Ch 25: Wheein's Mistake

The One For Me

I leaned back against the wall and closed my eyes. My fingers tightened around my phone as I let out a long sigh.

“How long?” I asked.

“A year.”

My eyes snapped open. “A year?” I screeched. Then, I realized I was in a hospital and lowered my voice. “That’s too long, oppa!”

“Listen to me, Wheein-ah. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You’ll never get a chance like this again.”

I hesitated. My eyes flickered to Byulie’s room; she was busy solving a puzzle book Hyejin and Yongsun-unnie had brought earlier.

“I don’t know, oppa,” I said as I turned away from the room and ran a hand through my hair. “I told you about my girlfriend, didn’t I?”

“I’m not asking you to fly off this instant, but they do need an answer. Take your time and think about it, Wheein-ah. Promise me you’ll do that.”

“Okay…”

“I’ll check back with you in a week.” A pause. “I hope your girlfriend gets better soon.”

“Thank you, oppa.”

I ended the call and let out another long sigh. Then, I turned around and slowly headed towards Byulie’s room.

Byulie raised her head from the book and her face lit up when she saw me. “You’re done?” she asked as she set aside the book and welcomed me with an open arm.

I nodded as I climbed on the bed and let her arm wrap around me. I let out a contented sigh as I curled into her warmth.

“Is something wrong?” she asked quietly. “You look upset…”

“My agent called…He said there’s an offer for me.”

“Oh? Isn’t that good news?”

I let out a bitter laugh.

It is good news. But not for me. Not if I have to leave you, Byulie.

I kept quiet. I wasn’t ready to have this conversation.

Byulie pulled away and looked at me with concerned eyes. “Hey, you know you can talk to me, right?”

I smiled a little. “What if you don’t like what I’m about to say?”

“I’ll decide if I like it or not after you say it.”

I hesitated.

Why is this even more nerve-wrecking than that time when I told her I love her?

I took a deep breath and looked at her straight in the eyes. “The offer is for an art internship program in Europe.”

I saw a myriad of emotions swirling in her eyes, but her face remained blank. My insides were in twists and knots waiting for her to speak and my heart just wouldn’t calm down as my mind started playing the worst possible scenarios.

“When are you going?”

I stared at her, dumbfounded. It wasn’t a question I expected her to ask; I didn’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t that.

When I finally found my voice, I asked her, “Why did you ask me that?”

I was surprised to see her surprised.

She suddenly looked unsure of herself. “Um, did I say something wrong?” she asked timidly. It was a refreshing sight for me; I’ve always had the pleasure of seeing a confident and sometimes infuriatingly smug Moon Byulyi, but never this side of her. “You are going, right?”

This woman…This is why I love you, you know.

“You’re assuming that I’ve accepted the offer,” I said flatly. “Why on earth would you think that?”

She blushed. “I’m not wrong, am I?” she asked with a pout. “We never talk about it, but you have dreams, right? Isn’t going to Europe a dream come true for artists like you?”

You’re not wrong, Byulie. But you are wrong about me.

“I have always dreamed about travelling across Europe. I want to soak myself in their arts and cultures,” I confessed. My voice softened as I gazed at her with all the love in my heart. “But then you came along.”

She stiffened. “Me?”

I nodded. “A person that I would regret ever letting go. A person who would only come along once in my lifetime.”

“But this offer comes once in your lifetime too,” she argued, smiling wryly. “Won’t you regret letting it go?”

I shook my head and smiled. I pressed the palm of my hand against her cold cheek. “I would regret letting you go even more.”

She let out a quiet laugh and leaned into my touch. “You still haven’t confirmed you’re going, right?” she suddenly asked.

I blinked, surprised by the sudden turn in the conversation. “Yeah…”

“When do you have to give your answer?”

“I have seven days…”

“Good. Let’s take our time and think about it, okay?”

I sighed and let my hand fall to my side. “You’re still on that?” I asked, suddenly getting tired of this conversation. “I thought we agreed that I’m staying.”

We didn’t agree on anything,” she countered. “I want you to go, but you want to stay.” She paused and sighed. “Look, let’s just agree to disagree and give ourselves time to think about this.”

I scoffed. “You just want time to brainwash me into going.”

She smirked. “Maybe I do want that.”

Suddenly, a dark thought flitted across my mind. “Why do you want me to go so badly?” I asked, looking at her with curious eyes. “Is there something or someone waiting for you when I leave?”

She let out an incredulous laugh. “Are you being serious right now, Jung Wheein?” Her voice was calm, but I could see the fury in her eyes; I’d never seen this side of her either, so I knew that I have crossed the line. “Are you accusing me of cheating on you?”

Apologize right now, Jung Wheein. You know you don’t mean it.

“What if I am?” I asked defiantly. “There must be a reason why you’re so eager for me to go.”

Biggest. Mistake. Of. My. Life.

She scoffed and looked away. “I can’t believe we’re having this conversation,” she muttered as she withdrew her arm from around me. When she looked at me again, I could clearly see the hurt in her eyes. “Do you really think I would do that to you?”

I hesitated.

You know she wouldn’t. This is your chance, Jung Wheein. Say it!

I was taking too long and she was getting impatient. “Answer me, Jung Wheein!”

Startled, I blurted out, “Yes, I do.”

Goddammit.

I watched as Byulie’s once warm and gentle eyes became cold and hard; even her voice sounded like a stranger’s to my ears.

“Get. Out.”

I did as she asked and ran out of the room.

 

______________________________________________________

A/N: So, is this angsty enough? Because if it is, yay!! If not, well, I'll do better next time...haha...

Why do you think Byul really wanted Wheein to go? I'm looking forward to your thoughts on this... ^_^

Thank you for the comments and subscriptions!! ^^