chapter 22

The Park Residence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun woke up with the sunlight beaming through her curtains, she noticed the window was opened, letting a chilly breeze into the room. Her eyes fluttered again as she felt the empty weight on the bed that was beside her. 

 

She’s not here… 

 

Disappointment filled her until she turned her body to face the other way and saw a perfectly folded note on the nightstand. “I had to leave for a project at work, let’s talk later.” Dahyun noticed the letter, indicating the first letter of Chaeyoung’s name that was in capitals in the right bottom corner. She felt a small smile creeping on her face as she looked back at the bed where the blanket was all rustled up and the obvious indicator that there were two people doing something they shouldn’t have done under the roof of Park Jinyoung. Her cheeks tinted red as she made a mental note to change the bed sheets later on. 

 

Dahyun was happy. For such a long time, she’s never felt like this before. Her stomach fluttered at the thought of her and Chaeyoung finally being okay as she placed her hand over her stomach in hopes that it would help calm her down. She received weird looks from Momo who tiredly passed by on the second floor, scratching her messed-up hair from the result of her deep sleep and just carried onto the washroom where she had to pee really badly. Tzuyu was the next to recognize that the girl was in a better mood when she took a seat in her usual spot at the dinner table. She thought Dahyun looked better than the last time she saw her, but at the same time, the last time she saw her Tzuyu’s palm made contact with the latter’s face. 

 

One of her eyebrows crept up when she continued to stare down Dahyun who was fidgeting excitedly in her seat and munching onto her breakfast. The tension in the room was at ease, the only problem was that the respective couples talked among each other and Dahyun was the only one talking to ahjussi, possibly discussing last night’s basketball game that he watched with a friend at their house. Mina is known to be quiet at most times and is known as an observer, she can depict every single thing that happens— In fact, it wasn’t that hard. If people actually took the time to stop what they’re doing and take the time to look around, the human species might have a longer attention span than goldfish. 

 

Momo notices her girlfriend scanning everyone as if she was a robot on a mission and she decided to nudge her with her pointy elbow. “Is something wrong?” The twinkling eyes shined through Mina’s heart and Mina shook her head, indicating to her girlfriend that everything was fine. Momo obviously didn’t believe her but she felt that it was best to not cause an argument in the early morning. She knew how much ahjussi hated that nowadays. So instead, Momo started talking about the daycare and how today was a very special day for the kids. 

 

Sana who overhears the conversation decides to jump in out of curiosity and left Tzuyu to eat her breakfast in silence. “What are you doing today?” The respective Japanese women stared at Momo who had half full of rice and quickly swallowed to respond to them. 

 

“The kids are holding a charity sale, we’re going to be selling the toys that they don’t play with anymore.” Momo takes another spoonful of rice (which was fed by Mina) and takes a quick gulp of water. She slams the cup on the table, earning everyone’s attention at the table. “You should all stop by to buy something, it would really put a smile on their faces.” She flashed a cheeky grin before getting up to leave without saying anything else. 

 

“Just like that, she’s gone.” Mina grumbled under her breath, looking down at her knees in annoyance that her girlfriend didn’t even bother to kiss her goodbye. What even annoyed her more is that she could hear Tzuyu snorting at her— along with Sana scolding the Taiwanese for her behaviour. Not being fazed by the confusing exit, Jeongyeon and Nayeon continue to argue if whether aliens are real or not and JYP leans towards everyone with a confused expression on his face. 

 

“What should I be buying exactly…?” His eyebrow quirked at Dahyun and the girl shrugged her shoulders, not having a clue on what the daycare worker was talking about. JYP sighed and rubbed his forehead. “I hope she wasn’t talking about buying more food.” He raises his eyebrows and goes back to eating his breakfast. Dahyun places her spoon down and scratches the back of her neck before saying. 

 

“I think I’m going to head out now.” She quickly interjected and got up from her seat as fast as a lightning bolt, making everyone (but the arguing alien duo) even more confused than before. The truth is Dahyun wanted to “coincidentally” bump into Chaeyoung on campus because she needed to talk to her badly. Mina stares at the now empty seat and then glances at the seat that is supposed to have Chaeyoung seated in, and wondered the craziest thing that could pop into her head. But it couldn’t be… Right? 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Momo walked to the daycare in an upbeat mood. Usually, Momo would care about the weird looks she was given by the strangers on the street but today was the day to sell some used toys! She’s always had a soft side for kids and she knew this was a great lesson for them as it teaches them the importance of sharing. 

 

She walks into the building with a bright smile, expecting for many people to be waiting in line to buy toys but then the smile drops when she only sees Jiwon awkwardly standing behind the cashier along with two others kids who offered to help. 

 

“Uh… Hey Momo!” Jiwon waves at her co-worker and the mentioned girl slowly waves back as she is bombarded with hugs by the two little kids. 

