Ch 7: Wheein's Belief

The One For Me

When I got out of the bathroom, I heard muffled noises coming from Hyejin’s entertainment room.

I carefully treaded my way there and heard three voices talking, no, shouting at each other.

“If you want to pursue her, you have to break it off with your friends!”

“What am I supposed to say, Yong? ‘Hey, let’s stop being friends because my other friend says so’?”

“Then just...just stop being intimate with them!”

“Why can’t you say ‘’ like a normal person, Yongsun-ssi? You’re doing it with Hyejin anyway!”

“Yah! Don’t talk to my girlfriend like that!”

I entered the room and the shouts stopped abruptly; three pairs of eyes slowly turned towards me.

Moon Byulyi was trapped on the couch between Hyejin and her girlfriend; Hyejin had Moon Byulyi in a chokehold, looking fiercer than usual, while Kim Yongsun was straddling Moon Byulyi, grabbing her by the collar of her shirt and looking like she just finished a marathon.

“What in the world are you three doing?” I asked, staring at them one by one.

Kim Yongsun was the first to move; she released Moon Byulyi’s collar and stood up, giving me a bright smile.

“Now that we’re all here, let’s have dinner,” she said cheerfully, as if she didn’t just tried to strangle her friend.

As she moved past Moon Byulyi, she glared at her and said, “We’re not done talking.”

I raised an eyebrow.

That was talking? What happens when they actually fight?

Hyejin reluctantly released Moon Byulyi and gave her a death glare before heading for the seat next to her girlfriend.

Moon Byulyi sat up and we locked eyes. She grinned and mouthed a silent ‘thank you’; I responded with a single nod.

We took our places around the table and ate in silence; Hyejin sat with her girlfriend on one side while I sat with Moon Byulyi opposite them.

After a while, my curiosity got the better of me.

“So, what were you guys arguing about?” I asked.

“We weren’t arguing,” Kim Yongsun said, making an I-don’t-know-what-you’re-talking-about face. “We were just...talking.”

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Fine, I’ll play along. What were you guys talking about?”

Hyejin and her girlfriend exchanged glances; Moon Byulyi had her poker face on and continued eating in silence.

Finally, Hyejin spoke.

“We were just talking about how Byulie-unnie should stop playing around if she wants to seriously pursue a certain someone.”

I looked at Moon Byulyi.

So that’s why you weren’t interested in me…

Moon Byulyi stopped eating and stared at the couple opposite us, pointing her chopsticks at them. “I’m not pursuing anyone now or in the future.” She sighed and stared down at her rice bowl. “I told you, I’m not interested in relationships. Not anymore...”

Ah, this is why Hyoyeon-unnie told me to stay away from her…

Hyejin was about to say something in response, but her girlfriend gave her an intense glare and she stopped.

We resumed eating and by the time we finished, the tense atmosphere from before had disappeared and we became closer.

Who knew discovering each other’s food preferences could be the ultimate ice-breaker?

“I’m full!” I announced, rubbing my stomach and smiling from ear-to-ear. I gave the chef two thumbs up. “Unnie, your cooking is the best!”

Yongsun-unnie laughed and waved a hand shyly. “Yaa~ You’re too kind, Wheeinie,” she said, giggling. “Hyejin makes awesome food too.”

“But she only makes fusion,” I whined. “It gets boring after a while.”

Hyejin’s eyes almost popped out in anger and she threatened to hit me with a heavy cushion; luckily, Yongsun-unnie worked fast and stopped Hyejin from rampaging.

I giggled at the sight.

“I’m glad you’re doing okay.”

I glanced at the owner of the voice. “Actually, I’m not,” I confessed. “But I will be. Yongsun-unnie’s nice and so are you, Byulie-unnie.”

She just smiled and said nothing.

It was nearly midnight when Byulie-unnie and I decided that it was time to leave.

“Don’t disappear on me again,” Hyejin murmured when she pulled me in for a goodbye hug.

I closed my eyes and nodded, squeezing her tight. “I promise.”

Silence fell over us as Byulie-unnie and I rode the elevator down and then walked together until the entrance of the apartment.

“I’m going this way,” I said, pointing to my right. “Good night, unnie.”

“Good night.”

I gave her a slight bow and went on my way.

Ten minutes later, I realized someone was following me; my heart raced, fearing the worst and my steps quickened.

When I came to a corner, I stole a glance at the round mirror above me; I let out a relieved sigh when I saw Byulie-unnie’s reflection.

“Are you stalking me now, Byulie-unnie?” I asked loudly without turning around.

I continued to walk, but at a slower pace; her footsteps slowed down too.

“I was worried about you.”

I chuckled. "This is not my first heartbreak, unnie.”

“Sorry…”

I twirled around to face her while walking backwards; the street was deserted and there were no corners to bump into, so I was safe.

I studied her for a moment; she had her hands in her pockets, her shoulders slumped forward and a deep scowl darkened her beautiful features.

I tilted my head to the side. “Why are you being nice to me, unnie?” I asked.

She shrugged. “I don’t know,” she said. “Maybe I see myself in you.”

I frowned. “What do you mean?”

“I went through a heartbreak once and, well, let’s just say I didn’t come out of it unscathed.”

I stopped walking and so did she.

“Everyone deals with heartbreak differently, unnie,” I said. “I’m not you.”

Her smile was bitter as she said, “I guess not.”

“Is that the reason you don’t do relationships anymore?” I asked.

She sighed and rubbed her neck, frowning. “It’s not like I didn’t try,” she explained. “But I couldn’t get rid of my insecurities and it’s not fair to the other person either, so I ended up breaking things off.”

“And that’s when you started to play around with girls.”

She winced. “Why does it sound so bad when you say it?”

“Because it is bad, unnie. You shouldn’t play around too much. What if you finally found the one and she doesn’t want to be with you because of it?”

She smirked. “You believe in the one?”

“I believed that Hyejin was the one for me. But, as you can see, I’m not the one for her.”

“And you’re okay with that?” she asked, looking at me with worried eyes.

I smiled and nodded. “I choose to believe that there is someone out there for everyone. Even for you, unnie.”

She looked at me as if she wanted to say something, but decided against it at the last minute.

She just smiled and said, “Thank you, Wheeinie. I hope you find the one for you too.”

For some reason, I didn’t feel happy hearing that at all.

 

___________________________________________________

A/N: Dear readers, who's excited for MMM's comeback? I am! XD

Anyways, here's another update and thank you for reading! ^^