Chapter 10

One Letter Coffee

The guy didn’t show up the day after. Junmyeon had no idea why, he barely knew the guy after all. Maybe he didn’t have time, or he just didn’t want a latte that day. Who knows?

"What do we do with the pen?" Jongdae asked, sitting down by the table and placing his lunch in front of him. "I mean, it’s worth a lot of money," he continued. "Imagine what we could spend it on. Imagine how much food we could buy at that Chinese restaurant, Junmyeon."

Junmyeon didn’t even get to answer, Jongdae just continued speaking. "Speaking of the Chinese restaurant, let’s go there today after we close," he said, finally stopping so Junmyeon could speak. "Sure, but about the pen... We’ll see. Maybe he wants it back."

 

"I’m starving," Jongdae complained, watching Chanyeol place some lettuce on the sandwiches he was making. He looked up and noticed the older watching. "You’re not getting any if that’s what you think," he said. "These are for paying costumers only and I don’t see any money." He eyed him up and down. 

"I was going to ask you how much time’s left before we’re closing," Jongdae said. "I, unlike you, don’t take food from work." Junmyeon was just looking at the two, in the middle of scrubbing a plate clean. It was amazing to see how quick they’d become friends. They’d known each other for just some weeks. It was fun to just sit and listen to their banter. 

"What do you mean "unlike you"? I don’t take food from work," Chanyeol denied, walking over to the sink beside the one where Junmyeon was currently doing the dishes. "Sure you don’t," Jongdae said, clearly not believing what he was being told. "Where are all the blueberry yoghurt cookies going then?" He raised an eyebrow. "Uh. This is a coffee shop. People buy them," Chanyeol replied.

"Do I look stupid?" Chanyeol opened his mouth to answer. "They disappear as soon as they’re out of the oven. People don’t buy them back here, Chanyeol. You’re stealing them."

 

Junmyeon placed the clean plate down on the counter after drying it with a towel and leaned against the counter, watching the two. "No, I’m not," Chanyeol denied. "Then were are they all going, Chanyeol? Tell me that." Chanyeol looked over at Junmyeon and Jongdae did the same. "I’ve not been taking them," Junmyeon said, shrugging. "Don’t blame Junmyeon. You’re the one taking them." 

"Okay, fine." Chanyeol rolled his eyes. "I might’ve taken a few when no one was looking..." he admitted. "Hey! I spent a lot of time and effort making those for our customers," the student complained. "I didn’t make them just for you to eat them."

Chanyeol looked at the shorter, sticking his bottom lip out, pouting at him. "I just took one, but they were so good so I took a few more." Jongdae raised an eyebrow. "A few?"

"Like... Ten?"

 

"How about I make some for you sometime?" Jongdae suggested. "Then you don’t have to take the ones meant for the customers."

"Okay, thanks."

 

Junmyeon looked at the two and was wondering if he’d just witnessed a date being planned. Or was he meant to come along as well? "Well. Now that that’s sorted. When are we closing? I’m hungry."

 

Th trio was just about to leave when they noticed someone standing outside right in front of the door. Their face wasn’t visible, due to the poster hanging there, so they had no idea who it was. They looked tall though. Was it the guy?

After just looking at each other for a few seconds, Junmyeon decided to go open the door. It wasn’t him, but he did remind Junmyeon a lot about him. Tall and intimidating. He didn’t even look fazed as the door opened, the stern expression on his face not changing for even a millisecond. 

"Can I help you?" Junmyeon finally asked, looking up at the stern looking guy. "We were just about to leave, but if you wanted to order something, you can." The guy shook his head and pointed to the door. "You’re still hiring?"

 

He was still looking at Junmyeon with the same stern expression as he placed the form and a pen, the one he still had from that guy, and sat down on the opposite side of the table. Jongdae and Chanyeol were sitting there as well, not really saying much. 

The guy eyed the pen after picking it up. "Montblanc. Is it real?" he asked, looking up at Junmyeon. "Apparently." He eyed Junmyeon up and down before looking around the shop. "Huh." Junmyeon looked over at the other two and they just shrugged, not saying anything. 

 

Oh Sehun, 18 years old, student, used to work as a babysitter for the neighbors. Junmyeon glanced at him. Didn’t look like someone who’d work as a babysitter, but you know what they say. Never judge a book by its cover. 

"So, Sehun. Do you have any experience when it comes to cooking or baking?" he asked, folding the other’s form in half. "Not much. I mean, I’ve cooked for myself a couple of times," Sehun replied, shrugging. "I can follow recipes." Junmyeon nodded and they continued chatting for a while, Jongdae and Chanyeol eventually joining.

 

"Well. Do I get the job?"

"Yeah. I think so. Congratulations, Sehun." He looked at him and smiled, and in the matter of seconds the younger’s expression changed. He was smiling back at him for the first time since he met him. "Great. When do I start?"