Chapter 23

One Letter Coffee

The two by the table looked at each other, not sure if they’d heard the waiter correctly. On fire? As in, the dessert was burning? 

"On fire?" Yifan eventually said, pushing his chair back so he could get up. Junmyeon quickly did the same, picking up his phone from the table. "How did that happen?"

 

"Yixing went to wash his hands in the bathroom because there wasn’t any soap left so he told Zitao to watch over the dessert and it just started burning," Minseok explained. "But it’s fine now, well not the dessert, but we put out the fire, nothing’s damaged and everyone is fine."

"Well..." Yifan sighed. "Can you make more?" he asked. "Or something else maybe?"

"It’s going to take a while, but I’m sure we’ll manage before it gets too late," Minseok said. "How about you two do something else while you wait? Yixing can probably whip something up in the meantime." Yifan looked over at Junmyeon, raising an eyebrow as he waited for the other’s take on this. 

"Yeah, sure. Let’s go and do something. I guess just waiting here wouldn’t be that fun," Junmyeon said. "Not that sitting here with you wouldn’t be fun. I’m just saying we could probably find something else that’s more fun to do while we wait."

 

A few minutes later the two were standing outside the restaurant, not really sure what to do. There were a few restaurants and cafes around, but they had just eaten and were having dessert in just a little while so that  was out of the question. 

Judging by Yifan’s suit, Yifan’s very expensive suit, he probably wasn’t up for something active. Junmyeon didn’t want his suit to be stained or anything. He’d feel too bad. 

 

"How about we just take a stroll?" Junmyeon suggested. "Look around in shops and so on. There’s a popular shopping area just some minutes away from here with all kinds of shops."

"But we don’t need to buy anything," he quickly added. "We can just look."

"Yeah, sure. That sounds great."

 

The two walked in silence, neither of them sure what to talk about. Junmyeon was lost in his own little world, thinking about the dessert, that had somehow caught on fire, two of his colleagues doing something completely else than what was supposed to be done on the counters in the back of the coffee shop, the fact that Sehun knew Yifan’s assistant and a lot more. 

 

He barely noticed something touching his hand, but as whatever it was continued touching his hand he looked down to see what it was. It was Yifan’s hand, clearly trying to send the shorter hints that he wanted to hold his hand, which Junmyeon responded to by slipping his hand into his, looking away to make sure the taller couldn’t see his face in case it decided now was a good time to turn pink.

 

They walked hand in hand past all kinds of shops, everything from street food to clothing and makeup. They went into a few of them, looking through the isles containing the newest trends in fashion and accessories, still not letting go of the other’s hand. 

"Hey, Junmyeon. Look at these."

Junmyeon looked up from the glasses he had been looking at, that he actually considered getting because they looked really nice. He looked up at the taller to see him wearing some sunglasses, some bright pink, square shaped sunglasses. "Oh, wow. You look so good."

"Do I look cool?" Yifan finally let go of his hand, that had gotten embarrassingly clammy both because of nerves and the other’s body temperature, to go look for a mirror. 

"Wow. This is a look." Yifan laughed as he placed the glasses back where he found them, and Junmyeon smiled. 

 

"Junmyeon, try this." Before he could ask what it was or even look at what it was, it got placed on his head. Yifan adjusted it before pointing to a mirror. "Have a look."

A beret, but not only a beret. It was a leopard printed beret. A pink leopard printed beret.

"I can see you have a sense of fashion," Junmyeon said, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "I know, right? You should get it. It looks good." Junmyeon laughed. "I don’t think so, but I’ll recommend it to Jongdae, he’d probably buy something like this. You can’t spell fashion without Jongdae."

"I think you actually can."

"I know, he’d probably wear this though."

 

The two eventually left that shop and continued walking, Yifan’s hand finding his as soon as he got to walk beside him. "Did you buy your very expensive pen somewhere around here?" Junmyeon asked. "Where do you even buy pens like that?"

"Online, but you could probably buy them in a shop somewhere. I wasn’t really sure what to buy for you without ruining the surprise so I looked through some online shops", Yifan explained. "Luhan suggested I’d get you flowers, but I figured that wouldn’t be very subtle."

"Why not just give me flowers and ask me out?"

"Because, I wanted it to be special and something you’d remember," Yifan replied. "And I was hoping the dedication would increase the chance of you saying yes."

 

A few minutes later the sound of Yifan’s phone stopped them. "Is it the dessert?" Junmyeon asked as he watched the taller pull out his phone. "Yeah. Yixing says it’ll be ready in a few minutes so we should get going."

"Did he say what it was?"

"Yeah, he did, but you’ll just have to wait and see."

 

"Dating you involves a lot of waiting, doesn’t it?"