Ch 18: Byul's Brother

The One For Me

A/N: It wasn't this long when I first wrote it...haha..well, you've got the long update you wanted @Simplekryberfan. Enjoy! ^^

As always, thank you for reading!! XD

______________________________________________________

The weekend finally arrived; it was the day Wheein will meet my brother.

I was a nervous wreck and arrived at her apartment an hour earlier; she was just getting ready.

“Oh, you’re wearing a dress,” Wheein commented as I followed her inside. “Is there a fancy party I don’t know about?”

“There’s no party, but it is my brother’s anniversary. He likes it when I dress up, so I do it for him every year.”

Wheein raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. She headed for her room, but stopped suddenly and turned to me.

“Do you want to help me pick out an outfit?” she asked shyly. “I don’t know what to wear after seeing you in a dress…”

I chuckled and followed her into the bedroom.

Ten minutes later, Wheein came out in a simple black dress; I had to remind myself that we have an event to attend because every fibre of my being wanted to rip that dress off of her. But it was a persistent thought; my hand unconsciously reached up to wipe my mouth.

Wheein saw and giggled. “I’m glad to know I can make you drool,” she said with a wink.

I blushed at that.

Five minutes later, we were in the car and on our way.

“What’s his name?” Wheein suddenly asked.

“Minhyuk.”

I could sense her eyes on me; I knew that my answer was too brief, but I couldn’t talk about him without tearing up.

She let out a heavy sigh and she didn’t ask anything else for the rest of the ride.

When we finally reached our destination, Wheein let out a surprised gasp.

“U-Unnie…”

I quietly turned off the engine and turned to her with a sad smile. “Yeah, well, it’s hard to talk about these things out of the blue,” I said. “I thought it’s better if I show you.”

Wheein stared at me with teary eyes; I shook my head and wiped them away as they started to fall. Then, I got out of the car and she followed.

I stood at the bottom of the steps and took a deep breath; she slipped her hand in mine and smiled encouragingly at me. I smiled back and squeezed her hand.

Then, we proceeded up the stairs until we reached a familiar group of people. I saw Krystal and her husband, Hani and her boyfriend, and Yongsun and Hyejin.

“Hey.”

They all turned around at the sound of my voice.

“Sorry for coming here all at once,” Hani said as she gave me a quick hug. She glanced briefly at Wheein and smiled before adding, “I’m glad you decided to open up.”

I just gave her a small smile before turning to Wheein. “This is Hani. She’s one of my oldest friends.”

“Hello, Hani-ssi,” Wheein said politely.

“Oh, just call me unnie,” Hani said, pulling Wheein into a tight hug. “Take care of this one, ‘kay?”

I pretended not to hear that and greeted Hani’s boyfriend with a nod. Hani released Wheein and excused herself; she still had a club to run and it’s the weekend.

After Hani left, Yongsun and Hyejin came over to hug me; like Hani, they were glad that I brought Wheein along. They greeted Wheein next before taking their leave.

I greeted Krystal’s husband with a polite bow before I tapped her on the shoulder.

Krystal turned around and smiled. “Thank you for this, Byul,” she said, taking my free hand in hers. “I know I don’t deserve it…”

“We’ve cleared that up, remember?”

She nodded. Then, she turned to Wheein and gave her a polite nod before heading off with her husband.

I guided Wheein to stand in front of the headstone; it had a faded picture of Minhyuk and the words “The Light of Our Lives” carved across it.

“Oppa,” I said softly. “I’ve brought someone today. Her name is Wheein and I really, really like her. I hope you’ll watch over her like you watch over me.”

I chuckled when I saw the blush spreading across her face and neck; she ignored me and greeted my brother with a polite bow.

I released her hand as I bent down to light a few incense sticks. “Oppa, since you’re up there, you know everything, right?” I whispered, staring at Minhyuk’s smiling face. “If I ever screw things up with her, send a signal from up there, okay? Because I don’t want to ever lose her, oppa.”

I put my hands together and prayed the hardest I ever had in three years. Then, I slowly stood up and bowed. “See you again, oppa. We’ll take our leave now.”

Wheein automatically slipped her hand in mine as we turned to walk away; every time I held her hand, my heart would soar and a goofy smile would found its way onto my face. It was still a mystery to me how she could have such an effect on me.

As we walked down the stairs, I started to talk about Minhyuk-oppa.

I told her how he founded the club; how he had mentioned passing the club on to me after he died; how he was the one who consoled me after Krystal left; how devastated I was when I learnt that he had cancer; how I came to hate Krystal for not attending his funeral; how I found out that he really did give his club to me.

“I later found out that Krystal’s absence was all a misunderstanding,” I said, smiling sheepishly. “But it would’ve hurt less if she was there to support me.” I paused. “Since Minhyuk-oppa left me his precious club, I’ve been neglecting it. I’ve decided that it’s time I devote myself to it like Minhyuk-oppa did.”

“Ah, is that why you quit working for Yongsun-unnie?”

I nodded. “I have to spend a lot of time to learn the basics from Hani.” I paused, gently squeezing her hand. “I’m sorry. I wouldn’t be able to spend as much time with you after this.”

She smiled up at me and slowly shook her head. “It’s okay, unnie. I need to start focusing on my work too.” She chuckled and added, “My agent reminded me the other day that I still have an exhibition to prepare.”

I stopped walking and pulled her into my arms; she looked up at me with a quizzical smile.

“So we will both be busy,” I said. “Will we have time for that third date?”

She laughed and looped her arms around my neck. “If you miss me, just come over to my place after work.”

“Are you sure?” I asked, frowning. “I finish at five. In the morning.”

“I don’t mind,” she said with a shrug. Then, she winked at me. “I like the idea of seeing your face first when I wake up.”

I blushed.

Seriously. This woman is way greasier than me!

“If I didn’t know better, I would've thought you’re asking me to move in with you, Jung Wheein-ssi,” I said jokingly.

“Is that a bad thing?”

I stared at her. “You’re…serious?”

She averted her gaze, but I didn’t miss the blush on her face. “I-It doesn’t have to be now. I mean, we’ve only gone on two dates and we’re not official or anything, but-”

I didn’t let her finish; I cupped her face and pressed our lips together. When I pulled away, her eyes were wide with shock.

I chuckled. “Sorry, but I had to kiss you for that.”

She smiled and pulled me closer. “Well, don’t stop now…”

It was a very inappropriate place to start making out (we're in a freaking cemetery!), but we didn’t care. For some reason, my heart felt lighter than before as our lips melded together.