Ch 28: Our Promise for the Future

The One For Me

A/N: This is the last chapter everyone! T.T

I started this series because I miss Wheebyul and I honestly didn't expect it to go on this long..haha..

Thank you for reading until the end and thank you for commenting because your feedbacks inspired me when I lost my inspiration. ^^

Hope you enjoy this chapter and I hope I'll see you in my other works... ;-)

______________________________________________________

I stared at her sleeping face and my mouth curved into a lazy smile; I felt only bliss and content when I wake up to see her next to me like this.

I reached out to lightly caress her face, then her bare shoulder and down her long arm before finally intertwining our fingers.

I saw twitch; she was awake.

But I wasn’t done.

I brought her hand to my mouth and placed little kisses on the back and the inside.

“Wheein-ah…”

I paused my mouth on her pulse and glanced at her. Her eyes were half-opened and curved slightly upwards.

“What are you doing?” she asked in her deep morning voice.

If I was only playing around before, I was fully by now.

“Waking you up,” I drawled as I trailed kisses up along her arm. I paused when my mouth reached her cheek and added, “It’s the last morning I’ll ever see you like this.”

It had been three months now since Byulie was discharged and we had been spending those months exploring our favourite places together. I even got to meet her infamous friends; they weren’t actually that bad, but my Byulie is still in danger from their charms.

Today is finally the day for me to fly off to Paris. This is our last morning together and I wanted it to last forever.

Byulie turned her face and captured my mouth with hers; her kiss was both desperate and reassuring at the same time and I returned it with just as much fervour.

“It’s not the last,” she whispered breathlessly after we pulled away. She cupped my face and looked at me with loving eyes. “I told you I’ll come for you soon.”

“I wish you could come with me now,” I mumbled and rested my head on her chest. “Seeing you on Skype is not the same as seeing you in person.”

She chuckled and wrapped her arms around me. “You’re actually worried about something else, aren’t you?” she asked softly.

I bit my lip.

She was right. I’m actually worried about all those girls who would pounce on her once I’m out of the picture. I trust Byulie; I just don’t trust them.

“You have nothing to worry about, angel,” she murmured as she kissed the top of my head.

I raised my head and stared at her. “I’m not worried about you,” I said. “I’m worried about them.”

She grinned. “You could always put a ring on me,” she teased.

My mind went blank.

Did Byulie just…

“Of course, it’s just a thought,” she quickly said. “I’m not pressuring you into anything, okay?”

I nodded, but I was already deep in my thoughts. Even if Byulie didn’t bring it up, I had already prepared something for her.

I quickly sat up, startling her, and jumped out of bed.

“Angel…?”

I ignored Byulie’s call and rummaged through my bag for a certain item I had held on to since the day before.

“Wheeinie~”

My mouth twitched hearing her whine, but I still haven’t found what I was looking for. When I finally did, Byulie was already sulking.

I smiled and crawled back onto the bed. One glance at me and she wasn’t sulking anymore; she gave me a soft smile and beckoned me into her arms.

I nestled in her embrace and pulled out the item I had been looking for. “Here,” I said simply. “Open it.”

“What is it?” she asked curiously. She studied the wooden box carefully as if she could see through it. Then, she smirked. “Are you actually proposing to me, Jung Wheein?”

I blushed and hit her lightly on the chest. “Just open it,” I mumbled.

She chuckled and opened it with a pop. “Oh.”

I snuck a glance at her face, suddenly feeling nervous.

Both her eyes and mouth were wide open as she stared at the contents inside the box, but I couldn’t read her expression.

“Wheein-ah…”

She finally turned to face me.

My heart almost stopped when I saw the tears in her eyes and the smile on her face.

Does she like it? Or does she not like it?

I was panicking inside, but she put those worries to rest when she kissed me and murmured, “Thank you. I love it.”

I let out a breath of relief. “I made an inscription too,” I said as I took one out and showed it to her. “This is yours.”

She took the silver band from me and squinted her eyes to read the inscription carved inside. “‘The Angel’s Star’,” she read. Then, she paused and smile. “This is almost like what I gave to you,” she said, referring to the necklace around my neck. “Just in writing.”

“It’s temporary,” I said. “I’m going to carve even more cheesy things on our wedding rings.”

She looked at me in horror. “You would not.”

I gave her a smug smile. “I definitely will.”

“Yeah, no way,” she said firmly. “I’ll be in charge of our wedding rings because if there’s going to be a proposal, it’s going to be from me.”

I raised an eyebrow and smirked. “Oh? Is this you telling me that you are going to propose?”

She blushed. “Th-That’s not happening anytime soon,” she stammered. “You still have your internship and all…”

I laughed and kissed her cheek. “I know, I know. I was just messing with you.” I paused. “But if you do propose, you know I’ll say ‘yes’ in a heartbeat, right?”

She smiled. “I know.” Then, she cleared and took the other ring out. “So, this is yours?” she asked. She raised an eyebrow and smirked. “A couple ring for us?”

“A promise ring,” I corrected her. “It’s a symbol of our promise for the future.”

“I like the sound of that,” she murmured and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. “So, what does your inscription say?”

“‘The Star’s Angel’.”

She stared at me for a moment before laughing hysterically. “You are so not creative at this,” she said with tears in her eyes. “I’m glad you’re not the one picking out the wedding rings.”

“Hey, I am creative,” I cried, squishing her hamster cheeks in protest. “I’m the artist who’s going to Paris in a few hours.”

Suddenly, our mood became sombre.

“Yeah, forgot about that,” she said quietly. “It’s in a few hours, huh?”

“Sorry, Byulie,” I murmured as I wrapped my arms around her and buried my face in her neck. “I didn’t mean to bring the mood down.”

“No, you just reminded me that I have to spend every last second remembering everything about you until the day I get to see you again.”

I tightened my arms around her and whispered, “I’ll be waiting.”

We spend the whole morning cuddling in bed; Kkomo joined us for a bit before he got bored. Then, Byulie helped me finish packing and suddenly it was already time for us to go to the airport.

“Here,” Byulie said as she took my hand and slipped my silver ring onto my fourth finger. “Just in case some foreigners decided to hit on you.”

I chuckled. “I love you,” I said as I stood on my tip-toed and kissed her lips. Then, I took her hand and slipped her ring onto her fourth finger. “Just in case those girls decided to make a move on you.”

She smirked. “That’s the real reason you got these promise rings, huh?”

“Shut up and kiss me, babo.”

She was still smiling when she leaned down and kissed me.

As we walked out the door, I turned around to look at my apartment for one last time. “I never thought I’d miss this place,” I said with a sigh. “I never thought I would leave it, actually.”

Byulie slipped her hand around my waist and smiled down at me. “This apartment will still be here when you get back.” In a softer voice, she added, “I will be here.”

I stared up at her.

Her eyes shone with love and devotion that I could never hope to see in anyone else; she really is the only one for me.

That was why, from the bottom of my heart, I could confidently reply, “I know.”