Chapter 2

One Letter Coffee

No one asked for work for a long time. Well, not that long, maybe a few weeks or so. The poster was still there, just a little bit more wet than last time he checked. It was still understandable, though, so Junmyeon left it like it was. 

 

He was just about to unlock the door one morning when someone tapped him on the shoulder. He turned his head, glancing over his shoulder as he pulled his keys back, shoving them into his coat pocket. A guy was standing there, right in front of him. He must’ve been around his age, or maybe younger. He was really tall and Junmyeon had to tilt his head back ever so slightly to get a good look at his face. 

"Hi. I’m Chanyeol," the tall guy said, a big, kind smile on his face. "I saw you were hiring. Do you still need people?" he went on to ask, pointing to the slightly wet paper still hanging behind Junmyeon. 

"Yes, I do actually. Do you want to come in?" he asked, turning around to open the door. Chanyeol followed him inside and Junmyeon quickly switched the lights on and went to get him a form to fill out.

 

Chanyeol was leaning against the counter when he came back a moment later. He took the pen and paper handed to him and went over to the closest table, sitting down. Junmyeon took the opportunity to go take off his coat and get his apron while Chanyeol was filling out the form. He glanced at his watch before sitting down by the table. He was supposed to have opened the shop almost ten minutes ago. 

 

"Here you go," Chanyeol said, handing him the paper and the pen. "Thanks." Junmyeon looked through everything he had written. "Are you the owner?" He looked up from the filled out form.

"Yeah. I am, but I’m not the only one here," he replied. "There’s another employee. He’ll be here soon actually and you’re welcome to stay and meet him if you want?"

"So I got the job?" 

"I don’t see why you shouldn’t get the job, you’re apparantly a very good chef and you’ve worked in a restaurant before for a while, so why not?" Junmyeon flashed him a smile before getting up. 

Realising he once again had forgotten to introduce himself, having let his excitement of getting a new employee and some more help get to him, he sat back down and held out his hand. "I’m Kim Junmyeon."

 

And Chanyeol was indeed a good chef, and a baker for that matter. The sandwiches he made looked really good and Junmyeon was really close to taking one, but obviously he didn’t. They were for the paying customers. The younger must’ve noticed him eyeing the sandwiches on the tray beside the tomatoes he was currently cutting up, because he was looking at him with an eyebrow raised.

"You hungry?"

Junmyeon shook his head, looking back down at the dough in front of him. "No. The sandwiches just look really good. They look fancy," he replied, grabbing the rolling pin. "How long did you say you worked at that restaurant?"

"A year or so." Chanyeol grabbed the now full tray of sandwiches, carrying it out to the front of the coffee shop before returning a mere moment later. "It was a pretty fancy place so everything had to look perfect and expensive. I made a lot of sandwiches there so I guess making fancy sandwiches became a habit."

"They do look a lot better than they did when I made them, that’s for sure."

 

Junmyeon liked Chanyeol. He was not only a good chef and baker, but he was also funny and really nice to talk to. He always looked forward to see Chanyeol, and Jongdae of course. Jongdae and Chanyeol got along pretty well too which was a bonus. They had similar personalities and were almost the same age, and had become fast friends. 

In the beginning he had wanted employees, nothing more and nothing less, not really caring if they were his best friends as long as he could work with them and they were good at their job, but he ended up getting some friends too. Not necessarily friends he hung out with at his apartment or went out with every weekend, but he still counted them as his friends. They saw each other everyday at work, they sat and talked about everything that came to mind whenever they got to take a break. They even had a group chat going.

 

Thursdays were always the least busy day. Junmyeon didn’t know why that was the case. There just weren’t that many customers that day at certain times, excluding the morning. Probably because everyone was working and had already gotten their morning coffee. Other than that, Junmyeon had no clue why it always got so peaceful that day. Not that he complained. The three of them finally got to sit down and take a break for once, a proper one at that. The food was ready by the counter, all the tables were clean and the fridge was full. There wasn’t much else to do than sit and wait for the bell. 

