she asked.

"I was looking for the radish kimchi," Sei said. "I think the waiter might have forgotten it."

Lucy looked around the table. "You're right," she said. "I'll call him." She reached for the button to call the waiter, only to have Sei grab her wrist and stop her.

"No, you don't have to do that," Sei said. "I'll just eat something else."

"Sei," Lucy said, prying Sei's fingers off her arm, "do you remember what we talked about in the car on the way here?" Having finally freed her arm, she pressed the button. Much more quickly than seemed reasonable, the waiter had re-entered the room.

"What can I do for you, ma'am?" he asked as he bowed.

"We're supposed to have some radish kimchi," Lucy said, gesturing toward the table. "The kitchen must have forgotten it."

"I'll look into it right away, ma'am," the waiter said, and with another bow he backed out of the room, shutting the door behind him.

"See?" Lucy asked, looking at Sei. "He wasn't upset; we weren't bothering him. Restaurant staff want guests to be happy, so they'll speak well of the restaurant and come back and bring friends."

"It just seems-" Sei began, only to be interrupted by the reappearance of the waiter.

"Here is your radish kimchi," he said, bowing as he put the bowl on the table, and here's a complementary bowl of pa-kimchi to make up for your trouble. Will there be anything else? Are you ready to order your entrees yet?"

"Not quite yet, I don't think," IU said. "How about it we call you when we're ready, so you don't have to keep checking on us?"

The waiter sketched a bow in IU's direction. "If that pleases you, ma'am. Always feel free to call me if you need anything." And just as quickly as he had come, he was gone again.

Suyeon looked at Lucy. "What was the deal with the button there? Why didn't Sei want you to push the button?"

Lucy glanced at Sei, who nodded, then turned back to Suyeon. "Sei's still not entirely comfortable at fancy restaurants like this. She doesn't want to be a bother to the staff."

"I can relate to that," IU said. Looking at Sei, she went on. "I was very poor when I was young, so when I became an idol and had to eat at fancy restaurants, I was very nervous. What if I did the wrong thing? What if I offended somebody? What if I look ridiculous? Plus, I knew how hard restaurant staff work, and I didn't want to make their work any more difficult."

"What did you do?" Sei asked.

"One day I went out to eat with some other idols and I ended up eating a meal I didn't like because the waiter brought me the wrong meal and I'd rather just eat it than call him back and request to be brought the meal I had actually ordered." IU said, between bites of kimchi and rice. "When I told my manager about it later, he basically told me the same things Lucy just told you. Restaurant staff, especially at a high end restaurant like this, take great pride in their work. They want you to enjoy your meal, and if they make a mistake, they want a chance to try to make it right."

"Well, I'm glad the waiter forgot the radish kimchi," Suyeon said around a bite of rice and kimchi.

"Why?" Sei asked, looking confused.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter