Chapter 14

One Letter Coffee

The rest of the day, Jongdae seemed to never stop smiling. Even when he took the trash out, Junmyeon noticed his lips curled up into a small smile. What had gotten him so happy? Who was this friend he’d been talking to?

"Are you going to tell me who this friend is?" Junmyeon asked, leaning against the counter beside Jongdae who was currently stacking some blueberry yoghurt cookies on a tray. He noticed him pushing a few to the side though, even though the tray wasn’t full. 

"Nope." Junmyeon looked at him with an eyebrow raised. "Are you stealing cookies?" he teasingly asked and the younger quickly shook his head. "No no no. I just need them for something." He didn’t seem to have noticed that it was just a joke. "Okay then. I was just messing with you. Go ahead and take those cookies, you made them after all."

 

"Jongdae. It’s half past five," Junmyeon told him. "I’m closing now so you better hurry before I lock you in." There was still a smile on his face as he removed his apron, grabbing his jacket. He grabbed his brown bag with the coffee shop’s logo on it, filled with the blueberry yoghurt cookies he needed for something, and went right out the door before Junmyeon could pull out his keys or say goodbye.

"Bye, Jun! I’ll see you tomorrow!" 

 

The clock hit six and Junmyeon was sat in his apartment, finishing his dinner. Other than taking a look at some bills, he had nothing to do and it was tempting to pick up his phone and ask his three coworkers if they wanted to hang out. It wasn’t that late after all. They had at least a few hours to maybe go get something to eat or watch a movie.

Jongdae couldn’t, which wasn’t much of a surprise considering he looked like he was in a hurry. He told him he was busy, which also wasn’t a surprise. Chanyeol couldn’t either. He was apparently hanging out with some friends or something and had planned to stay overnight.

Junmyeon’s last resort was Sehun, the youngest out of the four. It took him a while to answer, twelve minutes to be exact, but eventually he got a reply. The younger had agreed and Junmyeon was happy someone had finally said yes. If not, he probably be stuck to the couch for the rest of the night before going to sleep. It was nice to go out once in a while, other than going to work.

 

The two agreed to meet up at a movie theatre to watch a new movie that had just come out. Junmyeon didn’t know which one it was, but according to the younger it was a scary one. He didn’t really watch scary movies, but Sehun apparently did so he agreed. It couldn’t be that scary. It was a movie after all. A movie with actors who were just pretending. 

Junmyeon has never been to that specific movie theatre before and did therefore have no clue where it was or where anything in it was. A few minutes later than they’d originally planned, Junmyeon arrived and the younger lead the way to where they would get their tickets. As they walked, Sehun told him more about the movie. It was apparently really good and he’d been waiting for ages to see it. 

Junmyeon on the other hand had never heard about it. He wasn’t really interested in scary movies, never having seen one before. It couldn’t be that bad though. 

 

"So," Sehun said and grabbed the two tickets. "Where’s Jongdae and Chanyeol? Were they busy?" he asked, handing one of the tickets to Junmyeon. "Yeah. Jongdae said he was busy, which wasn’t a surprise since he ran off as soon as I told him I was closing the shop," Junmyeon explained, "and Chanyeol said he was hanging out with friends."

"Oh. So I was your last resort?" Sehun was clearly just joking, but Junmyeon quickly shook his head, not wanting the other to think that. "I was planning on asking all three of you, but they didn’t have time so I thought I’d ask you anyway and see if you wanted to hang out."

He got a pat on the back and a smile in return. "I’m just kidding. You’re way too nice to do anything like that."

 

The hand on his back stayed there until they got into the movie theatre. As they were early, not many people were there yet so they didn’t have to awkwardly step past people already sitting in their seat, trying not to knock into someone.

Barely a minute after they had found their seats and sat down, Sehun was back on his feet. "I’ll go buy us something. I’ll be back in a second."

 

A few minutes passed and the lights went off, the screen lighting up. Sehun wasn’t back yet, but the movie wasn’t starting yet so he still had time. Looking around, Junmyeon noticed that the movie theatre was a lot more full than last time he checked. There was still no sign of Sehun yet though. 

Another few minutes passed and Sehun was still not back. Had he left? He wouldn’t, right? Junmyeon got the urge to pull out his phone to check, but it would light up in the dark like a thousand suns so he’d rather not. 

"Hey. I’m back," Sehun said, sitting down in his seat. Junmyeon jumped in his seat, not noticing him until he spoke. "That scared you?" the younger teased. "Then just wait until you see the movie."

 

By the first half of the movie, Junmyeon was regretting letting the younger pick this one. It was a waste of money on Junmyeon’s part who didn’t even look at the screen half the time. He didn’t want to get scared and make some weird noises right in front of Sehun. He’d already done enough embarrassing things, thank you. He’d rather not make some more. 

 

"Hey, you’re not even looking." Junmyeon felt a finger poke at his left shoulder. "You’re missing out." He looked back up at the screen. "I was just thinking," he explained. "I’m looking." And just a moment later he was gripping Sehun’s hand that was resting on the armrest between them. 

 

Or.

At least he thought it was him.