 

The three took the opportunity to have their lunch break. They didn’t really have a certain time they ate lunch. They just grabbed a bite whenever they could really. 

The coffee shop was nearly empty. A couple of people were scattered about, enjoying some coffee or one of Chanyeol’s sandwiches with their laptops in front of them, but other than that it was just the three of them. It was nice. 
 

"And our English professor has no idea what he’s doing most of the time. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t even speak any English," Jongdae said, mouth full of food. "He just reads straight from the book. He hasn’t taught us anything." 

"Why do you even take English?" Chanyeol asked, taking a sip from his glass of water. "Aren’t you a music major? Do you need to take English?"

Jongdae swallowed before speaking. "I want to learn English. I want to understand what all my favourite songs are about," he said, "and if I learn English, it’ll be easier to sing English songs, but how am I supposed to learn when our professor doesn’t even know anything?" 
 

Junmyeon had just finished his lunch when he heard the bell, signalising that someone was entering the coffee shop. He was the first one of the three to get up, walking over to the counter, ready to take the person’s order. The other two quickly finished their own lunches and started tidying the table. 

"Hello. Welcome to See You Latte Coffee Shop, what can I get you?" Junmyeon asked with a polite smile, looking up at the guy in front of him. He must’ve been even taller than Chanyeol, and Chanyeol wasn't exactly short. He looked older than Chanyeol though, by at least a few years. He looked very intimidating, unlike Chanyeol who looked like the nicest person ever with his big ears and goofy smile. Not only was the guy tall and intimidating, though, but he almost looked angry with those eyebrows. Hopefully he wasn’t one of those cranky customers that were never satisfied with what they ordered or the service, and complained to him about it. 

The tall, intimidating guy took a look at the menu on the wall behind Junmyeon, who took a tiny step to the side in case he was standing in the way of something. The guy looked back over at him. "I don’t know." I don’t know? Junmyeon opened his mouth to ask. "What do you recommend?" the guy asked. 

Junmyeon glanced at the menu. "Well.. It depends on what you want," he started. "Like... Do you want something to eat or drink?" he asked. "I want whatever you recommend. What do you like..." The guy glanced down at the name sewn onto the pocket of Junmyeon’s apron. "Suho?" Junmyeon looked at him with an eyebrow raised. 

"Uh... Well... I guess..." He took another look at the menu, not sure what to pick. What if he picked something the guy didn’t like? "My coworker makes really nice sandwiches," he said, pointing to the tray with said sandwiches. "And my other coworker makes good hot chocolate, but we also have a lot of good lattes and coffees." 

The guy nodded. "What about you?" he asked, earning a confused look from Junmyeon. "Me? What about me?" The guy waved a hand in the direction of the menu. "What do you make that’s really good?" 

 

Junmyeon opened his mouth to speak, but Jongdae beat him to it, appearing beside him out of nowhere. "He’s insanely good at making Lavender Vanilla Latte actually," he said, pointing to a smaller menu sitting on the counter. "Which is one of our specials by the way," he added. "We call it LaVa. Suho here can even draw you a lavender or something on your cup if you want." 

"Jongdae... Let him pick what to get himself." Jongdae completely ignored him, already in the process of finding Junmyeon a cup and a pen. "I’ll take a Lavender-, LaVa, then," the tall guy on the other side of the counter said, watching Jongdae shove a plastic cup with a pen in it into Junmyeon’s hands. 

"Are you sure? You can get something else. Something you want," Junmyeon said, taking the pen out of the cup. "I’m sure. I’m interested in tasting this LaVa," the guy replied, sounding very much like that's what he had now decided on. 

"Okay." Junmyeon nodded. "Anything else?" he asked. "No, thank you." Junmyeon nodded once more, turning around. "Wait." He was about to go make this guy his latte, but stopped, turning back around. "Yes?"

 

"I’d also like a drawing like that guy told me about. Of a lavender." Junmyeon glanced over at Jongdae who was in the middle of cleaning a table on the other side of the coffee shop. He must’ve heard what the guy said because he looked back at Junmyeon, nodding while giving him a thumbs up. 

 

"Yeah. Sure."