Chapter 9

One Letter Coffee

"Hey, Junmyeon!" Jongdae called from the front of the coffee shop. Junmyeon was in the middle of cracking some eggs for a new batch of pancakes. He cracked the egg and added it into the bowl before placing the empty shell down with the rest.

"Yeah?" He leaned against the doorframe. "What is it?" he asked, taking a look around to make sure nothing was on fire or anything. "Do you have a pen?" Jongdae asked, holding up a most likely used one. "We run out of them before we even buy them."

"Isn’t there a pack under the counter?" Junmyeon asked, pointing to the counter. "I bought a pack of six just some days ago." The younger threw the pen into the trash beside him. "Right. That’s empty." Empty? Already? Where were all their pens going? "You’ll be amazed by how much we actually use pens, Junmyeon. Just yesterday I used two."

 

That’s when Junmyeon realised. He reached a hand into the pocket of his apron and pulled out the pen he had gotten the day before from that guy. "Here you go." He held it out for Jongdae to take. "You’re keeping pens from me?" he said, acting offended. He grabbed the pen, taking a look at it. "I’m offended," he dramatically said. 

"I’m sorry." Junmyeon chuckled, turning around to go back to cracking eggs. "Junmyeon." He stopped, turning back around. What now? Was that pen used too? How many pens did they need?

 

"This says Montblanc," Jongdae said. "Yeah. Isn’t that a mountain or something?" Jongdae looked down at the pen, running his thumb over one of the gold coloured rings. "It’s a brand," he said, bringing the pen closer so he could take a closer look at it. "You don’t say," Junmyeon said, a hint of sarcasm evident in his voice. 

"It’s real." Junmyeon looked confused at him. Real? Well he sure hoped it was a real pen. Who gives people fake pens? How do you even make a fake pen? Are there fake pens? "Of course it is. I used it yesterday. It’s as real as pens get," Junmyeon said, looking at the pen with a look of confusion. 

 

"Junmyeon?" Jongdae looked back up at him. 

 

"Yeah?" 

 

"This is real, Junmyeon." Junmyeon was still as confused as ever. "Real? What do you mean real? It’s a pen," he said. "I mean it looks cool and all, but it’s just a regular pen from this Montblanc or whatever."

 

"This is worth over a million won, Junmyeon." Junmyeon almost choked on his own spit. He coughed and hit his chest a few times with the hand that wasn’t gripping the doorframe. "One million won?!"

"One point one million won, nine hundred euro, a thousand dollars."

"It’s a pen," Junmyeon said, pointing to the pen in Jongdae’s hands. "It’s just a pen." Jongdae held up the pen and Junmyeon took a step closer, finally letting go of the doorframe. "It’s a Montblanc fountain pen, Junmyeon." He pointed to the gold coloured tip of it. "This is 18k gold."

 

Junmyeon doesn’t remember anything else after that. He woke up who knows how many hours or minutes later. Staring up at the ceiling, he realised he was on the floor. Sitting beside him was Jongdae, but the pen was nowhere in sight. Had he heard correctly? No, he couldn’t have. There was no way on earth that pen was worth that much money. It was a pen. Who’d pay that much for a pen?

"Junmyeon. Are you okay?" Jongdae said, leaning over to check how he was doing. "Hey, can you hear me?" He placed a hand on Junmyeon’s forehead, pushing his bangs away. "You fainted and hit your head pretty hard," he calmly said. "Jun. Can you hear me?"

Junmyeon finally opened his mouth to reply, but got interrupted by the door. Now was not the time for a customer to enter. He was laying there on the floor with the worst headache ever. Just the bell ringing when the door opened was enough to make it feel like his head was exploding. 

 

He glanced over at the door to see who it was. Out of all the people on the planet it was that guy. That guy that had given him that pen. A pen worth one point one million Korean won. That was more, way more, than Junmyeon’s rent every month. In a pen. 

He propped himself up on his elbows, ignoring Jongdae’s protests, and pointed at him. "That pen you gave me," he started and Jongdae’s head snapped towards the guy now standing beside him. "Is worth one point one million won," he said. He honestly expected him to laugh and tell him it was just some cheap pen he got on some random website or something, he kind of hoped he would too. Instead of laughing, he nodded, and instead of telling him it was from a random website, he just said; "Yeah."

If he owned a pen worth one point one million won, and he could just give it away to random people he didn’t know, he had to be a billionaire or something. Who else would spend that much money on a pen and then give it away?

