Freshman Orientation (Part 2)

Melt The Ice Prince Away

We went outside to the lobby to get some snacks and drinks.

 

"Hey, Dongmin."

 

As usual, no response from him.

 

"I'll do what you asked me. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

"I'm actually not worried."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"I know you wouldn't dare tell anyone that you spent your time with another man in another country when you have a boyfriend left in Korea."

 

That teasing smirk again. I never thought I would be seeing that smirk again. And what? I couldn't believe of what I just heard. Out of frustration, I rushed inside and passed by Dongmin. I sat and took one can of beer from Dongmin before he could sit down.

 

"Hold your horses there. Rin, we haven't started yet and you're now drinking."

"What happened Rin? Your face is so red."

"Nothing, I just saw some jerk outside."

"It seems like Rin is popular. I thought your first love is Seokwoo."

"Huh? Sunbae, it's not like that."

"So, is it okay to tell us what happened between you and Seokwoo? I haven't seen him since two weeks ago."

"Huh? What do you mean, sunbae? I thought he was busy with the student committee these past few days. I was about to ask you why is he not here."

"No, he never helped us plan this orientation. He actually quit from being a committee."

"Is that so? Sunbae, can we change the topic? I'm actually not feeling comfortable."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Ok, let's talk about your summer. What did you do before school starts? Suyeon first."

"Me? Well, I went out with my high school friends then we have a chicken shop so I helped out my parents with the business."

"Wow~ you should treat us for some chicken."

"Yes sunbae, I will!"

"Great! What about you Rin?"

"Me? Ah, I went to Singapore for some vacation."

"Really? Who did you went with Rin?"

"Huh? Ahm...I actually went alone. That's what I asked my mom if ever I got accepted to college."

"Then you must be really rich?"

"Huh? No sunbae! I actually had to do a part time job so I can save some money for my Singapore trip. My mom only bought my plane ticket but accommodation and allowance is all my expense."

"Ah~ that's why Seokwoo asked me if I know some opening. Ok, next, Eunwoo, what did you do during your summer?"

"I also went to Singapore."

 

Huh? Why did he told everyone about that? I thought he wanted to forget everything.

 

"What a coincidence! Did you perhaps saw Rin there? Ey! Don't tell me something's going on between you two?"

"HUH?! No sunbae, you see, ahmm..."

"Singapore is not as small as you think. It is also a big country."

"Well, Eunwoo had a point there. I thought there's already a campus couple here."

 

"OK! Everyone! The games will start!"

 

---

 

As of now, our group is winning. We still have one more game before the orientation ends.

 

"Ok, our last game would be a group battle. There will be three categories, a duet song, instrumental and dancing competition. Only the top two teams will compete which is... GROUP 8 and GROUP 10. We will give you 15 minutes to prepare."

 

"Ok, so who wants to do the duet, instruments and dancing?"

"Sunbae, I want to sing."

"So, who will sing with Suyeon?"

"I'll do it, sunbae."

"Ok, Suyeon and Seokmin will do the duet. What about the instrument? Hmmm, hey Dongmin, you said earlier that you can play the piano. What about you do it?"

"Ok."

"Then, will leave the dancing to Rin."

"Huh? Sunbae... but..."

"No buts Rin and I heard from Seokwoo that you also like dancing."

"Ok, sunbae."

 

---

 

I went outside to get some fresh air and to think of what I should dance to.

 

/katalk/

 

"Hey Rin, I heard that you'll be dancing."

"Min! Where did you heard that?"

"That's not important. So, what will you do?"

"I don't know. I'm not quite sure."

"Hey, what if, you dance to Astro's Baby? That's the recent song you practiced isn't it?"

"Yeah, but I'm not confident."

"Hey, why are you so shy all of a sudden? That's not the Rin I know. Do you want me to go there to cheer you up?"

"No, it's okay. They might look for you there. Ok, I'll do my best. Thanks!"

 

I was about to go inside when Dongmin came out.

 

"What?"

"Sunbae is looking for you. He wants to know what song will you dance to."

"Ah~ well, I'm going to dance to Astro's Baby."

"Astro's Baby?"

"Why? Do you know that song?"

"I... I'm not quite sure."

"It was composed by Cha Eunwoo. Maybe you never heard of him but I really like the songs he composed. I don't know but it helps me a lot in different situations. I'm a big fan of his works."

"Enough chat, they are looking for us now."

"Ah, ok."

 

---

 

First up was the duet competition. Unfortunately, group 10 won. Then the instruments. Thanks to Eunwoo's popularity, we won. Now, the pressure I had was as big as the moon, I can't believe I need to win for our group to win.

 

"Hey, Rin, no pressure, it's okay if we don't win."

"No sunbae, I will do my best."

"Ok, fighting!"

 

Group 10 danced to Block B's Her. I think I might win this. I just hoped and will leave my fate to my skills. As soon as the song started, girls were screaming and was stunned with my song choice. This was a popular song of ASTRO that's why I also chose this. Everyone stood up and some were dancing along. I also saw my groupmate helping me to liven up the audience. When my performance was done, I heard cheers and clap from everywhere. What a relieve! I did my best and didn't regret anything. Win or not, it's okay as long as I'm satisfied with my performance.

 

"Hey Rin! You were great! I didn't know you were a great dancer!"

"Thank you sunbae!"

"You were fantastic. It was amazing."

"Thank you, Suyeon!"

 

"Ok! Ok! Everyone calm down! I will now announce the final winner. The grand prize winner of a free dinner party is... Group... GROUP 8!"

 

"Rin! You won! We won!"

"Is this for real sunbae? Did I hear it right?"

"Yes! Thank you Rin! Let's go now and get on stage."

 

I can't believe that my skills won. It didn't betrayed me. It was a memorable freshman orientation. Can't wait for the class to start on monday.