Ch 22: I Am Yours

The One For Me

I stopped celebrating my birthday after Minhyuk-oppa passed away, but things are different this year.

This year, I have a girlfriend and she insisted that we celebrate my birthday.

“I don’t want anything big,” I said firmly.

“How big is big?”

“Deejays. Clubs. Lots of people.”

“Okay, so a house party with family and friends.”

I chuckled. “Yeah, that sounds perfect.”

“Do you have to close down the club?” she asked, looking at me warily.

“No, we can open late,” I said. “As long as Hani don’t get too drunk, I don’t have to go there myself.”

Wheein frowned as she scribbled on her notepad. “Minimize the amount of alcohol,” she mumbled. Then, she grimaced. “This will be a boring party without alcohol.”

“Hey, you want to throw a party in the middle of the week. We need to think about working people too, you know.”

She rolled her eyes. “Fine. As long as I get to celebrate your birthday,” she added, pecking me on the cheek.

I just smiled as I watched her plan everything with Hyejin over the phone.

 

I was stunned.

I figured that family and friends would consist of Hani, Yongsun, Hyejin and Wheein; I came home to find Wheein’s parents, Krystal and her husband as well.

“What the-”

“Before you start cussing me…” Wheein pulled me to one side while the others sang “Happy Birthday” at the top of their lungs; clearly, they’ve been drinking. “I invited Krystal because she’s the oldest friend you have. She’s family. Right?”

I stared at her for a long while.

God, I love this woman.

I grabbed her face and crashed our lips together. She looked disoriented when we finally pulled apart; I was a little pleased with myself at that.

“You’re right,” I murmured. “Krystal is family. That’s why it hurts when Oppa passed away and she wasn’t there.” I stared at her in awe. “How did you know?”

She shrugged. “You loved her. She loved you. Even now, I can see that there is love between you too. It’s not the same as what we have, but it’s enough for me to know that she’s not going away anytime soon.” She paused. Her smile and her gaze were soft and warm as she pressed one hand over my heart. “I know that she would always be here. But I can live with that because I know you love me, Byulie.”

I furrowed my brows, keeping the tears at bay. “Yes. I do love you, Wheein-ah,” I whispered harshly. “I’ve never felt as strongly about anyone as I do about you.”

She chuckled. “I feel the same way.”

 

That night, I had a surprise waiting for her.

It was a present that I had saved for Christmas, but in light of our conversation before, I figured it was the right time.

She came out of the bathroom and looked at me with a curious smile. “What are you doing?”

I was sitting on the bed, fidgeting nervously, with a box in my hands. I quickly got to my feet and smiled awkwardly. “Um, sit. Please.”

She raised an eyebrow, but complied. “You’re not supposed to get me any gifts,” she said with a chuckle, pointing at the rectangular box. “It’s your birthday.”

“Oh, no, no. I got this for Christmas, but…” I opened the box slowly and showed it to her. “I want to give it to you earlier…”

She gasped and reached a hand into the box; she took out a silver-chained pendant necklace and placed it on her palm. “It’s beautiful,” she whispered as she thumbed the silver carvings of a star encircled by a pair of wings. “What does these mean?”

“The star represents me,” I explained as I took the necklace from her and hooked it around her neck. “The angel wings represent you. Because I always call you ‘Angel’,” I added, suddenly feeling shy. “To me, the wings around the star means ‘Byulie is Wheeinie’s’.” I paused. I pointed at myself and then at her. “I am yours.”

She looked at me in silence. Then, her tears fell.

“Moon Byulyi, you silly woman,” she mumbled through her tears. “Is this about what we talked before?”

I shook my head and knelt before her, taking her hands in mine. “I told you, this is my Christmas present for you. That conversation we had…it just made me want to give it to you sooner.” I squeezed her hands gently and smiled up at her. “I am yours, Jung Wheein. Never forget that.”

She nodded and leaned down to kiss me. “And I am yours, Moon Byulyi,” she murmured against my lips. “Always.”