41.

My World, My Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sei walked into the apartment to see Doyeon and Suyeon sitting on the couch, intently staring at the door. She stopped short, almost causing Lucy to run into her.

"What. . . what's going on?" Sei asked as she moved to the side so that Lucy could come in and close the door.

"Yoojung still hasn't come back," Doyeon said, her face grim.

"And you haven't called her?" Lucy asked.

"Of course we-" Doyeon began, then realized she was starting to yell at Lucy, who'd done nothing to deserve getting yelled at. "We tried calling her, but apparently her phone's turned off."

Sei's face took on a distinctly worried cast. "Do you think she's. . ." She trailed off, unwilling to finish the question.

"I don't know what to think," Doyeon said, "but that's the only explanation that makes sense. I-"

Just then the door opened behind Lucy and Yoojung came in.

"Where were you?" Doyeon asked, her voice menacing in a way the others had never heard before.

"Hi Doyeon! Nice to see you!" Yoojung said, in a tone that gave the lie to her words.

Sei, Lucy, and Suyeon moved to the edges of the room, out of the line of fire, as this confrontation between Doyeon and Yoojung was shaping up to be the fight of the century.

"Were you out with Kim Go-Eun?" Doyeon asked, her voice low and even, cutting through the air like a knife.

"And what if I was?" Yoojung asked. "Am I not allowed to have friends outside Weki Meki now?"

"That's not it," Doyeon said. "I'm scared for you! Kim Go-Eun is bad news!"

"What are you talking about?" Yoojung asked. "She's never been anything but nice to me. I mean, yeah, she drinks a little, but lots of people do that. What are you so worried about?" Suddenly a look of recognition dawned on Yoojung's face. "I see. You've heard the rumors about her."

"Rumors?" Doyeon asked, momentarily taken aback my Yoojung's sudden change of tack.

Yoojung nodded. "She warmed me about this. She's been the victim of a lot of gossip and rumors being spread about her. Don't worry about it. It's just gossip. There's nothing to it."

"Just gossip?" Doyeon asked, incredulous. "She's lying to you. She's a predator."

Yoojung scoffed. "She couldn't be. She's so nice. I just spent a couple of hours chatting with her in a coffee shop and she's perfectly nice."

"That's what she wants to you to think," Doyeon said. "Let me guess: You remind her to herself when she was younger. She's got a feeling about you - there are great things in your future. You're so empathic - you understand her better than anyone."

Yoojung didn't have to say anything - the stunned look on her face told them all that Kim Go-Eun had said exactly these things to her.

Doyeon nodded. "She said exactly those things to me. And to any number of young singers, models, actresses, and wannabes over the years."

"What?" Yoojung asked.

Doyeon pulled out her phone, swiped the screen a couple of times, and held it out to show Yoojung a picture of a much younger Doyeon drinking in a bar with a slightly younger-looking Kim Go-Eun. "Before I joined Fantagio, I was one of her toys," Doyeon said. "Oh, I didn't see it that way. I thought I was so lucky to have such a successful woman taking an interest in me. But I was just a toy for her. And you know what kids do with toys when they get tired of them? They throw them away."

Yoojung just stood there, her eyes welling up. She started to cry, and then to cry harder. Doyeon stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Yoojung, and Yoojung just collapsed into her. Doyeon almost fell but managed to gently lower Yoojung to the floor and sat there Yoojung's hair as the tears continued to flow.

Suyeon was going to take Sei and Lucy out of the apartment, but Doyeon and Yoojung were blocking the door, so she ushered them into the big bedroom, then went in after them  and shut the door.

"Wow, that was hard to see," Lucy said.

Sei nodded in agreement. "I'm going to text Rina and Lua and tell them to stay out a little longer."

"I seems like they've already decided to do that," Suyeon said, "but giving them official notice of the state of things here can't hurt."

They all sat quietly for a minute, each lost within their own thoughts, until eventually Lucy asked "What do we do now?"

Suyeon shrugged. "I'm not sure," she said. "I just. . . this is not something I was prepared for."

"I don't think any of us were prepared for this," Sei said, sniffling and wiping her eyes. "Doyeon and Yoojung were together before Weki Meki was brought together. We've never been a band without them being together."

"I don't think they're going to split up," Suyeon said, reaching you and patting Sei on the shoulder. "If they were going to split up, Doyeon wouldn't have fought so hard to protect Yoojung from Kim Go-Eun. And I really don't think Yoojung saw Kim Go-Eun as anything more than a friend. On the other hand, if Doyeon hadn't known who Kim Go-Eun was, who knows what could have happened. I'm just glad we're between promotions right now - I can't imagine them having to deal with this while simultaneously looking happy and untroubled for the Ki-Lings."

For the next few days, they were all rather quiet and subdued. Suyeon's prediction that Doyeon and Yoojung wouldn't break up turned out to be correct. After a couple of days, Suyeon's being glad that they weren't in a promotion turned into wishing that they were in a promotion - Yoojung was so distraught over the events that she really needed something to snap her out of it. On top of that, Sei was still upset over things - none of them had realized how much she looked at Doyeon and Yoojung for a model of a successful lesbian relationship and consequently how much it would upset her if they broke up. When neither of them cheered up after a couple of days, Suyeon realized that something had to be done. She surreptitiously called Doyeon and Lucy into the small room for a meeting to try to figure out what they could possibly do.

"I'm sure you know what problem we've got to deal with here," Suyeon said.

"Sei and Yoojung," Lucy said, while Doyeon nodded emphatically in agreement.

"Exactly," Suyeon said. "I know something needs to be done, but I'm not exactly sure of what, so I was hoping you two might have some ideas."

Lucy just shook her head and looked hopefully at Doyeon, who was obviously deep in thought. She and Suyeon just sat and waited for Doyeon to have an idea.

"We've got to shock them, put them in unfamiliar situations," Doyeon said. "Something to snap them out of the ruts they've fallen into and hopefully put them on a better path forward."

"I like the sounds of this idea," Suyeon said, "but I was hoping you'd have something a little more like a plan."

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter