Ch 16: The Coffee Date

The One For Me

We stopped by Wheein’s apartment first; she needed to feed Kkomo and change her clothes. Then, we ditched the car and walked to the café; it was just a block away.

As we were walking, Wheein suddenly slipped her hand into mine. I glanced down at her; she gave me a tight smile.

“Nervous?” I asked as I shifted my hand and entwined our fingers. She nodded and gave my hand a squeeze. “I’m sorry I can’t do more,” I said quietly.

Wheein shook her head. “No, you being here is enough,” she said softly. “Thank you again, unnie.”

I tugged her hand and when she was close to me, I planted a kiss on the top of her head. She looked up at me with startled eyes.

I smiled. “A good luck kiss.”

She blushed and muttered her thanks; she was still tense, but I could feel her relaxing a little.

When we finally reached the café, Wheein’s steps halted. I gave her hand a gentle squeeze and she shot me a nervous smile. Then, we stepped inside.

Yongsun and Hyejin was already there. They were clinging to each other like usual, but something felt off; maybe it was the way they were eyeing us.

No. They were eyeing Wheein.

I scowled.

What are you two lovebirds planning now?

“Glad you could make it,” Yongsun said brightly as we came nearer.

We took the seat opposite them and a waitress quickly came to our table to hand us the menus. But none of us made the move to open the menu.

Then, Wheein spoke.

“So, why do you want to see me, Yongsun-unnie?” she asked, looking directly at Yongsun.

Yongsun took a deep breath. “Wheein-ah, I want to know how you truly feel about Hyejin. I want to know if you’re in love with her.”

I glanced at Wheein; she didn’t look fazed, but she did grab my hand and was squeezing it tight.

“I have always been in love with Hyejin,” Wheein said calmly. This time, she was looking directly at Hyejin. “Since high school until now. But she’s moved on with you, Yongsun-unnie. So, I gave up.”

“Why? Why are you giving up?”

I stared at Yongsun in disbelief.

Is she in her right mind? Why are you asking your rival not to give up?

Hyejin probably thought the same too because she was eyeing Yongsun warily. “Babe, is everything alright?” she asked, squeezing Yongsun’s shoulder in concern.

“Yes, but not you.” She smiled at Hyejin and caressed her cheek. “Baby, you can’t even look at her in the eye and you’re telling me you’re over her?”

Hyejin blushed. “I…”

“Look, I understand. Wheein’s your first love. You must have mixed feelings now that she’s admitted she loves you..."

“Babe, you don’t understand…”

Yongsun frowned. “What don’t I understand?”

Hyejin sighed. “I’ve known for a while that she has feelings for me, but it’s been years and I wasn’t sure anymore. So I chose to move on.” She paused and smiled as she took Yongsun’s hand and brought it to her lips. “Then, I met you and the rest is history.”

Yongsun blushed. “B-But, Wheein…”

“Oh, I’m fine, unnie,” Wheein quickly said. She raised our intertwined hands for Yongsun to see. “I’m dating Byulie-unnie now, so…”

We never talked about this, Wheein-ah!

Hyejin looked as surprised as I felt; Yongsun was surprised too, but her face quickly broke into a smile.

“Oh, I knew you two would hit it off,” she squealed.

Wait a minute.

“That night delivery thing was you setting us up?” I asked incredulously.

“Uh-huh,” Yongsun said with a smug smile. “I did a good job, right? Good job me~”

I rubbed my temple. “I thought you didn’t want me to hook up with Wheein?”

“I don’t. But I do want you to have a relationship with her, Byul-ah.” Yongsun grinned. “And now you’re off to a good start. I’m so proud of you~”

My face felt like it was on fire; Wheein looked like she wanted to hide under a rock. But I was glad that she didn’t let go of my hand.

Suddenly, Wheein leaned towards me and whispered, “I’m sorry if it makes you uncomfortable, unnie. I know you don’t want a relationship…”

I smiled down at her. “Maybe it’s about time that change,” I murmured.

She looked at me with wide eyes and blushed even harder. If we weren’t in a public place, I would have kissed her then and there.

“Are you sure you want to jump into a relationship so quickly?” I asked, suddenly worried that she was forcing herself.

She chuckled. “If you’re so worried, we could start small. Like a proper second date,” she added with a twinkle in her eyes.

I laughed. “Yes, of course. I would love that.”

 

______________________________________________________

A/N: So....I hope you guys weren't expecting an angst-filled chapter because I tried and failed to write it that way..haha...So this is the best I could do...^^;

(I think I dodged some stuff in here, but if you want to know more, feel free to ask!)

As always, thank you for reading and commenting and subscribing and upvoting! ^_^