Chapter 6

One Letter Coffee

The guy showed up everyday for the rest of the week, except on Sunday when they were closed. Everyday he asked for a different letter written on his cup of Lavender Vanilla Latte, or LaVa as they called it. Junmyeon couldn’t remember all the letters as the morning was sometimes the busiest part of the day. Everyone was there to get their morning coffee or a light breakfast before leaving for work or school.

By every letter he wrote down, he was becoming more and more curious of what he needed them for. It just made no sense. Why would he need cups with letters on them?

 

Five minutes past seven the next Monday, the guy was back. Once again he ordered a Lavender Vanilla Latte, Junmyeon’s specialty. Once again he just asked for a letter. This time a "W". And just like the other times, he didn’t ask what he needed it for. He just handed him his latte, smiled at him and watched as he left. 

"Another letter?" Jongdae asked, entering the front of the coffee shop with a tray full of chocolate muffins with raspberry. "Yeah." Junmyeon nodded. "I’m starting to get really curious. I wonder what he needs them for," the student said, placing the tray where it belonged. "If you’re not going to ask, I am."

"You sure? Isn’t it a little rude to ask something like that? We don’t even know him," Junmyeon said and Jongdae shrugged his shoulders. "They’re just some plastic cups. I’m not asking for his bank account password or anything."

 

Jongdae was the one behind the counter the next day. He had a week off from his studies and decided to come to work early that day, probably to ask the guy about the cups. Junmyeon could see that the younger was clearly on the lookout for the guy, barely taking his eyes off the door. 

Finally, fifteen minutes past seven, he arrived and Jongdae, who had been rearranging the samples on the counter, immediately stopped what he was doing and greeted him. "Hi!" he exclaimed. "Welcome to See You Latte Coffee Shop! What can I get you?"

"A sandwich with chicken and a plain coffee," the guy replied and Junmyeon could see the raise of Jongdae’s eyebrow from where he was sweeping the floor. "Really? No latte?" he said, a bit surprised. "No, not today."

"Really? He’s right there." Jongdae pointed to Junmyeon, who looked back down at the floor like he hadn’t been listening in. "He could make you a latte right now if you want," he said. "With a letter too." Junmyeon glanced at the guy and noticed the guy was looking at him now. "Sure."

"Okay!" Jongdae strolled right over to Junmyeon, grabbed his mop right out of his hands and gave him a little push in the direction of the counter. "If you don’t ask him, I’m asking." 

 

"Here you go," Junmyeon said, handing him his latte, that Jongdae had practically forced him into ordering. "A," the guy said, pointing to the cup. "What?" Junmyeon asked a little confused. And then he realised. "Oh, right." He grabbed his pen and scribbled down an A on the cup before handing it to him. "Tha-."

 

"What’s it for?" Jongdae asked before the guy could thank him. He grabbed his latte, but didn’t turn to leave. "What’s what for?" he asked. "The cups," Jongdae replied, placing the mop against a table and walking over. "What’s with the letters? What are they for?" Junmyeon opened his mouth to tell him to stop and leave the poor guy getting his latte alone, but the guy beat him to it. 

 

"You’ll just have to wait and see." He smiled at the two before turning around and leaving.

 

"I’m dying to know what he needs them for," Jongdae complained, sighing dramatically. "I want to know what he’s spelling out and what they’re for." Junmyeon walked past him over to a table, picking up his mop again. "It’s probably nothing." Jongdae just sighed once more and went back to work.

 

Another three days passed by and the guy was there every single morning at around ten to fifteen minutes past seven. Everytime he got a Lavander Vanilla Latte and every tine he asked for a new letter. By now, if Junmyeon had counted correctly, the guy had been there ten times over the past few weeks. How many more did the guy need? Was he going to just give him his actual name for once? 

 

"So ten times you say." Jongdae scribbled something down on some paper. "So it can’t be a word," he said and Junmyeon raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, it can," he protested. "There are words with this many letters," he said. Jongdae counted whatever he had written down in his notebook - presumably used for school. "It makes more sense that it’s a sentence," Jongdae said and held up his notebook. An "A", a "W", an "O" and a "D", plus some x’s. Six x’s and four letters. "What word has ten letters and contain these letters, Junmyeon? It’s obviously supposed to be a sentence."

"Washington?"

"There’s no "D" in Washington", Jongdae said. "There’s not?" Jongdae shook his head, looking down at his notebook. "It’s a "T", not a "D"."

 

"It seems like we just have to wait and see, just like he said."

 

"But I want to know now," Jongdae complained. "This is so exciting. It’s the only fun thing that’s happened here except for that time Chanyeol ripped the bag of flour open and it went everywhere."

"Yeah. It was fun, until we had to clean it up."