Ch 4: Wheein's Unnie

The One For Me

I stared at the clothes strewn around my room.

I had been tearing my hair out trying to pick the perfect outfit to wear for my dinner date with Hyejin. An hour and a half later and I was still not close to figuring out what I wanted to wear.

I can’t think straight. I need some advice.

I grabbed my phone and hit on the speed dial. The call quickly went through and I grinned when I heard her voice at the other end.

“Hyoyeon-unnie,” I said cheerfully into the phone. “Don’t tell me you just woke up?”

“I had a late night at the club,” Hyoyeon-unnie replied lazily. “How’s my favourite dongsaeng doing today?”

My grin vanished as my gaze fell on the clothes lying on my bed, my floor and all over my room.

“Unnie, I need help,” I whined. “I’m trying to pick out a perfect outfit for dinner, but I don’t know what to wear~”

“Nonsense. You have great taste in clothes, Wheein-ah. Your date’s an idiot if they can’t appreciate that.”

“Thanks, unnie,” I said, smiling. “But it’s not a date. It’s just dinner with Hyejin.”

Just dinner?” Hyoyeon-unnie snickered. “When has it been just dinner when it comes to Hyejin? I know you secretly think of those dinners as dates.”

I blushed; Hyoyeon-unnie knew me too well.

The first time we met, Hyoyeon-unnie and I quickly realized that we had little in common; we did share a love for drinking though and sometimes we confided in each other about our love lives.

When I first realized my feelings for Hyejin, I went straight to Hyoyeon-unnie. I was lucky to have her; she didn’t push me away and tried to help me with my confession. But I was too much of a coward; Hyoyeon-unnie suggested that I date other people for the experience.

That was how I started going on those blind dates; Hyoyeon-unnie was against it, but she relented because I stubbornly refused to go out and meet people like a normal person.

“Does this mean you’ve given up on those blind dates?” Hyoyeon-unnie asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

I grimaced; suddenly I remembered that I still haven’t cancelled my subscriptions.

“Yes,” I said, sighing. “I’m not going on another blind date again.”

“Oh? Something happened?”

“I at them. I couldn’t even get one girl to agree to a second date.”

“Why those little…” Hyoyeon-unnie cleared and calmed down. I smiled to myself; Hyoyeon-unnie could be a bit overprotective. “Don’t they know that no one is themselves on the first date?” She sighed. “It’s okay, Wheein-ah. It’s their loss. Our Wheein has more aegyo the more you get to know her.”

I laughed. “Thank you, unnie,” I said softly. “You’re the only one who has my back.”

“Eyy, don’t lie. You have Hyejin too~”

“Hyejin’s different, unnie~”

“Right, right. I forgot.” Hyoyeon-unnie chuckled and swiftly changed the subject. “Since you’re done with those stupid apps, let’s go to the club. I’ll introduce you to some people-Why are you laughing?”

“I-I just remembered,” I said, wiping at my eyes. “Someone said the same thing to me yesterday.”

“Oh? Who is it?”

“She’s, um, I don’t know how to describe her…” I thought hard about the day I met Moon Byulyi. “Adorable? Kind? Sweet?”

Hyoyeon-unnie laughed. “Yah, pick one already. Is she adorable, sweet, or kind?”

“I can’t!” I giggled. For some reason, remembering Moon Byulyi filled my heart with warmth. “Her nose scrunches up when she smiles and that’s why she’s adorable. She’s also kind for offering to help me, a complete stranger. She’s sweet too because she made me feel better when I was having a miserable day.”

Hyoyeon-unnie let out a low whistle. “Wheein-ah, why does it sound that you have a crush on this woman?”

I blushed. “I do not have a crush on Moon Byulyi.”

Hyoyeon-unnie suddenly fell silent. When she spoke again, she sounded upset. “Did you just say…Moon Byulyi?”

“Y-Yeah…” I said timidly, afraid that I had offended her somehow. “D-Do you know her, unnie?”

“Wheein-ah, just…just forget about her.”

I bit my lip; I did promise to think about Moon Byulyi’s offer, but I wasn’t planning on doing anything about it. Hyoyeon-unnie’s reaction though, made me curious.

“Unnie, what’s wrong with her?”

“She’s…she’s infamous at the club, okay?” She paused and let out a long sigh. “You said she offered to help you?”

“Yes, but I wasn’t going to accept it,” I quickly said. “So don’t worry, unnie.”

“Good. That’s good.” Hyoyeon-unnie paused. “I’m sorry if it sounds like I’m ordering you around, Wheein-ah, but I want what’s best for you.”

I smiled. “I know, unnie. Thank you. I love you.”

Hyoyeon-unnie chuckled. “Love you too.”

“Ah, unnie,” I said, remembering the reason I called her in the first place. “I forgot that I called because I need help picking out an outfit.”

“Just wear what you think is the prettiest and the most comfortable for you.”

“Thank you, unnie.” I paused. “Thank you for always listening to me whine and complain about, well, everything.”

Hyoyeon-unnie laughed and I could almost see her waving a dismissive hand at me. “Promise to call whenever you’re free, ‘kay? I miss drinking with you, kiddo.”

“Me too, unnie.”

“And get that Moon Byulyi woman out of your head.”

“I got it, unnie. Bye~”

I ended the call and glanced at the clock.

I gasped; it was nearly time for me to go already.

I quickly picked out an outfit and matching accessories before getting dressed at lightning speed.

Just like Hyoyeon-unnie wished, thoughts of Moon Byulyi was pushed to the back of my mind; only thoughts of Hyejin and our dinner date remained.

 

___________________________________________________

A/N: Hello, dear readers. Here's a short update in Wheein's POV.

I wanted Wheein to have a friend than Hyejin, but because she is introverted, I was having a hard time writing this chapter... lol..

Wheein going on Secret Unnie is a blessing.. haha... I don't know if I captured Hyoyeon's personality correctly, but I wanted her to be Wheein's protective and supportive unnie, so I hope that come across well. ^^

Thank you for reading and I'll see you in the next update!