Chapter 5

One Letter Coffee

The three’s heads turned, wondering who was crazy enough to go out in this weather. Not only was it raining, there was practically a storm outside. 

 

It was him. The tall guy, Kris, or whatever his name actually was. What was he doing here this late in this weather? He usually came here in the morning after the shop opened. Never this late. 

Junmyeon was the first to get up. The guy was soaked. His coat, which was not a raincoat, was dripping and his hair was completely wet. He looked like he had taken a shower with all his clothes on. "Do you want a towel?" he asked, but was already walking towards the back of the coffee shop to go get the towel Jongdae had left back there. 

The guy ran a hand through his wet hair, pushing the dripping locks out of his face. "Yeah. A towel would be nice," he replied and Junmyeon quickly went to fetch the towel. 

 

"Here." Junmyeon handed the towel to the taller male and watched as he used it to dry his face and hair. "I don’t think I have any clothes you could borrow," he said, "and even if I did, they’d be a little too small-. Not that you’re... It’s not that you’re not fit or skinny or anything," he quickly added. "It’s just that you’re taller-. Chanyeol. Do you have anything?"

"I have a raincoat." Junmyeon spun around on his heels, disappearing into the back of the shop. He returned a few seconds later with Chanyeol’s coat in his hands. "I guess it’s better than wearing the wet one," he said with a small smile, handing it to the guy. "Thanks."

 

Just like with Jongdae, he offered the guy a cup of hot chocolate which he promptly accepted, pulling out his also soaked wallet. Junmyeon stopped him. "No no. It’s fine. It’s on the house. I’m not going to make you pay me for helping you." The guy draped his own coat over a chair, putting on Chanyeol’s. 

 

"Maybe you should take your shirt off."

 

Junmyeon had never in his entire existence regretted saying anything as much as he had right then. Why did he say that? He could’ve said anything else and he chose to say that. In the matter of milliseconds, his face was bright red and he opened his mouth to explain himself. From the table he had been sitting at he could hear Jongdae’s loud laughter. A second later Chanyeol was laughing just as loud with him. 

"I meant like.. Since your clothes are wet you should take them off-." He could hear the two by the table laughing even harder, clearly enjoying this a lot more than Junmyeon was. "You should probably take your sweater off or something since it’s wet and you could catch a cold or even pneumonia," he explained. "Not all your clothes." At this point he was almost worried Jongdae and Chanyeol were going to die of laughter. "I’m not saying you have to though. It’s just a good idea..." he continued. "Yeah.." 

 

"I think I’m dying," Jongdae said in between laughing, audibly out of breath. "That’s the most hilarious thing I’ve ever heard come from your mouth." Chanyeol just nodded, trying to calm himself down again. Eventually the two managed to calm down and Jongdae cleared his throat. "Sorry. Continue."

 

The guy didn’t seem bothered by Junmyeon’s choice of words. He flashed him a polite smile. "You’re probably right," he said. "I don’t really want to get sick." The guy pulled off Chanyeol’s raincoat, handing it to Junmyeon. What was he doing? He wasn’t actually going to undress, right? Right? He was in the middle of a coffee shop with three random guys after all. 

Junmyeon turned away as he realised he was actually going to take it off. He didn’t want to seem rude by staring. He used the time the guy took his sweater off, putting Chanyeol’s jacket back on, to get him that hot chocolate he had offered. 

 

The three sat in silence as the guy drank his hot chocolate, not saying anything. It was tempting to ask what the cups with the letters on were for, but he didn’t want to seem nosy. It was probably nothing anyway. It was just cups with random letters on them. 

He was still curious, though. Was he spelling something out? Was his name actually Kris or was that a part of the random letter thing too? Maybe he was overthinking this. They were cups and he didn’t even know the guy. He’d been at the coffee shop like five times at most. 

 

Before Junmyeon knew it, the guy was getting up to leave. His coat and sweater were almost dry where they were hanging by the heater. His cup was empty and he used the back of his hand to wipe his nicely shaped lips. "I better get home before it gets even worse out," he said, handing Chanyeol his coat back. "Thanks for the hot chocolate, Suho."

He went and grabbed his sweater, feeling the fabric before putting it on. He grabbed his coat and walked to the door. "Bye."

The three still sitting by the table watched as he left. It was still pouring outside and Junmyeon could see him running, probably on his way home. 

 

"I don’t think I’ve ever laughed that much in my life," Jongdae said and chuckled. "That was hilarious. I’ve never heard anyone say that to anyone before. Thanks for that, Junmyeon." Junmyeon looked at him, his eyebrows furrowed. "I didn’t mean to say it like that," he said. "I just didn’t want him to sit here completely soaked and get a cold or something."

"Okay. It’s still hilarious though."