 

"Are you rich?" Jongdae bluntly asked. "I mean, you gave away a pen worth a million." The guy laughed now. "Maybe I am, maybe I’m not." With that, he turned around and left, not even ordering anything or asking for his pen back. 

 

A while later and Junmyeon was back on his feet, sitting by a table with Jongdae and Chanyeol, who had arrived just after the guy had left. Jongdae told Chanyeol all about the pen and he hadn’t really said much. He had just looked at the pen, looking a little shocked and confused. Junmyeon could see why. It wasn’t everyday you got to hold a million won worth of pens, but as in a million won worth of a singular pen.

"I bet he’s a millionaire or something," Jongdae said, typing something on his phone. "Or even a billionaire. What if he’s a trillionaire? Is that a thing?" Chanyeol was still looking at the pen on the table in front of them. "I think we’d know if he was," he said, reaching a hand out to pick up the pen. "But I guess he could still be a millionaire."

"Yeah, either that or a criminal." Junmyeon looked at Jongdae with an eyebrow raised. "A criminal?" Jongdae placed his phone down and looked up at him. "He doesn’t tell us his name and he gives away really expensive pens. If he stole it, he wouldn’t mind giving it away, would he?" Junmyeon started wondering if Jongdae was actually serious about it. Did he really think that guy was a criminal? He could just’ve been rich. "You really think so?" Jongdae shrugged.

"You never know." 

 

The guy came back a while later, which was weird since he usually came once in the morning. Junmyeon was alone, in the front of the shop that is. Jongdae and Chanyeol were busy making whatever they needed more of in the back. "Hello," he said with a smile. He glanced down at the pen, the one he got from the man now standing on the other side of the counter. "Welcome to See You Latte Coffee Shop. What can I get you?"

"I’ll take your specialty, Junmyeon," the guy replied and Junmyeon found a cup. He looked back down at the pen. He had to use that one. Just writing one letter would several thousand won in ink probably. After staring at it for a moment, he picked it up. "What do you want me to write today then?"

 

"O."

 

"Alright." He looked at the pen for another moment. He was holding one million won in his hand right now. He was holding his rent in one hand, between some fingers. That pen was worth his-. Junmyeon snapped back into reality, a hand waving in front of his face. He looked up to see what he wanted. "What?"

"You zoned out," the guy said and Junmyeon quickly apologised, using the pen, the very expensive pen, to scribble down an "O" on the cup. "Sorry, it’s just..." He debated on whether asking about the pen or not. He decided against it. "Nothing. I just do that sometimes."

 

Junmyeon eyed the taller up and down as he made him his latte. He wasn’t wearing a coat, just a white button up and some black dress pants. The button up was still as perfectly ironed as the last one, or maybe it was the same one for all he knew. He didn’t look like a billionaire. 

How did billionaires dress though? Did they wear all designer? The guy’s shirt was nice, but it didn’t look like it was designer. What if he was a criminal? Business men that young didn’t earn so much money that they could just spend a million on a pen, right? Even if he did earn that much as a business man, which he could be judging by his outfit, why would he just give it away like it was nothing because Junmyeon needed a pen?

It did make sense that he could be a criminal though. He never gave away his name, he never told him anything about himself, not that he had to though, and earlier that day when Jongdae asked if he was rich he just smiled and replied with; "Maybe I am, maybe I’m not". Why not just say yes or no? 

 

"Junmyeon." His gaze traveled up the taller’s body, up to his face. "Yes? Is there something wrong? Do you want something else?" The guy just pointed and Junmyeon just looked at him for a moment before he felt it. His hands were wet. He looked back down at what he was doing and noticed it was overflowing. He quickly stopped, placing the cup down. "I didn’t even notice. I’m sorry. I’ll make a new one." 

After pouring everything back out and starting over, all while the guy watched him, he placed the finished latte on the counter. At least he didn’t laugh at him. "Sorry it took so long," he apologised. "It’s fine. It could’ve been worse," the guy said, flashing him a smile as he left. 

It could’ve been worse? Maybe if he was indeed a criminal, he meant something like-. Junmyeon took a deep breath, trying to calm down. The poor guy wasn’t a criminal. He was probably just some guy with a good job that came to get a latte every morning. Just because he didn’t want to tell him his name didn’t mean he was a criminal.

Not even Jongdae thought he was actually a criminal.