Bold Moves

The Bad Girl's Good Luck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tying my hair up in a tight ponytail, I examine myself in the mirror, scanning anything that would come off as skimpy or too flashy. Since the weather just about has jack frost nipping at your nose, my outfits have consisted of anything that was long and cozy. Once I felt like I was content with my ponytail, after redoing it three times already, I gave a dull sigh. Today wouldn't be anything special just like every other day transpires.

The instrumental to TWICE’s What Is Love? started playing, meaning that someone was calling. Leaning over my bed to take a better look, a beloved face came on the screen. With a thrilled smile, I swipe across to be met by an enthusiastic face.

"Hii, mommy!" My three-year old greeted me, smiling to the point where his perky cheeks looked like they were aching from overdoing it. The tiny gap between his front teeth showed and it was irresistible to not giggle.

"Hey, my boy. How are you? Where's grandma?"

He stuck his face in the camera, taking up the entire screen. Without letting him know, I sneakily took screenshots of his beaming face, reminding myself to post these on Snapchat later.

"She's in the kitchen right now. I'll go to here. Well how is you? How's school? Is Auntie Twins there?"

Conner has always been a sprightly little boy. He's charismatic, energetic, gets along with everyone, and very talkative; the exact opposite of my actual character. I had him when I was only fifteen and my boyfriend at that time was seventeen. We were both in love, crazy for each other, and just two teenagers who thought you couldn't get pregnant if it's your first time. Long story short, he abandoned me the minute he found out. My mom was ready to take the whole situation to court but I begged her not to. The thought of raising a child is frightening. You're bringing life into this world at such a young age. But with the help of my family, everything was bearable. I wouldn't exchange Conner for anything in this world.

Hearing him ramble made my heart lighter. I was smiling too much that my cheeks felt tired. "I'm doing alright. Going to school in a few minutes. Auntie Twins are downstairs."

Connor passed the tablet to my mother, her face showing up on screen. "Hi, honey. How's everything?"

"Hey, mom. I just finished getting ready and about to head to school in a bit." Hitching my bag up my shoulders by one of the slings. The moment I took a step towards the door, it swung open, Sana walking right in like she had the lawful rights to this place.

"Sana! I could've been changing in your here!" I kid, watching her reaction to it.

Swatting a hand in the air and dismissing my poor joke, Sana overexerted a pout.

"Oh, honey. We both know there's not much there to show." She walked further into the room, approaching me with a sassy look on her dramatic face.

The instant I open my mouth, about to answer back to Sana's satirical comment, my mother wheezed out the biggest laugh she could muster up. It was so loud to the point where her voice was strong enough to slice through the phone cords. Sana and I jerked from being startled and both stared at my phone, seeing my mother whine like a banshee.

"I-I'm sorry, honey. That was too.." Catching her breath, my mother started to slap her knee repeatedly. "F-hu-nny."

"MOM!" It felt like the morning was going to be full of my family making fun of me because they feel like it. I smacked my forehead, clearly annoyed with the exchange of Sana and my mom.

"Hey, Aunt Sachiko!" Sana peeked over my shoulder, laying her chin.

As soon as he heard that annoying voice, Connor poked his head into the screen, gasping in amazement. His smile seemed to bean brighter whenever he saw his favorite aunt.

"Hi, Auntie Sana!"

"Sup, ConMan! How's my winner doing?"

"Oh I'm okay. I made it on the soccer team and scored my first goal. Everybody loved me. You should've seen it. I wish you, Auntie Vanna, and mommy were there to watch my game." It was inevitable to not smile while listening to his long-winded tale. After some time of Connor going about his day to Sana, I didn't realize I was spacing out.

"Mommy..MOMMY!"

"Hmm? Yes, baby?"

Connor rolled his eyes at me, letting me know that he was displeased with my obliviousness and sighed. "I said...When are you guys coming home?"

"Oh! Christmas. And it's only to visit, sweetheart."

"To visit? Why?" The gloomy expression on his face accompanied with his bottom lip stuck out made my heart heavy.

"You know that times are tough nowadays, Connor. Be patient." My mother took this chance to console Connor, rubbing his back to comfort hm. But the pout on his face cemented and looking at him through the screen was enough to make my heart break.

My eyes started to burn, about to release my first tear drop. Sana turned around, seeing my shaken up state and grabbed the phone from my hands.

"Yo, we..uhh..gotta go to school now, ConMan. We'll chat with you later again this evening, alright?"

Connor was hesitant at first but soon agreed to Sana's proposition. "Be there or be square!" He pointed up a finger gun at Sana, faking to shoot.

Putting up a hand in defense, Sana laughed. "Alright, whatever you say. Love you, bud. Bye!"

"Luff you too! Bye, mommy. I luff youuu!"

Dabbing the corners of my eyes with my sleeve, I lifted my head up to ace my son. "I love you more, baby boy. Be good, okay?" We both ended the videocall, blowing kissy faces at each other through the screen.

Handing me back my phone, Sana and I headed down the stairs. She glanced at me once and went back to watching his step.

"You alright?" She asked, trying to cheer me up before we arrived to school.

"Yeah, just thinking." There were several thoughts bubbling inside my head. The biggest one out of all of them surfaced when Sana decided to burst my bubble.

"You never told me how Chaeyoung reacted when she found out about Connor."

That made my heart stop and for both of us to halt at the foot of the stairs. Sana took the hint of my deadpan silence.

"You didn't ing tell her yet?!"

Vanna was startled and puzzled by why Sana had yelled. Immediately getting up from the couch in the living room, she jogged over to us.

"Woah. What's happening?"

"It's been three months already, Mina."

Once it hit Vanna what she was talking about, she nodded silently and stepped back, probably not wanting be involved in this.

"I know."

"So she has no idea at all?"

"Yeah."

"I.." Sana was at a loss for words, wailing her arms about, circling the living room. "Mina Myoui, you are better than this." She held on to my shoulders tightly, looking me fairly in the eyes.

"I'm just waiting for the right moment to tell her."

"Oh, then in that case, you completely know what you're doing and have nothing to worry about." Releasing my shoulders, Sana's tone suddenly turned upbeat, almost sarcastic.

Getting poignant in a drastic amount of time gave me whiplash, blinking a few times once Sana let go of me. Without another word, she sprung for the door. I silently followed after, Vanna right behind me. Just as we were about to hop into the car, Vanna kindly patted my back, giving me a gentle smile before she got in.

"For your sake, Connor's, and Chaeyoung's. Tell her, Minari."

It was a silent ride all the way to school. We didn't say anything as we parted ways. Chaeyoung was the first one to meet me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter