Chapter 4

One Letter Coffee

The three eventually left the restaurant, deciding to buy some alcohol and hang out at Chanyeol’s apartment for a while. It was only a few minutes walk away. Junmyeon didn’t go home until later that evening, tipsy enough to not even bother checking the time as he got home, going straight to bed. 

He went to work the next day with a light hangover and he agreed with himself that he wasn’t going to do that again on a work night. It was still fun, though. He had to admit that. 

 

Just like the day before, the tall, intimidating guy he now knew was called Kris, arrived a few minutes after he opened. This time Chanyeol wasn’t here though so he was the one taking Kris’ order. "Good morning and welcome to See You Latte Coffee Shop," he greeted him with a smile on his face. "What can I get you?" 

Kris flashed him a small smile. "I’ll take a Lavender Vanilla Latte," he said. "And maybe a drawing this time too?" Junmyeon picked up a plastic cup and a pen. He debated on whether he should write "Kris" or ask for his name. It would be a little weird and creepy if he wrote his name so he decided to ask. "What’s your name?"

 

"D."

 

"Excuse me?" Junmyeon looked up at him, confused to say the least. He had only made a little dot on the cup in his hand. "D?" he asked, just to make sure he had heard correctly. Wasn’t his name Kris? 

Kris, or D or whoever he was, nodded. "Yeah." Junmyeon was still not writing anything. "Is that your name?" he asked before he could stop himself. "I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to ask that," he immediately apologised. 

"It’s fine," the guy said, clearly not bothered. "And no. That’s not my name," he continued. "Then, if you don’t mind me asking, why do you want me to write just a "D" on it?" Junmyeon asked, finally continuing with the cup. "I need it for something." Need it for something? What could he possibly need that for? Junmyeon didn’t ask any questions. "Okay. It’ll be ready in just a few minutes."

 

"Here you go. Have a nice day." Junmyeon placed the drink on the counter, smiling up at the guy. He did look like a model. With that jawline, those lips, that nose, those eyes, that entire face for the matter. He had to be a model. If not, he should’ve been one. "You too." The guy smiled at him once more before turning around, leaving the coffee shop.

 

D? Why would he call himself that? Wasn’t his name Kris? Chanyeol said so after all. There’s no way D turned into Kris. And what would he need a cup with the letter "D" on it anyway? 

 

"Are you sure his name is Kris?" Junmyeon asked. Chanyeol looked up from his phone that was resting on the counter. "Well... No. He said his name was Kris, but I don’t know," he replied, shrugging. "Why?"

"He came by this morning and I asked for his name so I could put it on the cup, and he just said "D"." Chanyeol raised an eyebrow. ""D"? Just the letter "D"?" Junmyeon nodded. "Huh. Weird." He looked back down at his phone and Junmyeon continued sweeping the floor. 

"Maybe he wanted to spell something out. Like di-." Jongdae's words were drowned out by the door opening and the bell ringing as a customer entered. "Jongdae! Don’t say that," Junmyeon scolded, making his way over to the counter. 

 

Junmyeon walked back to the table he had been sitting by before Jongdae was interrupted. "Maybe D is his nickname?" the student suggested. "But he said he needed it for something," the oldest said. "It doesn’t make sense that it’s his nickname if he needed it for something."

"Then, I don’t know."

 

The incident was almost forgotten completely by the next morning and even as the guy arrived, almost half past seven this time, he didn’t think anything of it. He took his order as he was once again the only one at work.

"Welcome to See You Latte Coffee Shop," he said, smiling up at the guy. "What can I get you today?" 

"I’ll take a Lavender Vanilla Latte," the guy replied and Junmyeon was almost flattered. Did he like his latte that much? "Okay." Junmyeon found a cup and picked up his pen. Should he ask? Or just write a "D" today too? But what if he wanted his actual name written now? "O," the guy said before Junmyeon could even open his mouth to ask. "What?" He looked at him, not sure if he had heard correctly. "Oh? As in the last name?"

"The letter "O"." So today was another letter. A different one. But what did he need that for? Was he spelling something out like Jongdae said? "Okay." He chose not to ask what it was for this time. At least he wasn’t spelling out what Jongdae had suggested. 

 

Junmyeon handed the guy his drink and watched as he left. In the door he met Chanyeol, who almost crashed into him. "Oops. Sorry. I didn’t see you there." He stepped to the side, letting the guy out before walking inside. "So. Did he actually give you his name today?" he asked, giving his umbrella a little shake. "No. Just a letter," Junmyeon replied, resting his elbows on the counter. "And please do that outside and not on the floor that I just cleaned."

"What letter was it today?" Chanyeol pulled off his beanie and ran a hand through his hair. "An "O". Do you think he’s spelling something?" The younger disappeared for just a moment, returning with his apron on. "Maybe. I wonder why."

 

Jongdae arrived a few hours later, completely drenched from head to toe. "Jesus. It’s raining cats and dogs today." Chanyeol just laughed at him from behind the counter like the good friend and colleague he was. Junmyeon on the other hand, got the younger a towel and told him to change into some different clothes that he had brought with him just in case he needed them. You never know when you need a set of dry clothes when it's raining this much. "My bag’s just by the coat hangers," he informed the younger. 

 

"I can hear you grinning from back here, Chanyeol!" Chanyeol tried to hide the very obviously amused smile on his face with his hand as Junmyeon looked at him. Of course Junmyeon felt bad for Jongdae, even preparing a cup of hot chocolate for him, but he couldn’t help but laugh along with Chanyeol as he started laughing. 

 

"Don’t you own an umbrella?" Chanyeol asked, watching Jongdae drinking his hot chocolate with Junmyeon’s coat draped over his shoulders. "I’ll have you know that I don’t. I didn’t think I’d need one," Jongdae replied. "I’m never outside and as far as I know, it doesn’t rain inside."

"You should get one. You could catch a cold, Jongdae," Junmyeon said, sitting down beside the student. "I know, mom. You’ve already told me that several times since I got here."

 

There weren’t many customers that day, probably because no one wanted to go outside when it was raining so much. Standing outside in this weather for just some seconds was just asking for a cold. The three sat by a table by the window and ate their lunches this time. The coffee shop was otherwise empty, completely silent other than the sound of rain hitting the window. "I’m glad I’m inside," Chanyeol said. "I’d rather not get pneumonia." He turned to look at Jongdae who had discarded Junmyeon’s coat. 

"Dry yet?"

 

Jongdae huffed. "Like you care. I’ve only got one real friend here," he dramatically said. "One that actually cares for my well-being." Chanyeol brought a hand up to his chest. "That hurts. I thought we were friends."

Junmyeon looked at the two and laughed. 

 

The sound of the door opening almost scared the three half to death and Junmyeon almost choked on his laughter. They hadn’t expected anyone else in this weather. Who in their right mind would be outside now unless they wanted to get soaked?

 

"Hello."