Chapter 12

One Letter Coffee

"Are you drooling?"

 

Junmyeon quickly shook his head. "No no. I just zoned out and spilled my water," he said and looked down at his food. Luckily it had just been water, and not drool, so his food was still edible. "Uh huh." The younger didn’t sound convinced. 

"I know he’s a good looking guy, but please don’t drool all over your food," he said and Junmyeon looked up at him. "What?" he said, not sure if he’d heard correctly. "I’m trying to enjoy my soup dumplings over here," Jongdae continued, not having listened to him. 

"I’m sorry, what did you say?"

Jongdae wasn’t looking at him, busy poking around in his food. "I’m trying to enjoy my soup dumplings?" He finally picked up one of the dumplings. "No, before that." Junmyeon waited as Jongdae chewed. The student opened his mouth to reply, but Chanyeol interrupted him before he could do so. "He said he knows the guy’s good looking, but please don’t drool all over your food. Which I agree with, it’s gross, Jun." Jongdae just nodded.

 

"I was not drooling," Junmyeon protested. "It was water. Honestly." The two looked at each other for a moment. "Alright. Whatever you say, Jun. Whatever you say."

 

After a while, once he was sure the guy wasn’t looking anymore and that his cheeks weren’t flushed pink anymore after that embarrassment, looked back over at him. He wasn’t looking. He wasn’t even there actually. The group of three was gone.

 

The four left as well a little while later. Sehun was going the other way and left them by the restaurant, but not before giving all three a hug. He looked so intimidating with those eyebrows and his facial expression, but he was so nice. He didn’t even laugh at Junmyeon "drooling", which he hadn’t by the way, like Jongdae and Chanyeol had, refusing to believe his excuses. 

The youngest hadn’t said much, but he seemed like a really nice guy once you got past the stern, intimidating surface. Junmyeon couldn’t wait to work with him.

 

Ever since the incident, "the drooling incident" as Jongdae liked to call it, he couldn’t enjoy a cold glass of water at work without Jongdae reminding him about it. He wasn’t upset or anything, he knew Jongdae was just messing with him and he knew if he told him to stop, he would. It was still annoying though. 

The guy showed up every morning as he usually did, meaning even more letters that Junmyeon still had no idea what were for. Jongdae wasn’t always there, he had classes, but when he was he’d give him looks from wherever he was, and Junmyeon could tell he was teasing him. Even when he was just giving him a raised eyebrow, he knew that it was more than just an eyebrow raised. He could see his lips curling ever so slightly up into a grin. 

An entire week straight, excluding Sunday as the shop was closed, the guy showed up. He was never late that week, showing up as early as a few minutes past seven and as late as fifteen minutes past seven. Never earlier and never later than that. As always he never showed up more than once and he never ordered anything except a Lavender Vanilla Latte. 

 

Junmyeon had forgotten some of the letters from earlier that week, but he could remember an "I", a "T", or maybe two of them now that he thought about it, and a "W". Having forgotten most of the past letters as well, he had no clue what it could be spelling out. By now it was way too many to be a single word. It had to be a sentence.

But what did he need it for? Junmyeon was almost as curious as Jongdae was and it was so tempting to just ask the guy as soon as he entered the coffee shop. He didn’t though. He didn’t want to impose. 

 

Sehun, who had been working there for a week or so now, was slowly getting the hang of how everything worked in the coffee shop. He had some problems with the recipes, and Junmyeon could see why. The guy had never worked in a coffee shop before and their menu wasn’t exactly tiny. But still, other than the baking he was doing a good job. He always showed up on time, he was nice and polite with the customers and he was always happy to help Junmyeon clean without even having been asked to do so.

He got along pretty well with Jongdae and Chanyeol as well, and himself of course. Junmyeon often overheard Jongdae and Sehun chatting about school, or complaining he should say, and Chanyeol took it upon himself to teach the younger how to make a good looking sandwich. 

The four always had something to talk about during their breaks. Sehun had some fun babysitting stories which left the other three almost falling off their chairs with laughter.

The younger was going to fit right in with the other three. 

 

Sunday lasted for what felt like only a few hours and Monday arrived before Junmyeon knew it. He wasn’t complaining though. He liked his job and he could barely wait to get to work. Jongdae had several times asked if he was actually a robot that never got tired, and that for some reason didn’t despise Mondays like everyone else on this planet. 

It was just Junmyeon that Monday, meaning no Jongdae being suspicious that he was a robot. Sehun had school, Jongdae had his classes and Chanyeol was taking a day off, which he did suggest Junmyeon doing as well. Junmyeon wasn’t planning on taking a day off to just sit on the couch and watch TV or something all day when he could work and do what he loved. 

 

Waiting for a customer to finally enter, it was ten past seven already, he grabbed a broom and started sweeping the floor. No matter how much he cleaned it, it got just as dirty right away, but he still had to clean it or else the floor would turn into a beach in no time. 

As he cleaned, he hummed quietly to a song he’d been listening to on his way to work. It was one of those that when you listened to it, it just got stuck in your head and you had to sing it for a few days to get it out. It could be annoying, but luckily this was a song he actually liked so he didn’t mind, until he got tired of it that is. 

A few minutes later and his humming had turned into singing. He, plus his broom and the song, was lost in his own world, forgetting where he was and what he was doing. 

 

"You’ve got a nice voice, Junmyeon."