Ch 2: Wheein's Crush

The One For Me

I plopped down on the couch and Kkomo immediately jumped onto my lap.

“Miss me today?” I cooed, scratching his head. “Because I miss you~”

Kkomo purred in response, leaning into my palm. As I continued to play with Kkomo, I thought back to the day’s event.

“Kkomo-ya,” I said in a gentle voice and Kkomo looked up at me expectantly. “Today, I went on a blind date again.” Kkomo let out a low growl and I giggled. “You guess right. It was a disaster.” I sighed. “That’s the third strike. I refuse to go on another date after this, Kkomo-ya.”

Suddenly, the image of a woman with an adorable nose-scrunching smile fleeted through my mind.

I smiled as I remembered our conversation; it was nothing like the ones I had with my dates. I didn’t stutter and there was no awkward silences; I even flirt with her shamelessly.

Too bad she’s not interested in me.

Suddenly, my phone vibrated and a familiar nickname flashed on the screen: Hyejinnie.

My mouth automatically curved into a smile.

Ahn Hyejin.

My best friend. My secret crush. The reason I went on those blind dates.

My thumb hovered over the green button.

One month ago, I made a self-imposed ban on everything Hyejin - just until I find a way to deal with my feelings for her.

I guess thirty days is my limit.

I took a deep breath, pressed the green button and placed the phone to my ear.

“Finally!”

Just at the sound of Hyejin’s voice, my eyes fluttered close and a sigh escaped my lips; it had been so long since I heard that husky voice so close to my ears.

“Yah, Jung Wheein! Where have you been? Why haven’t you come over? Or at least give me a call? Do you know how worried I am? I thought you were dead!”

I smiled to myself.

It took every ounce of self-control in me to ignore the calls and texts she had sent; there was that one time when I felt guilty enough and sent her a curt reply and nothing else.

“Sorry, Hyejinnie. I got caught up with work,” I said. “Now that you know I’m alive, what’s up?”

“I’m fine too, thank you for asking.” I could almost see her smirking. “So, when are you coming over?”

I bit my lip.

Is it a good idea to go over there when I’m not even sure I can act normally around her?

“I don’t know...I’m quite busy at the moment…”

A lie. I at dating and work is slow right now. I’m the worst friend ever.

“Come on, Wheeinie. Can’t you make time for your oldest, bestest, best friend?”

I chuckled. “Wow, I never thought I would hear Ahn Hyejin’s aegyo begging,” I teased. In a more serious tone, I asked, “What’s the occasion?”

I could hear the smile in her voice. “I have something to tell you.”

I scratched my head. “Then...tell me. Right now.”

“Nuh-uh. You have to come over first.”

“What is so important that you can’t tell me over the phone?”

“Something very, very important.”

“Hyejinnie…”

“Jung Wheein, I want to see your face! I literally cannot remember what you look like now!”

I smirked. “How can you easily forget your oldest friend’s face?”

“Because my oldest friend refuses to show her face to me.” She paused. “Seriously, Wheein-ah, is something wrong? You know you can talk to me, right?”

I know. But I can’t. My heart is still not ready. I’m not ready.

“Wheein-ah, it hurts my heart when you won’t tell me what’s wrong…”

I felt the guilt washing over me and I caved in.

“Everything’s fine, Hyejinnie. You don’t need to worry. I promise I’ll come over.”

Hyejin let out a squeal of delight. “When?”

“Uh, tomorrow? For dinner. But you have to cook. No take outs.”

“No worries there. I’m going to blow your socks off. Just you wait.”

Before I could question her, Hyejin hung up.

I was surprised at her confidence; Hyejin rarely cooks and when she does, it was more fusion than anything else.

Of course, it didn’t matter to me because anything Hyejin cook is delicious, but I had to admit, she got me intrigued.

Suddenly, I felt giddy when I thought about seeing Hyejin again after holding myself back for a whole month.

That night, I slept dreaming of Hyejin and an endless supply of fusion food.

 

___________________________________________________

A/N: Thank you for subscribing and commenting! *deep bow*

I wanted to say that Wheein fell for Byul at first sight, but where's the fun in that?  LOL

Feel free to give your feedbacks in the comments.

Thank you for reading! ^_^