Chapter 13

One Letter Coffee

Junmyeon dropped his broom in surprise and it fell right to the floor with a loud smack. He had been so far into his own world that he hadn't even heard the door. 

It was him, the guy out of all people. The same one who’d seen him spill water because he hadn’t realised he had been drinking. The same one who’d seen him laying on the ground after he’d fainted because he gave him a one million won pen. He probably thought Junmyeon was a complete klutz, which he wasn’t. He just happened to be really clumsy whenever the guy was there.

 

Speaking of the guy, he was standing by the counter, probably waiting for Junmyeon to actually do his job. After picking up the broom again, and trying to get rid of the obvious blush on his cheeks, Junmyeon went over to the counter. He placed the broom beside him. "I didn’t mean to scare you," the guy said, a small smile on his face.

"It’s fine," Junmyeon assured him. "I was just a little lost in my own world. Sorry you had to wait. I’m sure you’re very busy." The guy pulled out his wallet. "It’s fine. I always have time for my favourite barista." Favourite barista? He was his favourite? A smile slowly made its way onto Junmyeon’s lips. He was the guy’s favourite barista. 

"I’ll take the usual." The guy opened his wallet and pulled out a card. 

 

Junmyeon grabbed a cup and a pen, not the million won pen. He’d sent Sehun to go buy a new pack, a pack of cheap ones. The million won pen was in Junmyeon’s coat pocket. He didn’t want to use it, planning on giving it back to the guy someday.

"Which letter do you want today then?"

"H," the guy replied, watching as Junmyeon wrote down the letter on the cup. "You’ve got a nice voice by the way," he said all of the sudden, and Junmyeon looked up from the cup, placing the pen down on the counter. "Thank you. I mean, I’m not that good really... I was just-."

"I think so."

 

"Thank you." Junmyeon flashed him a smile before turning away to start on the latte. 

 

Junmyeon was in the middle of making the latte when the silence was broken. "Do you like Chinese food?" the guy asked. Junmyeon glanced at him over his shoulder, wondering if he was actually talking to him. "Uh, what?"

"Do you like Chinese food?" he asked once more. Was he going to about the water thing? And here Junmyeon thought the guy was nice. "Yeah?" Junmyeon replied, but it almost ended up sounding like a question. "Cool. Me too." Or maybe he was nice after all. 

 

"Here you go." Junmyeon handed the guy his latte with a smile. "I hope you enjoy it. Have a nice day." The guy smiled back at him, giving Junmyeon a strange feeling in his chest. "You too." With that the guy was gone.

 

Some hours passed and the clock hit three o’clock. Junmyeon was starting to get tired, all the smiling was starting to get a little tiring and he had been running back and forth between taking orders, watching the oven and making sure the tables were clean. He still didn’t want to go home though. Even though he was tired, work was still fun. He just wished one of the other three were with him so he didn’t have to do everything by himself. How had been doing this alone for so long?

Like the gods, or whoever was out there, had heard him, the one and only Kim Jongdae entered, a big smile on his face. What had gotten him so happy? Didn’t he have English with that professor he always complained about? 

"Hey, Jun! How’s it going here?"

"Not bad, but could be better," Junmyeon replied, shrugging. "Why are you so happy? Don’t you have English today?" he asked. "I do actually." The younger walked up to him, resting his elbows on the counter. "I had English around an hour ago or so and I was planning on surprising you by showing up to work. Aren’t you happy to see me?"

 

"I am. I could use some help," Junmyeon admitted. "I almost burned the bread because I had another three things to make." Jongdae just laughed, resting his chin in his palms. "What would you do without me?" he said. "Well... Except burning the bread."

"Yeah, what would I do without you?" Junmyeon disappeared into the back of the coffee shop, returning a few moments later with Jongdae’s apron. "But what’s gotten you so happy?" he asked, handing the younger the apron. "Oh, nothing." Jongdae removed his jacket, replacing it with the apron. "I was just talking to someone."

"Oh really? Who?" Junmyeon asked, wondering who he could’ve talked to that had made him that happy. He’d been smiling ever since he entered the shop. "Just a friend," Jongdae replied, keeping his answers short and not giving Junmyeon a lot of information. Which was fine. He wasn’t going to press the information out of him if he didn’t want to tell him. 

 

"Alright then. Could you take the trash out?"

Jongdae’s smile slowly disappeared and Junmyeon chuckled as he watched the younger disappear into the back.