 

“Unnie!” The cute little voices explode in her ear and Momo has no choice but to smother the two with kisses. 

 

“Hello, Yeji and Yuna.” She speaks in a calm voice but eternally, she was freaking out at the empty place. Jiwon comes over to grab Yeji and tells her to stop hurting the “old unnie”. Momo glares at her friend for using that label and gets up with Yuna in her arms. The little girl tightly wraps her arms around Momo’s neck and Jiwon can look at the latter’s face that filled with concern. 

 

“Don’t worry, we only opened thirty minutes ago. I’m sure we’ll have customers filling the store by twelve.” 

 

“I hope you’re right, Jiwon.” They gave each other hopeful looks and then directed their attention towards the two girls in front of them. “Has Jiwon-unnie taught you how to work the cash register?” Momo’s childlike instincts turn on and Yuna stops burying her face in the older girl’s neck to speak to her. 

 

“Yeah! But Jiwon-unnie got angry at the machine.” Yuna thinks back to when the older girl was demonstrating and ended up getting into some technical difficulties with the register but Yeji was able to figure out what was wrong in ten-seconds. The daycare worker nervously laughs along and pretended that she loved Yuna (which she secretly does but the girl was the devil herself). 

 

Momo lets out a genuine laugh as she throws her head back. “I think Jiwon-unnie has some anger issues.” The Japanese girl lets out a cheeky smile before walking towards the area of toys that were laid out for the customers. Jiwon was about to add fuel to the fire but then realized earlier, she called her co-worker “old” so she decides to let it go for the sake of children present in their area. 

 

“I don’t think you have anger issues, unnie.” Jiwon looked down to see Yeji comfortable sitting down on the floor in her cute cargo pants and pigtails, and she swore the whole sight made her heart melt. 

 

Jiwon smiled ear to ear as she took her hand out, indicating that she wanted Yeji to stand up. “Thanks kiddo, you know you’re my favourite.” The daycare worker winked at her and Yeji lets out a soft giggle as she struggled to get up on her tiny legs. 

 

Momo saw a toy boombox connected to a plastic mic that you could sing into and she had the greatest idea. She knew Jiwon was always the greatest singers, she’s grateful to those moments where they would have Karaoke nights in the basement of the latter’s house. “I think I have an idea,” Momo smirked as she wiggled the tiny toy microphone in her hand. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“So, did you finish the project last night? I feel bad that I couldn’t do any of the work but I’ll make it up to you.” She looked past the divider that made the individual study space and saw Chaeyoung had her arms crossed on the desk with her head tucked in between. “Chaeng?” Yeri whispered out in slight worry. Usually, her friend was always so awake at this time. She nudged her three times and there was still no response so she sighed out and leaned back in her chair. 

 

“We could go out for fried chicken tonight, anything that you want to do my best friend.” Yeri smiled and slapped Chaeyoung’s back, making the other girl glare at her. Chaeyoung was not in the mood for Yeri’s optimism, she was more concerned about everything that happened last night. Not only is she hungover but hungover with massive guilt. 

 

Chaeyoung first looks around to make sure nobody else was in earshot to listen to what she was going to explain to Yeri and leans forward with her hands on her knees. “Listen— “ Yeri looks at her with curiosity until footsteps approaching them were heard. Chaeyoung shot up straight in her seat and cursed at the sight in front of her. Dahyun shyly waved at her and bowed politely at Yeri, a sight Chaeyoung would never think she would see in a million years. 

 

“Uh, hey…” Dahyun rubbed the back of her neck and looked away for a quick second, trying not to blush in front of the girl. “Can we talk for a minute?” The question made the two appalled and Yeri looked at Chaeyoung for confirmation to leave the two alone. The musician quickly nods and Yeri takes that as her signal to give the two some space. Dahyun carefully takes her spot and folded her hands on her lap. Chaeyoung couldn’t believe her eyes, it was like the tiger was tamed. And Chaeyoung was the zookeeper. There was an awkward silence, both of them were avoiding eye contact and Dahyun to look around the university’s library. Dahyun was never the one to hang around the library but maybe next time she’ll come back if she needs some peace and quiet. It was definitely quieter than the guesthouse— Well any place was quieter without ahjussi and Jihyo. 

 

Speaking of Jihyo…

 

“So,” They said in unison, awkwardly looking away again and silently thinking this was the worst conversation to have before their classes started. Chaeyoung couldn’t look at Dahyun in the eye. How could she make eye contact with her ex? Especially after they had ! “Listen, you are not going to say anything and stop folding your hands like a polite !” The musician pleaded in a harsh whisper and Dahyun slowly nodded, feeling something bad was going to happen in a few minutes. “Last night was…” 

 

Oh god, don’t say it.

