Chapter 20

One Letter Coffee

"Are you crying?"

 

The poor guy looked so worried, his eyebrows furrowed and his lips pursed as he stepped closer. "I’m so sorry for being so late," he apologised. "I was just getting our date ready and I didn’t notice what time it was until it was almost half past eight. I’m so sorry."

"I’m not crying. It’s fine," Junmyeon said and the guy’s expression changed from worry to confusion. "But your eyes." He shoved a hand into his pocket, pulling out a handkerchief. "I get it if you’re upset. I should’ve paid more attention to the time. I just wanted our date to be perfect and none of my friends noticed anything either. I’m so sorry."

 

"It’s just the eyeliner my colleague put on me," Junmyeon explained, taking the handkerchief handed to him. "It’s making my eyes water." Using the handkerchief he gently rubbed his eye, trying to wipe away the eyeliner. 

He failed miserably, as Jongdae had forgotten to tell him it was waterproof and it couldn’t be wiped away just like that, ending up just spreading the makeup around his eyelid and making him look like a raccoon.

 

"Let me do it." Before Junmyeon could protest, the guy grabbed the handkerchief right out of his hand. "You’re just smearing it around." Junmyeon closed his eyes.

A few moments later he heard the car door again and he opened his eyes, a little bit worried the guy was leaving him, to see him holding a pack of wet wipes. He noticed him looking and smiled. "You never know when you need these," he said, but quickly realised what he had said might imply. "Not like that. I mean for the car."

 

Once the eyeliner was wiped away, and he didn’t look like a crying raccoon anymore, the guy lead him over to the car, opening the door for him before walking around to the other side to get in as well. The car was so clean Junmyeon almost didn’t want to touch the door to close it in case he accidenly got eyeliner on it. 

He reached a hand out, after making sure there were no makeup on it, to close the door, but he stopped. The door was closing by itself. Just like magic. It didn’t just slam shut either. It had slowly closed, like those elevator doors except on a car. Junmyeon looked over at the guy sitting in the driver’s seat, not sure if he was seeing things or not. Did that door just close by itself? 

The guy wasn’t looking at him. He was busy shoving the pack of wet wipes back into the glove department and putting on his seatbelt. He was probably used to the door thing and didn’t even think twice about it. 

 

It was silent in the car and Junmyeon took the opportunity to look around and admire the car. Matte, black seats and interior, matching the suit the guy was wearing. There were a couple of screens Junmyeon didn’t really know what were for, along with some buttons controlling the temperature and so on. It looked really fancy. Way fancier than Junmyeon’s old Volkswagen. 

"I like your car," Junmyeon eventually said, breaking the silence. "Thank you." Speaking of silence, the car was awfully silent as if the engine wasn’t even on. Junmyeon was pretty sure it was. They were driving after all. "Do you like cars?"

"Well... I guess," Junmyeon replied. "I don’t really know a lot about cars. Just how to drive one." The guy laughed at that. "No one I know is that interested either really so I barely know anything at all."

 

"But why is this car so silent? Cars aren’t this quiet as far as I know?" Junmyeon asked after a moment of silence. "It’s electric," the guy replied. "And what does that mean?"

"It doesn’t use diesel or anything, it uses electricity." Oh. That was pretty self explanatory actually. "Oh. Right. That makes sense."

 

"When are you planning on telling me your name exactly?" Junmyeon eventually asked. The guy hadn’t mentioned anything about his name since he arrived. He’d been sitting in the same car as the guy he was going on a date with that he didn’t even know the name of. 

"Oh, I’m sorry. I guess I was just a little stressed." The guy sent him an apologetic smile. "I’m Wu Yifan," he said, "and I would shake your hand, but I wouldn’t want to be late and on top of that crash the car on our first date."

Wu Yifan. That wasn’t Japanese. So the guy, that he now knew was called Yifan, was Chinese. 

 

"So, Yifan. Where are we going?" Junmyeon asked, a little worried he was underdressed. Yifan was wearing a suit and here he was in a dress shirt, jeans and Converse. On top of it all, his eyeliner was now gone. 

"Well. You like Chinese, right?" Yifan asked. "Yeah. What about it?" 

"I think you can guess where we’re going."

 

Did he mean the Chinese restaurant? The one where he’d spilled water as Yifan watched as he’d smiled at him?

"If not, I could give you a hint."

"Uh, yeah sure. Go ahead." It had to be that restaurant. Where else?

 

"Water." Junmyeon could see a hint of a grin on the driver’s face and he immediately knew what he was referring to. 

 

"Hey! That was an accident!"