32.

My World, My Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sei sat looking glumly out the window when Doyeon came up behind her. "Hey," Doyeon said. When Sei didn't respond, Doyeon repeated herself louder, "Hey. Sei!" After the third repetition, Sei shook her head as if waking up and turned to Doyeon.

"What's up with you?" Doyeon asked. "You're just sitting there staring out the window and I had a hard time getting your attention. Is something wrong?"

Sei leaned back and crossed her arms. "I'm just frustrated. Lucy and I were supposed to go to the park today, but it's been raining all day."

Doyeon nodded. "Yeah. It's not the best weather for a day off." She looked around. "Where's Lucy?"

Sei gestured vaguely in the direction of the big bedroom. "She got so bored she fell asleep."

Doyeon smiled down at Sei. "Tell you what," she said, "I was about to go to the kitchen to bake some cupcakes. Do you want to come along so you can decorate a special cupcake for Lucy?"

Sei smiled. "Sure! Sounds like fun!" She got up and followed Doyeon into the kitchen.

They mixed up the batter and put the cupcakes on to bake, then they started mixing up the frosting.

"So," Sei said, "I don't think I've ever heard the story of how you and Yoojung got together. You've been together since you were in I.O.I right?"

Doyeon shook her head. "Since before that - we started dating during the filming of Produce 101."

"We've got a few more minutes until the cupcakes are done," Sei said, sitting down and leaning on the table with her chin in her hands, "how about telling me the story?"

Doyeon waved dismissively. "Oh, you don't want to hear that!"

"Sure I do!" Sei said, bouncing in her seat. "How did it happen? Was it love at first sight?"

Doyeon laughed. "Love at first sight? Not hardly!"

"Well then how did it happen?" Sei asked.

"Well," Doyeon said, "you remember what it was like at the beginning of Produce 101 - the producers were trying to deal with the fact that they had 101 girls to sort through and get ranked as soon as possible."

"I remember that," Sei said, "but I got eliminated fairly early, so I don't know much of what went on beyond that."

"When it got down to about 40 girls, the producers slowed down the pace of eliminations, so you had time to start getting to know your competitors, "Doyeon said, "and there was one girl who seemed to always get in the way of whatever I was trying to do. If I wanted to sing a particular song, she was already learning it. If I wanted to do the rap for a particular number, she had already written one. She was always the first to learn any new choreography and was a favorite of the producers and instructors. This girl had become my arch-enemy - I couldn't stand her and I'd do anything to get her eliminated."

"And that was Yoojung?" Sei asked.

Doyeon nodded. "That was Yoojung."

"So what happened," Sei asked. "How did things get turned around?"

Doyeon stared off into the distance, thinking for a moment. "One night, I was sneaking back to the dormitory after curfew - I'd been practicing the choreography extra hard so hopefully I could get a solo in the next episode - when I almost tripped over someone who was sitting in the stairwell crying."

"And that was Yoojung again?" Sei asked.

Doyeon nodded. "That was Yoojung. She was crying because she missed her family and because none of the other girls wanted to be friends with her. But she was so pitiful, sitting in the stairwell, curled up into a little ball and crying, that I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. I sat down on the stairs next to her, put my arm around her shoulder, and let her cry it out."

"And that was when you fell for her?" Sei asked.

Doyeon shook her head. "Not quite. But it was when I stopped hating her, and I started keeping an eye on her. And then I noticed that she wasn't as bad as I'd thought - yes, she always did well in the competition, but it was because she worked hard and she was just that good, not because she ever tried to sabotage anyone else, like some of the girls did."

"And then you feel for her?" Sei asked.

"I was starting to," Doyeon agreed. "But I didn't really fall until one night when we'd gotten down to about 2

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter