Chapter 16

One Letter Coffee

As expected, the guy showed up the next morning at the coffee shop. He was later than usual, though. Almost half past seven. Junmyeon hadn’t been there when he arrived, and it was Sehun who was behind the counter that morning, while Junmyeon was in the back, taking care of the dishes. 

Sehun, unlike Jongdae, hadn’t forced the poor guy to get a latte, but had just accepted the order of one coffee and a sandwich. But as he had just turned around to get the guy his order, he had stopped him. Sehun turned back around, thinking he changed his mind and wanted something else.

Instead of asking for something else, he asked for someone else. He asked where Junmyeon was. He had seemed impatient, tapping his fingers on the counter with one hand while he looked at his watch on his wrist. That watch looked more expensive than anything Sehun owned. The guy had to be rich.

 

"Hey, Junmyeon. The guy’s here, looking for you," Sehun said, walking into the back of the coffee shop. He leaned against a counter, his arms crossed over his chest. "Really? Did he say why?" Junmyeon placed the cup in his hand down on the counter beside him along with the towel. "No. He just asked if you were here."

"Okay then. Could you continue with the dishes, please?" The younger nodded and Junmyeon walked past him and out into the front to see what the guy wanted.

What happened at the movie theatre flashed before Junmyeon’s eyes as he walked through the door, seeing the guy standing in front of the counter. He was looking at his - clearly expensive - watch, but looked up as he heard Junmyeon enter. "Hello."

 

"Hi. You wanted to see me?" Junmyeon got behind the counter. He struggled to keep eye contact, trying to stop himself from turning the same colour as flowers on the shelf behind him as he thought about the evening before. "I wanted to order your specialty," the guy said. "They’re really good when you make them."

"No offence to the coworker of yours, Chen right?" Junmyeon picked up a cup, nodding. "None taken, on my part at least," he said and laughed. The guy smiled, letting out a chuckle. "Would he be offended?"

"Probably. He can be a little dramatic," Junmyeon replied, picking up a pen. "Just don’t tell him I said that." The guy smiled at him. "I won’t."

"So. Which letter do you want today?" Junmyeon asked, ready to write. "M." He wrote down the letter and turned around to start making the guy the latte. 

 

"Here you go." Junmyeon placed the latte down with a smile. "Thanks." The guy didn’t turn around and leave like he usually would as soon as he got his latte though. Instead it looked like he was eyeing the baked goods, maybe planning on getting something else as well. "Could I get a blueberry yoghurt cookie as well?"

"Yeah, of course." Junmyeon picked the best looking one, putting it in a brown bag with the little cup and cookie on it. The guy paid and Junmyeon handed him his cookie. "Thank you."

"Have a nice day!" Junmyeon said as he watched the guy leave. "You too." The guy flashed him one last smile and then he was gone. 

 

"What did he want, Junmyeon?" Sehun asked, leaning against the doorframe. He had his arms crossed over his chest. "Oh." Junmyeon turned around, not having noticed the younger before he started talking. "He just wanted a Lavender Vanilla Latte and a cookie," he said. 

The younger nodded. "He seems really into that LaVa Latte," he said. "It’s practically all he orders, but he never orders it from anyone else."

"Maybe he thinks I make it better than you three," Junmyeon teasingly said. Sehun just laughed. "What? What’s so funny about that? You don’t think it’s good?" Junmyeon picked up a cup. "I’ll make you one right now and you’ll see why he likes it."

 

A few minutes later Sehun was taking his first ever sip of Junmyeon’s specialty, a Lavender Vanilla Latte. "So?" Junmyeon raised an eyebrow, waiting for a response. "What do you think?" he asked. "Do you see why he only wants them from me now?" Sehun was taking a long sip, his Adam’s apple bobbing up and down as he swallowed. 

Finally he stopped. He nodded. "It’s good," he said. "Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to take the rest."

Junmyeon chuckled. "Yeah. Go ahead."

 

The next morning it was just Junmyeon again. Jongdae and Sehun had school, and Chanyeol was coming to work a few hours later. So it was just him, but he was used to that, having worked alone for quite a while until the day Jongdae showed up, asking for work.

The guy came back, which wasn’t much of a surprise. Junmyeon was starting to wait for the guy by now, and whenever he was late, he couldn’t help but wonder where he was. 

It was only seven when the guy showed up, which was earlier than usual. It was only a few minutes early, but still, he was never that early. 

"Hello! Welcome to See You Latte Coffee Shop," Junmyeon greeted him. The guy smiled at him and once again felt that weird feeling in his chest. He had a nice smile. "Hi. I’ll take the usual." Junmyeon, who’d already picked up a cup and a pen, ready to write down that day’s letter, nodded. "Another letter?" he asked.

"E."

 

Junmyeon looked up from the cup once he’d written the letter down. "Do you mind if I ask what you need these for?" he asked, finally gathering the courage to ask him. Maybe he’d give him an answer now that Jongdae wasn’t there. 

But no. No answer, unfortunately. "You’ll just have to see tomorrow, don’t you, Junmyeon," the guy said, his lips forming a grin. Tomorrow? Was he planning on telling him tomorrow? Why tomorrow?

Why not today?