Chapter 11

One Letter Coffee

Sehun was about to get up and leave, but he stopped as Junmyeon called his name. Was he changing his mind about giving Sehun the job? "Yeah?"

Junmyeon was smiling, which was a good sign. Maybe he wasn’t changing his mind after all? "We were planning on eating at a Chinese restaurant not far from here," the older explained. "Alright?"

"I just wanted to ask if you wanted to come with us. You don’t have to, but I thought it’d be a nice way to get to know each other," Junmyeon continued.

"Yeah, I’ll come along."

 

They walked in silence, excluding to the two bickering in front of him and Junmyeon. Jongdae and Chanyeol, he believed they were named. They seemed nice, a little on the loud side, but not loud as in obnoxious and rude. Junmyeon on the other hand, was a lot more quiet. Not quiet as in he didn’t speak, because he did. He spoke a lot. He was more reserved, wasn’t as loud, didn’t laugh as much as the two others. Out of the three working at the coffee shop, he seemed like he was the "mother hen". 

 

A while later they reached the restaurant. Sehun had never been there before, but he was always up for trying new things, including food from new places. He let the other three enter first before he went inside as well, letting the door close behind him. It smelt good and the smell alone was making him hungry again even though he had just eaten with some of his friends. 

He followed the trio over to a table where they all sat down. "They have really good food here," Chanyeol said, smiling at him. "Yeah. The soup dumplings they make here are so good," Jongdae added, nodding. "It’s almost sinful."

 

"So. What are you planning on studying at university, Sehun?" Junmyeon asked, placing his menu down, probably having already chosen what he wanted to get. Sehun, on the other hand, hadn’t. There was so much to choose from. "I don’t really know," he replied, looking through the drinks they had. "Maybe psychology." Maybe he should get water? "Or geography." No. Who went to a restaurant and got water when they could get a soft drink? "Or maybe music." On the other hand, they had Chinese tea. He’d never tried that before. Was it any good? 

"Jongdae studies music," Junmyeon said and Sehun finally looked up from his menu, deciding on Chinese tea and a Pepsi. He looked at Jongdae who smiled, nodding. "Yeah. It’s really fun," he said. "You sure? You do complain a lot," Chanyeol said and Jongdae glared at him. "No, I don’t."

"Cool. I bet it’s a lot of fun," Sehun said and looked back down at his menu to pick something to eat. 

 

Just half an hour or so later they got their food, Sehun wasn’t really paying attention. He was too busy talking to the other three. They hadn’t known each other for long, barely a few hours, but Sehun already felt like the three were friends he’d know for years.

"So how long have you all worked at the coffee shop?" Sehun asked. "A few months I believe," Jongdae replied. "A few weeks," Chanyeol said, taking a sip from his glass of whatever alcoholic beverage he’d gotten. Sehun nodded. So they’d known each other for a while. It didn’t seem like a problem to become a part of their friendship though. 

"What about you, Junmyeon?"

"I opened the coffee shop a few years ago," he replied. "Two years maybe?" 

"You worked alone that long?" Jongdae asked. "Wasn’t that stressful? And here I was, thinking you were just chilling alone, brewing coffee." Junmyeon chuckled, picking up his glass and bringing it to his lips. He took a sip of his water before speaking. "No. It was pretty stressful. I had to do everything alone. I had no one to bake for me while I stood behind the counter, or the other way around."

"You should really take some days off, Jun," Jongdae said. "The way you’re treating yourself is going to give you grey hair by your birthday." Junmyeon laughed. "I’m doing just fine, Dae."

 

Chanyeol hadn’t really said much. Come to think of it, he hadn’t really been touching his food either. It seemed like he was distracted. Noticing he was looking at something, Sehun turned to look as well. There wasn’t anything special. A couple sitting by a table by the window, chatting, some people reading the menu and some guys in suits sitting by a table in the corner. Maybe he recognised someone?

"Hey, Junmyeon," he finally said and Junmyeon looked up from his food. "Yeah? What is it?"

 

"Isn’t that that guy ordering your latte every morning?" Chanyeol nodded towards the table in the corner and Junmyeon turned to look. 

And there in the corner, among a couple other guys clad in suits, was the guy, also dressed in a suit. The same guy that showed up almost every morning to order a Lavander Vanilla Latte, also known as LaVa, with just one letter on it. One different letter every time. 

The guy didn’t seem to have noticed them though. He was busy talking to the other guys sitting by the table to notice the four staring. 

 

Sehun was confused. Who was "that guy"? Didn’t he have a name? And which one of them was it? Was it the tanner one with eye bags? The one with the eyebrows? It could also be the one with his back facing them, but they couldn’t see his face, so probably not him. 

"Who?" he asked, still just as confused. "Oh, just someone ordering Junmyeon’s specialty every morning with one different letter on it every time," Jongdae replied. "It’s the guy on the right with no suit jacket or a tie."

 

He was still confused after Jongdae had told him everything. Everything from the first time he arrived to the last. Why did he ask for one letter on his cup? And why did he give away expensive pens?

Also, why did he own an expensive pen? Was he that rich? 

 

Just then, as the four stared at the guy sitting in the corner, the guy beside that latte-guy leaned in and said something to him and the latte-guy looked up, right at them. 

All four of them quickly looked away, picking up their chopsticks or their glass. 

 

Junmyeon sipped on his water for a while before he finally looked back over at the guy. Just as he did, the guy looked up as well, almost like he felt him looking, and smiled. 

Junmyeon smiled as well, forgetting he was still drinking water. He could feel some running down his chin and he could hear it dripping right into his food. He quickly put his glass down and picked up a napkin, not daring to look back over at the guy.

Jongdae was the first out of the three others to notice.

 

"Are you drooling?"