Ch 9: Restless Byul

The One For Me

I was restless the whole morning; Wheein didn’t text me back at all.

Did I say something wrong? Was it the double date thing? It has to be.

Those thoughts looped around inside my head until Yongsun stepped in.

“Yah, Moon Byulyi!” Yongsun grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me hard, effectively bringing me back to reality. “I didn’t pay you to stand like a statue and ignore the customers!”

Before I could explain myself, two customers entered the restaurant.

Yongsun released me and muttered, “Go. Smile. Do your usual...you.”

That was easier said than done. If Yongsun knew, she wouldn’t have said that; then again, Yongsun had never met Krystal.

I forced a smile when our eyes met; her eyes widened in surprise, but she smiled back.

“Good afternoon,” I said and politely bowed as they stepped up to the counter. “How many are dining in?”

“Just two,” the man beside her answered. His eyes finally met mine. “Oh. It’s you.”

I secretly felt relieved; there was no sign of malice on his face, just genuine surprise.

I nodded. “Hello again,” I said. Then, I my poker face. “Please follow me.”

I grabbed two menus from the counter and led them inside to an empty table. I waited for them to scan the menu and decide what they wanted to eat. I took that time to study Krystal’s side profile; even after five years, she still looked as stunning as the first time I saw her.

“Excuse me.”

I snapped out of my thoughts and saw Krystal’s husband looking at me with narrowed eyes.

“You’ve decided?” I asked, holding up my pen and notepad.

He nodded and listed down their order. I jotted them down and brought the ticket to the kitchen. I didn’t go back out immediately; I kept peeking through the kitchen door at the chatting couple.

“Who’s that?”

I jumped when I heard Yongsun’s voice next to me. She looked at me with curious eyes, but I ignored her.

“I thought you don’t go for married women?” she continued asking.

“I don’t,” I answered curtly.

“Then…what are you doing?”

I didn’t answer.

“This looks like stalking to me,” Yongsun commented, ignoring my lack of answer.

I scoffed. “I don’t stalk people.”

I’ll admit to stalking just one person and that person is Jung Wheein.

“Good because you’re doing a horrible job at it.”

I glared at her. “Is there any point to this?”

“The point is, you’re not acting like yourself, Byul. Who is this woman and why does she affect you so?”

I hesitated.

I’d never told Yong about Krystal; I vaguely told her that I was hung up over my ex the first time we met and nothing more. I had gotten rid of Krystal’s pictures, so Yongsun had no idea what she looked like either.

A loud bell rang and we both jumped in surprise.

“I’ll tell you later,” I said hurriedly as I grabbed the order for Krystal’s table and headed out.

I kept my eyes on their table the whole time until they got up to leave. Her husband came up to the counter to pay while Krystal waited by the door.

“Krys wants to talk to you,” he said as he waited for me to swipe his card.

My hand paused in the midst of swiping. I looked up at him and asked, “Why can’t she ask me herself?”

“She’s afraid you won’t want to.”

I resumed swiping his card. “She’s right. I don’t.”

“Are you still not over her?”

I thought about it.

For the past five years, I rarely thought about Krystal; except for that one day out of the whole year when I would visit him. I supposed it was more out of guilt than fondness that I recalled our memories together.

I shook my head slowly. “I’m over her, but I don’t think I could talk to her without getting emotional.”

“I saw the way you looked at her before…”

My hand twitched as I handed back his card. “Don’t worry,” I said. “I was just admiring how she hasn’t aged a day since I last saw her.”

He was silent when he accepted the card from me.

“How did you know I work here?” I asked, not looking at him.

No one should know...except-

“Uh, Krystal...she, uh, talked to your friends at the club.”

I closed my eyes and bit back a sigh.

Those nosy little…I’ll have a talk with them later.

I handed him the receipt. “Thank you for dining with us,” I said politely and bowed.

I watched him walked over to Krystal and whispered something. She looked at me with sad eyes before following him out.

I didn’t know what she wanted to talk to me about and I didn’t care to find out; if it was so important, she would come find me herself.

“It’s her, isn’t it?” Yongsun appeared beside me and patted my back gently. “The girl who broke your heart?”

I nodded slowly. “My first…everything,” I murmured. “But I’m okay, Yong,” I quickly added, forcing a smile. “Honest.”

Yongsun nodded, but she didn’t seem convinced.

Suddenly, she whipped out her phone and typed furiously on it; I tried to sneak away, but she quickly linked our arms together, forcing me to stay.

Five minutes later, she was beaming at me.

“Get ready, Byul,” she said with glee. “We have to make a special delivery tonight.”

I frowned. “We don’t make night deliveries, Yong,” I reminded her.

She rolled her eyes. “I told you. Special. Delivery. Now who’s the boss here?”

I sighed and pointed at her. “You are…”

She nodded triumphantly. “That’s right. So let’s go and prepare that delivery order. They’re expecting us at 8.”

I let out another sigh as she dragged me into the kitchen.

 

______________________________________________________

A/N: Hi, here's another update. Also, Mamamoo's comeback is near! Yay!! XD

Thank you for reading! ^^