Ch 21: Family

The One For Me

A/N: Just a heads up. I'm dropping three consecutive updates to move the story along. I hope no one have a heart attack later. ^^;

Enjoy! ^^

______________________________________________________

I felt extra nervous today.

My agent had just dropped off the invites to my exhibition; there would be a private viewing before the exhibition is opened to the public and my agent suggested that I give out the invitations to my family and friends.

I already knew the first person I would invite. (Sorry, Mom and Dad!)

“Byulie…”

She looked up from playing with Kkomo and gave me an inquisitive smile. “Yeah?”

“A-Are you free this Saturday?”

“Are you asking me out on a date?”

I blushed.

It’s weird; we’ve been dating for nearly three months now and I shouldn’t feel this shy at the mention of a date. But I was; mostly because Byulie would always be the one to initiate them.

“Does it count as a date if I’m inviting you to attend my exhibition?”

She blinked. Then, she jumped to her feet (startling Kkomo into hiding) and wrapped her arms around me, squeezing me tight.

“You did it!” she squealed. “Good job, Wheein-ah!”

Byulie’s words would always bring me to tears; I’ve become a sappy mess around her, but surprisingly, I didn’t hate it.

I hugged her back and took in her scent as I nuzzled her neck. “Thanks,” I whispered. “Thank you for putting up with me.”

“I love putting up with you.”

I felt my cheeks warmed. “I love you too,” I mumbled.

She chuckled and pulled away; I frowned, missing her warmth already.

“Do you want to go out to celebrate?” she asked, smoothing the creases between my eyebrows. “With Yong and Hyejin?”

“Sure. I need to pass out the invites to them too.” I paused and looked at her warily. “Byulie, I’m inviting my parents…”

She smiled and raised her eyebrows. “Yeah, of course. They’re your parents.”

I bit my lip. “You’ll be seeing them there..."

She blinked a few times and then nodded. “Yeah, you’re right. It’s hard not to bump into them on that day.” She paused and looked at me tentatively. “Do you want me to avoid them or…”

I quickly grasped her hands and stared intently into her eyes. “Of course I want to introduce you to them,” I said firmly. “You’re a part of my life now. I want them to know you.”

She smiled and pulled me back into her arms. “Thank you. I want that too.”

I sighed into her chest and hoped that everything goes smoothly on that day.

 

It went absolutely wonderful.

My parents were surprised, but Byulie won them over with her charms and thoughtfulness; they sympathized with her when they learned that she has no living relatives since her brother passed away and insisted that she call them “Mom” and “Dad”.

Byulie was touched, but she was cool about it in front of them; that night though, she cried in my arms. I knew I made the right decision to introduce her to my parents.

“Thank you,” she whispered as we lay in bed. “You don’t how much it meant to me.”

Of course I don’t know. How can I even begin to imagine?

But I could tell from the way she treated my parents that she would love them like her own. I hoped that she won’t stop loving them even when we’re not together anymore.

Jung Wheein, you promised that you would stop thinking like that. You love this woman and that is it. No more running. No matter what happens.

I blinked back my tears and caressed her cheek. “Hey, you’re not alone, okay?” I murmured. “We’re your family now. I’m your family.”

She leaned into my hand and smiled. “Yes,” she mumbled. “Yes, you are.”