 

“It was a mistake, Dahyun.” 

 

She felt her world fall apart and she could no longer hear words come out of Chaeyoung’s mouth. It was like her whole body was numb and not in a good way. Dahyun watched as Chaeyoung’s eyebrows knitted together in frustration. The basketball player decided to remain quiet for the rest of the time and Chaeyoung continued to talk, almost sounding like it was lecture intended to attack Dahyun’s heart. 

 

“We can never be together like that, not again. I don’t want you to get your hopes up because of last night and I still have Jihyo.” Chaeyoung paused to scan Dahyun’s facial features. She frowned again when saw the familiar look that she was never so fond of. That look Dahyun gave her when they were in that room at the party. “I know… It’s not your fault…” The younger girl sighed out and rubbed her forehead, feeling stressed from everything that was happening. Not only was her mind on Jihyo, now it was on Dahyun as well. 

 

“C’mon, Chaeyoung. IT IS MY FAULT!” The mentioned girl quickly slaps her hand on top of the latter’s mouth. Chaeyoung kept shushing her since they were in a library and Dahyun felt like she was having a meltdown. Everyone else who was in the library weirdly looked at the duo also at the fact that the famous basketball player was talking to Chaeyoung, a quiet girl from the music department. 

 

“It is nobody’s fault.” Chaeyoung emphasized with her hand still over Dahyun’s mouth. The basketball player kept denying as she shook her head, still thinking it was her all fault because everywhere she goes, she just ruins everything. “I swear to god Dahyun don’t be so dramatic. I’m begging you.” The musician pleaded with her eyes and Dahyun gave her a serious look before she bit her own lip and telling the girl she would shut up, except on one condition. 

 

“I only have one thing to say,” Dahyun whispered out and the latter rolls her eyes at her in annoyance, allowing for Dahyun to speak. “Don’t say the lord’s name in vain to me ever again.” She says with a serious expression and it only took a minute before they both started laughing their heads off. The younger girl playfully slapped Dahyun’s knee as she was reminded of the familiar jokes. Chaeyoung knew Dahyun had a very religious background when she was little until she came out to her family and the basketball player finally realized that if she ever touched the bible again, her hands would burn to dust. But when they were dating, they would always make religious jokes despite the two being atheists. 

 

The laughter died down and they gave each other wide smiles. Chaeyoung sighed out in content, feeling happier than ever. “It’s been so long since we’ve actually talked. I missed this.” She admitted and Dahyun nodded in agreement. 

 

“I missed it too.” Dahyun says with total sincerity and Chaeyoung felt her heart do a little jump, she gulped in fear and Dahyun didn’t seem to notice the weird behaviour so she continued. “Hey, are we cool?” This was the only chance Dahyun could ask for forgiveness from her. Chaeyoung’s mind was screaming no, she couldn’t just forgive the basketball player like this. Dahyun never understood reality, she was living in a world that Chaeyoung could never relate to but the look on the latter’s face right now, she couldn’t deny that look. 

 

“Of course we are.” The musician lied right in her face and made an excuse that she had to get to class early. Dahyun watched her from behind with a beaming smile that couldn’t be wiped off her face. 

 

“We’re cool now…” She whispered to herself in amazement. “WE’RE SO COOL!” Dahyun pumped her fist and stood up from her seat to celebrate, earning the attention from others that were trying to study for their exams. One girl who was annoyed from the moment Dahyun walked into the library shot daggers at her. Her fiery eyes scaring the basketball player as she quietly backed away from her, feeling the library wasn’t the best place to celebrate right now. Dahyun rushed out of the place with her head down and feeling shame from the female librarians. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jiwon was outside of the daycare wearing huge sunglasses that were bigger than the length of her face and stood with a huge (forced) smile along with Yeji by her side, ready to dance her heart out (even though she was never the greatest dancer but Momo knows by the time she had more lessons, she would be the greatest dancer). “Hello everyone, welcome to the daycare where we will be selling some toys that our kids have kindly donated!” She yelled in the mic with her loudest voice and there was a small crowd of university students gathering around the musical duo. They were on their way to the campus but they couldn’t resist Yeji’s cuteness. 

 

Everything was going great until… 

 

“TTEOKBOKKI GET YOUR FREE TTEOKBOKKI SAMPLE!” A middle-aged man yelled out like a businessman and was waving a cup filled with deliciousness in it. The university students lose interest in the musical duo and stampeded towards the nearby tteokbokki cart down the street. 

