Chapter 24

One Letter Coffee

A little while later they were back at the restaurant. Yifan let go of Junmyeon’s hand, who almost didn’t let go of his as he was too busy looking inside, so he could open the door for him. It was dark again, the only source of light being the back of the restaurant and the lit candle on the table that hadn’t been there before they left.

"They’re probably in the back, I’ll be right back in a second. You just go ahead and sit down." Yifan disappeared into the back, leaving Junmyeon standing there in the dark. 

 

Junmyeon could hear voices from the back of the restaurant from where he was sitting, just glancing around the restaurant. It was now that he noticed all the tables and chairs were pushed off to the side, leaving only the table he was sitting by. 

"What do you mean doesn’t work?"

"I was mixing the frosting like you told me to, or trying to, but it doesn’t even work. Do you have batteries?"

"It’s not even plugged in. Of course it’s not working."

 

"Luhan! Don’t eat it. It’s for the cake, the cake for my date, not you."

"I was taste testing it. You wouldn’t want to poison your date would you?"

"I trust Yixing. I don’t think he’d poison my date, now stop eating the frost-."

 

"Oh wow, the mixer’s working."

 

The voices stopped and Junmyeon turned to look. What was that about? Cake? Was that the dessert? A cake with frosting? That sounded very good actually. Junmyeon liked cake. Which kind was it though?

He was about to turn back around, but stopped as he noticed Yifan coming back. 

 

"You’ve got a little frosting right here," Junmyeon eventually said after a moment of silence, pointing a finger to his own chin, before slowly making a big circle around his entire face. "Here." He picked up a napkin from the table before standing up. "Take this." 

He walked over so he could hand the taller the napkin. "Thanks. I’ll be right back, I just have to check on our dessert."

"Alright. Just make sure it doesn’t catch on fire this time," Junmyeon jokingly said and the taller smiled, wiping the frosting off his chin. "No promises."

 

Yifan returned a little while later, but not alone. He was followed by two other guys. Junmyeon recognised one of them as the one who had been sitting beside Yifan at the restaurant, but he’d never seen the second guy. They must’ve been Luhan and Zitao. 

"Hi. I’m Luhan, Yifan’s accountant and the reason you’re on this lovely date right here," the one he’d never seen before said, walking over as Junmyeon stood up to greet the two. "If it wasn’t for me you’d be eating pizza and drinking Coca-Cola at some cheap restaurant so you better be thankful."

"He’s just kidding," Yifan said, pulling his chair back and sitting down. "I might not be a good date-planner, but I’d be more romantic than that." Luhan just scoffed. 

 

"It’s nice to meet you," Junmyeon said, smiling politely as he shook his hand. "I’m Junmyeon as you probably already know."

"I do. Yifan hasn’t shut up about you ever since he met you, but I’ve known you as "the cute barista named Suho" for a while-."

"Okay, great, Luhan. You can go now. You have budgets to look at, don’t you?" Yifan said, interrupting him. "Or make or something..." Junmyeon swore he could see a faint pink colour spread across Yifan’s cheeks, but it was difficult to see as the taller’s glass of wine was in the way.

"Excuse me. I’m not at work right now and you should be thankful. I’m the reason you’re here with him."

 

"I’m Zitao," the other male said before the two could continue bickering. "Yifan’s assistant." Junmyeon smiled at him as well as he shook his hand. "Junmyeon."

"And the one who set the dessert on fire." Junmyeon turned around to see Yixing standing there as well, along with Minseok, carrying what must’ve been the cake they talked about. It looked good, covered in frosting and decorated with a few green leaves of some sort.

"It was an accident."

"Uh huh."

The chef moved the candle a bit to the side so he could place the cake down. Minseok placed two plates down as well as some forks and Junmyeon finally sat down again.

 

"What type of cake is this?" Junmyeon asked. The four others had gone back into the back of the restaurant, leaving the two alone with their cake. 

"It’s a lavender cake," Yifan replied. Lavender? Was that planned or was it just a coincidence after the first dessert was caught in fire? "With vanilla frosting."

"As in a lavender vanilla cake?"

"Yeah."

Junmyeon smiled. That was kind of cute actually. A cake with lavender and vanilla, just like the lattes that had gotten them togetherness in the first place. "It looks good. I can’t wait to taste it." Yifan looked up at him and smiled. 

 

Junmyeon didn’t regret going on that date with Yifan.