Ch 12: Their First Date

The One For Me

Our first official date started off with a movie; apparently, both of us couldn’t watch horror movies without screaming at the top of our lungs.

We held hands throughout the whole movie and I didn’t even notice it; I did notice that Byulie-unnie never let go even after we left.

Then, we had dinner at the café we first met; it was quite romantic of her to suggest it and I told her so.

Byulie-unnie just blushed at my words; I had to stop myself from reaching out to the wrinkles on her nose.

“I was worried that you would find it too cheesy,” she confessed. “It’s been a while since I went on a proper date, so…”

“You’re doing fine, unnie,” I assured her. Then, I frowned as a thought struck me. “How did you even meet girls before this?” I asked curiously.

Her face turned a darker shade of red. “Mostly at the club,” she said. “Never in broad daylight.”

“So I’m different then?” I asked softly.

She smiled and my heartbeat quickened.

“You are,” she murmured.

My heart was officially bursting out of my chest when I heard those words. In contrast to my roaring insides, my outer self was calm and collected; we were both beaming at each other when our dinner arrived.

After dinner, we ordered coffee and dessert.

“I had a great time,” I said, stirring my coffee slowly. “Thank you for today, unnie.”

Byulie-unnie looked at me with confused eyes. “Already?” she asked.

My lips twitched; hearing the hint of sadness and disappointment in her voice made my heart flutter.

This unnie is so adorable...

“Unnie, I wasn’t saying goodbye,” I said, reaching out to put my hand over hers. “I was just telling you I enjoyed our date.”

She smiled and turned her hand over, sliding downwards slightly so that my fingers rested in her palm. She wrapped her long fingers around mine and slowly ran her thumb over my knuckles; the motion sent shivers down my spine and scattered butterflies in my stomach.

“I enjoyed it too,” Byulie-unnie said with the softest smile I had ever seen her wore.

I melted when I saw the warmth in her dark eyes. I struggled to name this foreign feeling inside me; it was different from what I felt for Hyejin.

Suddenly, our trance was broken; Byulie-unnie’s phone on the table vibrated incessantly as a call came in.

Byulie-unnie frowned when she saw the caller ID. “Sorry, Wheeinie,” she said. “I have to take this.”

Much to my disappointment, she separated our hands to answer the call.

“Hey.” A brief silence before her eyes went wide and dropped open. “What?!...Is she okay?...Okay, I’ll be there in a few.”

Byulie-unnie hung up and turned to me. “Is it okay if we go to the club for a bit?” she asked with a rueful smile. “We need to pick up Yongsun.”

My eyes widened in alarm. “What happened to Yongsun-unnie?”

“Apparently, she’s passed out drunk. After one shot.”

I blinked. “Seriously?”

Byulie-unnie nodded once. “Yongsun can’t handle alcohol well. Let alone a one-shot.” She paused and scowled. “I’m worried...This isn’t like her...”

I had the feeling that Byulie-unnie wouldn’t stop her musing anytime soon. I took the initiative and stood up.

“Let’s go, unnie,” I said. “I don’t like thinking about Yongsun-unnie all alone in a club.”

Byulie-unnie nodded and stood up too. Without a word, she grabbed my hand, interlacing our fingers, and guided me out the door.

I didn’t have to glance in a mirror to know that I was grinning like a fool.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I turned off the engine and turned to Wheein.

“I’ll be quick,” I said, squeezing her hands. “Wait for me, ‘kay?”

Wheein smiled and nodded.

I hopped out of the car and practically ran into the club. As soon as I stepped inside, I headed straight for the bar.

“Hani.”

The bartender and manager of the club looked up at the sound of her name. Her face broke into a smile when she saw me.

“So you finally decided to show up,” she said.

I ignored her sarcasm. “Where is she?” I asked.

Hani sighed and nodded in the direction of the lounge. “Fair warning,” she said as I started to move. “She’s not alone.”

I looked at her for a moment, trying to predict what was waiting for me and failed; I just gave Hani a nod and headed for the lounge.

I scanned the deserted area and my eyes fell on two figures on a love seat; one of them had their head resting on the other’s lap.

My long strides took me to them in a few seconds. I kneeled down beside Yongsun and saw the tell-tale tear streak on one side of her cheek.

“She’s sleeping.”

It was obvious; I saw the gentle rise and fall of Yongsun’s chest and concluded earlier that she was fast asleep and wouldn’t be waking up anytime soon. But hearing that voice, my head snapped up in surprise.

Oh. So this is what Hani meant…

I quickly put on my poker face. “Hello, Krystal,” I said. “I hope she’s not troubling you?”

Krystal just smiled. “She’s been crying non-stop, but otherwise she’s the tamest drunk I’ve ever seen.”

I nodded. I sighed as I gently wiped Yongsun’s face and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, my hand lingering on her cheek.

Why are you suddenly drinking, Yong? What happened to you? Where is Hyejin?

“Is she your girlfriend?”

Krystal’s query took me by surprise. “Why would you think that?” I asked with a frown.

She shrugged. “It’s just…the way you look at her, I guess.” She paused and smiled. “I remembered how you used to look at me, Byul.”

I smiled wryly. “That’s a long time ago, Krys. I’m surprise you still remembered.”

“I always remember.”

I held her gaze for longer than I would have liked; maybe there were still lingering feelings between us, but I knew that my lingering feelings were something else entirely.

I let out a heavy sigh as I got to my feet. I looped one of Yongsun’s arms around my neck, pulling her off of Krystal’s lap. “Well, if you must know, she’s not my girlfriend,” I said.

Suddenly, Yongsun moved her arms to encircle my waist and buried her face in my neck; her actions effectively negated my previous remark.

I ignored Krystal’s raised eyebrow and the accompanying smirk. I supported Yongsun with one hand on her back and turned to leave.

I froze when I locked gaze with the person standing on the lounge steps.

I saw her eyes went from mine to the clinging Yongsun and then at the space behind me where I assume Krystal was standing; I couldn’t read her expression at all, but I knew instinctively that the smile on her face wasn’t her usual smile.

“I’ll wait outside,” Wheein mumbled. Then, she turned around and walked away.

“So...she’s the girlfriend?”

If I wasn’t busy supporting Yongsun and if my mind wasn’t preoccupied with figuring out what exactly Wheein saw, I would have easily told Krystal that Wheein wasn’t my girlfriend either, but I wish that she was.

 

______________________________________________________

A/N: Okay, so...I promised drama and this is just the beginning...it's going to be a messy affair after this...haha..

If you got theories on what's going to happen, feel free to leave your comments...I'll enjoy reading them and probably be inspired too..^_^

As always, thank you for reading and commenting! ^^