 

Jiwon angrily stomped her feet and screamed out with Yeji covering her ears. “YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!” She stared at the students who were now going crazy over the free food and puffed out her cheeks. The daycare worker looked back at the daycare where they only had two adults and one boy in there to look at the toys and she sighed out to Yeji who stopped covering her ears. “Yeah, we’re going to need to think of another plan.” Momo walked out to check on the two and sees the commotion happening at the food stand. She sends a weird look to Jiwon and the latter shrugs her shoulder, telling her to not ask about it. Yuna follows suit and Yeji runs to give her best friend a hug, whispering into her ear. 

 

“Jiwon-unnie was yelling again.” They giggle like the crazy little girls and Jiwon could only shake her head because anyone can hear that “whisper” from a mile away. Momo crossed her arms and kept staring at the food stand, wanting a bite of tteokbokki as well. “We’re going to have to do plan B, Momo.” She gave a look and the mentioned girl groaned out, expecting the latter was going to say that since the moment she stepped out. It took a while to convince for Jiwon to start singing trot in front of the daycare with some looks of approval from the university students but Jiwon did say if something went wrong, then they should go to the university to promote their one-day event. 

 

Momo pinches the bridge of her nose. “There’s no way I’m walking on that campus.” Momo has avoided stepping foot on the campus ever since she moved to Korea. The thought of the university just reminds her of the fact that in her age, she should be in school but she chose not to because of her multiple jobs. Jiwon started to give puppy dog eyes and pouted with her lips out and Momo started murmuring “no no no” to her co-worker. Then, Yeji and Yuna started to join in, not understanding what was going on but still followed suit since Jiwon was one of their favourite unnies (other than Momo). The Japanese felt a migraine forming and she cursed out with a short hiss. 

 

“Okay, fine! I’ll go!” Momo knew she regretted making this decision when she saw the three jumping around in a circle, holding hands with each other. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tzuyu was sitting at the dining table on her laptop, she didn’t have any class today so she decided to use it to chill at the guesthouse, working on a lab report. JYP starts fumbling into the room with a bunch of silverware in his hands and Tzuyu stopped typing on her laptop to raise a brow at him. 

 

“Hey ahjussi,” She greeted in a monotone voice and then went back to working on her report. JYP smiles for a quick second and poured out the silverware on the counter, letting out a deep sigh. He puts his hands on his hips and nodded to himself in approval. 

 

“Hey brat,” He greeted back with a quick salute and walked to the sink to turn on the water so he could start washing the new silverware he received. Tzuyu rolled her eyes at the nickname but it was normal for ahjussi to call her by brat, he calls all of the residents by that nickname. In a way, it was sort of calming to Tzuyu to be called that because it meant JYP was okay. “What are you doing?” JYP asked in the least bit of curiosity and furiously scrubbing one of the forks with a pink sponge. 

 

Tzuyu had papers all around the table and continuously kept looking at one paper to make sure she got the information on her lab report right. “I’m just working on a report for school.” The Taiwanese mentally planned to have a break from her school work since she managed to get the majority of the work done and looked to see JYP still washing her silverware. Since Tzuyu always eats all three meals in the guesthouse, she’s a master identifier of the original silverware that ahjussi owns. “Are those new?” She asked, now in the curiosity of where he got them. She has heard many stories from Jeongyeon and Nayeon about ahjussi being a freeloader when they were on their flight back to Korea. They remembered when ahjussi came home with a mini fridge and said he found it with a sign saying it was free. So of course, ahjussi being the freeloader, he took a kid’s red wagon and brought the fridge home. Luckily, Jihyo was there to yell at him to bring the wagon back to the kid. 

 

“Yes, Tzuyu-ssi!” He exclaimed, happy that he got free things and put the newly washed spoons on the drying rack next to the sink. “In fact, I got it from a guy who was giving them on the streets for free! He said it was up to me if I wanted to wash them or not.” He says as if there was nothing wrong with what he just said and Tzuyu showed a disgusted look, throwing her pencil across the table. 

 

“Ahjussi, that’s— “ She was about to say disgusting until she saw JYP used one of his new spoons to eat out of yogurt cup. “That must be delicious.” She lied with a forced smile and took a sharp breath before rubbing her legs out of nervousness. She should tell Jihyo later on in case he develops some sort of sickness. 

 

JYP nodded with satisfaction and showed off his yogurt cup. “This is my favourite flavour.” Tzuyu could see the peaches on the cup and nods, she also liked that flavour but she was more of a bread person. “Say, Tzuyu-ssi?” His eyebrows knitted in concentration. “How tall are you?” He had a mischievous look and Tzuyu ignores it, answering his question with a weird look. 

 

“About 172cm? I don’t really know, it’s been a while since I’ve measured and plus, I’m still growing.” The statement made JYP gasp out loud as he slammed his yogurt cup on the counter and went to go sit beside Tzuyu. 

 

“You’re still growing?” He asked with envy and slight jealousy. JYP wished he was still growing, he thinks he’s pretty tall enough to be a basket

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter