Day 6 - The Best Present

Idol Advent [Christmas Drabble Series]

Sungjin – The Best Present

You were about to take your seat at the dining table for Christmas lunch when you felt an unmistakable change within your body. You shook your head rapidly and glanced at your husband in fright. “I refuse to have a baby on Christmas!”

“You’re not due for another two weeks, don’t stress,” Sungjin assured but you gripped onto his arm as a wave of intense pain overwhelmed you.

You groaned. “This isn’t happening!”

“I think it is,” he mumbled, his own face tense with the sudden realisation of the situation, and the tight grip you had on his arm too.

Lunch was forgotten about as you raced around your home, your guests helping you get into the car and off to the hospital. You had hoped this wouldn’t happen today. As much as you were over being pregnant, you had wanted to spend the day as planned.

This wasn’t planned at all.

But when you heard the screams of your daughter entering the world, you forgot all about how caught off guard you had been three hours ago. You focused on her cries and the euphoric feeling of her being placed over your chest, tearing up instantly.

You glanced up at Sungjin as he moved in beside you both, his own emotions falling as steady as yours.

The best present had arrived right on time.