Chapter 7

One Letter Coffee

Junmyeon wasn’t at work that Wednesday. It was his first time having a day off from work. It wasn’t because he didn’t want to work, because he loved his job. He loved everything about it and always looked forward to go to work and see Chanyeol and Jongdae. 

He was sick.

It was funny really. Just a while ago he had fussed over Jongdae - and that guy - that they could catch a cold or get pneumonia, but in the end he was the one with the cold. He had originally planned on just going to work, it was just a light fever and a headache, but he decided against it. He didn’t want to stand by the counter and work with costumers or make food like this. It was unsanitary. What if he gave someone else a cold?

 

So Chanyeol, being the angel he was, stepped in for him. Jongdae helped of course. Junmyeon called the two once in a while, sending a few texts as well, to make sure they were doing okay and nothing was on fire or broken. 

"Junmyeon. Chill," Jongdae said, holding his phone against his ear with his shoulder while rolling out some dough with a rolling pin. "Take a pill and go to bed. We’re doing fine," he assured the other. "You sure?" Jongdae sighed. "Yes, mom. We’re doing just fine. Nothing’s on fire, there’s no flour everywhere and I did see your text about the LaVa recipe, I know how to make it too you know."

"You sure?"

"Go to bed, Junmyeon. Don’t stress."

"You s-."

"Oh look, a customer. I got to go, bye!" Jongdae quickly said, hearing the door. He hung up before Junmyeon could say anything else, placed his rolling pin down and shoving his phone back into his back pocket before exiting the back of the shop to go greet the customer. He stopped as he saw who it was. It was the guy. Kris or whatever his name was. 

"Hello! Welcome to See You Latte Coffee Shop!" he greeted him with a smile. "What can I get you, mysterious latte guy?" he asked and the guy raised an eyebrow. "Mysterious latte guy?" Jongdae rested his elbows on the counter, his chin in his palms. "Yeah. You’re mysterious and you order a lot of lattes. Mysterious latte guy."

 

"Alright then." The guy pulled out his wallet. "I’ll take a regular coffee," he said and Jongdae raised an eyebrow. "What?" The taller looked a little confused at him. "Did I say something?" Jongdae had reached for a plastic cup, ready to make Junmyeon’s specialty, but stopped as the guy told him what he wanted. A regular coffee? "Don’t you usually order lattes? What about the letter?" 

"What if I put it on the house?" Jongdae then suggested. "For free? You sure?" Junmyeon was not going to like this, but what he didn’t know, wouldn’t hurt him. "Yeah. It might not be as good as Junmyeon’s, but I’ll try my best." He picked up the cup he had been reaching for. "Junmyeon? I thought his name was Suho."

"You can call him that if you want, but it’s just a nickname," Jongdae told him, picking up a pen. "So. What letter do you want today?" 

 

"O." Jongdae scribbled down the letter and went to make the guy a latte and a regular, black coffee. He returned a while later, placing the two cups down on the counter. "Here you go. Have a nice day, mysterious latte guy!"

"You too." And then he was gone, leaving Jongdae wondering what he needed the cups for once again. 

 

"Chanyeol! Guess who was just here." The taller looked up from the tomato he was currently cutting. "That guy?" he asked. Jongdae nodded. "Yup. He asked for another letter, well, he asked for another letter because I offered him a latte and asked which letter he wanted today."

"You didn’t give him one for free did you?" Jongdae shrugged. "Maybe..." he admitted and Chanyeol sighed. "Just don’t tell Junmyeon that."

"I won’t. Who do you think I am?"

 

They closed around five that day. Jongdae had a cup of hot chocolate in his hand that he was planning on giving to Junmyeon. "Do you know where he lives?" Jongdae asked, watching Chanyeol lock the door and shove the key into the pocket of his raincoat. "I think so."

They walked in silence, neither of the two saying anything during the short walk to the apartment building Chanyeol had told him Junmyeon lived in. Jongdae was the one who finally broke the silence, looking at the building in front of them. "Are you sure he lives here?" he asked. "It’d be pretty awkward if we just showed up at some random person’s apartment."

"I’m almost a hundred percent sure he lives here." Chanyeol took a look at his phone. "Sixth floor. Apartment 120 if I’m not wrong." 

 

The two headed into the building and made their way up the stairs as the elevator was apparently broken. By the time they reached the fourth floor, Jongdae was out of breath and his steps were slowing down by the time they reached the fifth. "I’m tired. Are we there yet?"

Chanyeol stopped in front of a door on the sixth floor and Jongdae watched him ring the doorbell. They waited for a minute or so and Jongdae was starting to wonder if Junmyeon wasn’t home. The door finally opened though and it seemed like Chanyeol was right. Junmyeon did live there. "What are you two doing here?" Junmyeon was only wearing a big, cozy looking sweater and underwear, at least Jongdae hoped he was. "We came by to give you this." Jongdae handed the older the cup of hot chocolate. "And to see how you were doing," Chanyeol added with a smile. 

 

Junmyeon coughed into the crook of his elbow, taking a step to the side. "Do you wanna come in?" The two nodded and walked right into Junmyeon’s apartment. It was a nice apartment. Nothing too big, but big enough for one person. The walls were white, making the apartment really bright and lively. There was a big, grey couch in the corner, filled with blankets and pillows. Junmyeon must’ve been sleeping there. Other than a couch there was a tv, a bookshelf, a coffee table and a desk placed in a corner. 

Jongdae could see into the kitchen from where he was standing and just like the living room it was bright with white walls. He could see some dirty bowls and some mugs, probably from Junmyeon having been too lazy to clean them.

"Your apartment’s really nice," Chanyeol said. Junmyeon smiled at him, walking over to the couch and sitting down. "Thanks." He noticed the two just standing there and patted the spot beside him. "You can sit down if you want. You don’t have to just stand there."

 

"So. How did you guys do alone today?" Junmyeon asked and took a sip of his hot chocolate. "Great," Jongdae said. "You should take more days off. You work everyday, Jun." Chanyeol nodded in agreement. "Yeah. We can handle the coffee shop on our own. There’s nothing to worry about, Junmyeon," he said. "You deserve a day off once in a while."

"But I like working," Junmyeon said. "I enjoy myself more at work than at home. I prefer working instead of laying around, watching TV series or movies." 

"Take some days off and hang out with us," Jongdae said. Junmyeon raised an eyebrow. "Then who’s going to watch the coffee shop?" he asked. "You could always replace the poster on the door and hire someone new."

 

"Replace it? What do you mean replace it?" Junmyeon asked. "Oh right. I forgot to tell you. It flew away." No wonder no one had asked to work there then. Junmyeon had just thought no one wanted to. 

"That’s not such a bad idea."