Ch 5: Byul & Wheein Meet Again

The One For Me

I was humming to myself while carrying two plastic bags of chicken and sparkling juice when my eyes fell on a familiar figure.

“Jung Wheein-ssi?”

The petite woman turned around and her eyes lit up with recognition.

“Moon Byulyi-ssi?”

“This is quite a coincidence,” I said, grinning. My heart thumped wildly and my steps quickened toward her. “Do you live around here?”

She shook her head. “No, I’m visiting a friend.” She looked down at the bags in my hands. “Do you need help?”

“No, it’s okay. I can handle this much.”

But she ignored me and grabbed one; I was too stunned by her dimpled smile to wrestle the bag from her.

“Do you live here, Byulyi-ssi?” she asked as we walked side-by-side towards the elevator.

“No. My friends invited me for dinner.” I gestured to the plastic bags. “I’m in charge of bringing extra snacks.”

An awkward silence fell over us as we waited for the elevator to arrive. Finally, I couldn’t stand it anymore and spoke.

“So, Wheein-ssi…how’s blind dating going for you?”

“I’m done with blind dates,” she said.

I chuckled. “So you’re off the market now, Wheein-ssi?” I asked.

I couldn’t believe the disappointment I felt just then, thinking that this beauty beside me had become someone else’s. A sudden heavy feeling crept into my chest and I was having trouble breathing. When she shook her head, I was able to breathe again as the heavy feeling in my chest lifted.

“It’s not like that. I’m…taking a break from dating.” She paused and looked up at me with wary eyes. “Can I confess something?”

My heart jumped a little. “Y-Yeah, sure…”

“I actually have a crush on someone.”

I swallowed. “O-Okay…”

“She’s the reason I went on those blind dates in the first place. I’m not confident enough to confess my feelings, so I thought dating someone for the experience would help.”

A picture formed inside of my head and that heavy feeling crept back into my chest. “Your crush is the same friend you’re visiting,” I said flatly.

The blush spreading across her cheeks was so beautiful, I found myself staring.

“Are you going to confess to her?” I asked before I could stop myself.

Her head snapped up and she stared at me; her eyes were big and dark, it was impossible not to drown in them.

“I-I don’t think so…” She frowned, her eyes filled with doubt and insecurity; I steeled myself from putting my arms around her. “Do you think I should?”

Her soft voice was like needles piercing through my ears and my heart. I swallowed the pain and smiled.

“You’re a beautiful woman, Wheein-ssi,” I said, hoping that my voice wasn’t trembling. “She would have to be blind or an idiot if she rejects you.” I paused and took a deep breath. “I-If you need my support, you have it. Just tell me when and where.”

The smile she gave me was blinding and her deep dimple was on full display as she whispered, “Thank you.”

The elevator arrived and we got on. As the door closed, I quickly put on my poker face before its reflection betray my true feelings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hadn’t told her yet.

I hadn’t told her that Hyoyeon-unnie warned me about her.

I hadn’t told her that I’m rejecting her offer.

But I did tell her about my crush.

My one, well-kept secret that no one but Hyoyeon-unnie knew.

Maybe I want to believe that the Moon Byulyi beside me is the same Moon Byulyi I met at the café; adorable, kind and sweet.

But glancing at her reflection on the elevator doors, I saw no trace of that same woman; her beautiful face was impassive and her eyes had lost its warmth. The same warmth I felt from her moments before when she told me she had my back.

Maybe this is the face she uses when she’s visiting her friends…That can’t be it, right? Maybe it was me. Maybe I said something wrong.

Suddenly, I remembered that I forgot to press the button for Hyejin’s floor. I glanced at the panel beside me and frowned.

“We’re getting off at the same floor,” I stated, not realizing that I was talking out loud.

I saw her reflection; her poker face faltered for a whole second before it was back again and she gave a lazy shrug.

“Maybe our friends live on the same floor,” she said. “It’s not uncommon.”

I nodded weakly and sighed.

I don’t like this Moon Byulyi. She’s cold and unfriendly.

I caught myself and shook my head vigorously.

Wait. That’s not right. I don’t like this Moon Byulyi or any other versions of her. I like Ahn Hyejin and Ahn Hyejin only.

I took a deep breath and smiled at my reflection, ignoring the piercing gaze thrown by my silent companion.

The bell dinged as the elevator reached our destined floor. The door opened and I passed through first, hurrying down the corridor towards Hyejin’s apartment.

My steps halted when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned to find Moon Byulyi walking slowly behind me.

“You’re still carrying my bag,” she explained, gesturing at the bag in my hand. “And I’m going this way too.”

I frowned.

Is this really a coincidence? The world isn’t that small, right?

I hastily handed her the plastic bag and quickened my steps until I arrived at Hyejin’s door. I rang the bell and waited.

A moment later, Hyejin opened the door and beamed at me. “You made it!” she squealed, pulling me in for a hug. “I missed you, Wheepup!”

“I missed you too,” I murmured as I returned her hug.

I heard the rustling of plastics first before I heard her cough.

Hyejin pulled away and stared at the person behind me. “Byulie-unnie? You’re here too?” she asked, her smile turning into a frown.

“Yong invited me. I brought chicken, just in case.”

Hyejin sighed. “You’re lucky you got chicken, unnie,” she grumbled. Then, she shifted her attention to me and smiled. “Come on in, Wheeinie. I want to introduce you to someone.”

I was too preoccupied with the thoughts of Moon Byulyi being acquainted with Hyejin that I didn’t realize she had dragged me inside.

When we reached the living room, Hyejin let my hand go and headed for the other room. From where I stand, I saw a woman setting up the table in there; she looked up when Hyeijn approach her and the look she gave Hyejin made my heart stop.

It was the same look I had whenever I think of Hyejin; I confirmed it many times through mirrors and also when Hyejin and I made silly videos together.

I was vaguely aware of someone’s presence behind me, but my gaze was glued to the two people walking in from the other room; I noticed their intertwined hands and the way Hyejin protectively pulled the other woman close to her.

I knew even before Hyejin said it.

“Wheein-ah, this is Kim Yongsun. She’s my girlfriend.”

I remembered the days when Hyejin’s smile would lift my spirits up and fill my heart with happiness and warmth; today, her smile became the hammer that shattered my heart into a million pieces.

 

___________________________________________________

A/N: Finally, Byul, Wheein, Hyejin and Yongsun are gathered in one room. Did everyone guessed about Hyejin and Yongsun's relationship? ^^

Feel free to leave your feedback in the comments. Thank you for reading! ^_^