Ch 13: Wheein's True Feelings

The One For Me

Byulie-unnie finished buckling Yongsun-unnie into the passenger seat and closed the door. Then, she slowly turned to face me.

“I’ll go back on my own,” I said quietly.

She looked startled. “Wh-Why? I can drop you off. It’s on the way.”

“No,” I said, shaking my head firmly. “I want to be alone right now.”

Byulie-unnie looked like she wanted to protest, but instead she said in a resigned tone, “Okay. Get home safe.”

Then, she went to the driver side, started the engine and drove off.

I watched her car until I couldn’t see it anymore.

“Jung Wheein?”

I spun around and came face to face with Hyoyeon-unnie.

“Hyoyeon-unnie?” I asked, surprised to see her. “What are you doing here?”

“I work here,” she said, gesturing at the club Byulie-unnie and I exited earlier. “What are you doing here?”

“I came to pick up a friend.”

Hyoyeon-unnie looked around. “Where’s your friend?”

“She just left.”

Hyoyeon-unnie raised an eyebrow, but didn’t pry further. “I just finished my gig,” she said instead. “Want to go for a drink?”

I smiled.

I must look like I badly needed a drink or unnie is actually a mind reader.

“Sure,” I said. Then, I glanced at the club and added, “But I don’t want to drink in there.”

Hyoyeon-unnie chuckled. “Okay. I know just the place.”

I followed Hyoyeon-unnie to her car and she drove us to a familiar place.

“Remember?” Hyoyeon-unnie asked with a grin. “This is where we first met.”

I grinned back. “Of course I remember. Thank you for keeping me company that day.”

Hyoyeon-unnie shrugged. “I’m just glad you broke up with that good-for-nothing.”

I chuckled and followed her inside.

We sat at the same table as that day and ordered our usual. As we wait, Hyoyeon-unnie started grilling me.

“So, who is this friend who dare to leave behind my cute dongsaeng?”

I chuckled; Hyoyeon-unnie was being protective again.

“Her name’s Kim Yongsun,” I said. “And she didn’t leave me behind. She’s passed out after all.”

Hyoyeon-unnie scrunched her eyebrows together. “Kim Yongsun? I feel like I’ve heard her name before…”

“Ah, she’s a friend of Moon Byulyi. Maybe that’s why. I came with her, by the way, but I decided to-”

I stopped short when I saw the reprimanding look on Hyoyeon-unnie’s face.

“You met Moon Byulyi again?”

“It wasn’t on purpose,” I argued. “I was going to Hyejin’s place for dinner and I met her there.”

Hyoyeon-unnie frowned. “What was she doing at Hyejin’s?”

“Apparently, she was invited by her friend Kim Yongsun. She’s Hyejin’s girlfriend, by the way.”

Hyoyeon-unnie’s jaw dropped. “Hyejin’s girlfriend?” Her face softened and she reached out for my hand. “Are you okay, Wheein-ah?”

I nodded and forced a smile. “I’ll be fine, unnie,” I said. “I’ve decided to give up on Hyejin and move on.”

“How can you give up so quickly?” she asked.

I felt tears b in my eyes and I quickly blinked them back. “I want her to be happy, unnie,” I said. “I saw how happy Hyejin is with Yongsun-unnie and I don’t want to ruin that.”

“But you never had a chance to tell Hyejin how you feel.”

I let out a bitter laugh and the tears fell without restraint. “I had my chance, unnie,” I said softly. “I had my chance and I blew it.”

Hyoyeon-unnie looked at me in surprise. “What are you talking about, Wheein-ah?”

I wiped my eyes and sniffed. “Back in high school, Hyejin confessed to me.”

“What?!” Hyoyeon-unnie paused and frowned. “You rejected her,” she said flatly. “Why?”

I nodded slowly. “I was scared of my own feelings, unnie. So I ran the other way and got myself a boyfriend.” I paused and smiled through my tears. “Hyejin was kind enough to stay friends with me, but nothing is the same since. It took us years to be comfortable around each other again.”

Hyoyeon-unnie patted my hand and waited patiently for me to continue.

“When I finally come to terms with my feelings, I was afraid to confess. What if she rejects me? Our friendship won’t survive this time, unnie.”

“You don’t know that,” Hyoyeon-unnie said in a quiet voice. “You two have been friends for a long time. I don’t think either of you would let go just like that.”

Unnie’s right. Even back then, I didn’t want to stop being friends. I’m sure Hyejin felt the same. I hurt her and she still stayed. But I’m not Hyejin. My heart isn’t as strong as hers.

“It’s too late, unnie,” I said firmly, wiping away my tears. “She’s found someone else. She’s happy now.”

Hyoyeon-unnie sighed and nodded. “I still think you should tell her. At least there won’t be any secrets between you two.”

I felt a pang in my chest.

I know I’m being a coward, but I’m not as brave and open about my feelings as Hyejin is…

Just then, our order arrived.

Hyoyeon-unnie quickly filled two glasses to the brim and handed one to me.

“I’ll stop meddling, so do what you feel is right, Wheein-ah,” she said before downing the first shot and filling up her glass to the brim again. “Just...don’t get involve with Moon Byulyi.”

“I think you’re a little late, unnie. We already had our first date today.”

Hyoyeon-unnie almost choked on her drink. “Wh-What? A date? During the day?”

I raised an eyebrow. “I think that’s normal for a date.”

“Yes, of course. It’s just…” Hyoyeon-unnie paused and stared at her glass for a long while. “It’s not like her...”

I downed my drink and let out a satisfying hiss. “You sound worried, unnie,” I said as I filled up my glass. “What is Byulie-unnie’s usual MO?”

“She usually picks up girls at the club, goes home with them and leave the next day.”

I remembered Byulie-unnie saying something similar; it was vague, but I got the idea.

At least she was honest about it and that’s a major plus in my book.

“So it worries you that she’s different with me?” I asked.

"No, I’m happy that she’s different with you. It’s just…” Hyoyeon-unnie sighed. “I just hope she doesn’t break your heart, Wheein-ah…”

I frowned. “Do you know something, unnie?”

“Everyone at the club knows that she’s allergic to relationships, so…”

Ah, right. Byulie-unnie’s fear of commitment.

“It’s okay, unnie,” I said. “I don’t want a relationship either right now.”

Hyoyeon-unnie raised an eyebrow. “Oh? So you’re not going to be serious with her?”

I shrugged. “I just got my heart broken, unnie. A relationship is the last thing I want to be in.”

I said that and yet I was still affected by that scene between Byulie-unnie and that Krys woman.

“That’s good to hear,” Hyoyeon-unnie said as she downed her drink. “If anything, Moon Byulyi is the perfect rebound girl.”

I could only smile at that.

 

______________________________________________________

A/N: Hi, this update is longer and I'm worried it would be confusing.. ^^;

If it gets confusing, feel free to tell me in the comments.. ^^

As always, thank you for reading and commenting! ^_^