Ch 1: Byul's Mystery Girl

The One For Me

I raised my head and sure enough, there she was.

My mystery girl.

I know nothing about her, except that she would be in my favourite cafe at the same time on the same day every week.

I had been doing this for a month and if anyone had noticed, they would’ve pegged me as a stalker.

I never thought that one day I would be reduced to stalking a girl; usually, it was the other way around.

I took in her petite figure and a smile tugged at the corner of my lips.

When it comes to her, my vision tunnelled and I completely ignored the fact that she wasn’t alone.

Suddenly, her date got up and left.

I expected her to follow suit, but she stayed. Suddenly, she bent over the table and her shoulders shook violently.

My chest constricted at the sight and before I realized it, I was already at her side.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

She slowly raised her head, looking at me through teary eyes.

“Y-Yes,” she said, hastily wiping her eyes and nose. “Th-Thank you for asking.”

She gave me a forced smile.

Maybe I’m being too nosy?

But I couldn’t stop myself; I was too curious to leave her alone.

“I, uh, I’ve seen you here a few times,” I said, taking the seat opposite her. “I-It’s not like I was stalking you or anything,” I quickly said and my heart fluttered when she let out a little laugh. “I noticed that you were always with a different girl every time. You’re not some infamous playgirl, are you?”

She snorted. “God, no. They were my blind dates,” she said. “It’s a pity that I never get past the first dates.”

Why would a pretty girl like her need to go on blind dates?

Now, I was even more curious about her.

“If it’s not a bother, can I ask you something?”

She nodded once.

“Who set you up on these blind dates?”

She grimaced. “A dating app?”

I smiled. “Dating apps are cool and all, but it’s not the same as actually going out and meeting people.”

“I know that.” She sighed. “But it’s hard for me to meet someone new because I don’t go out much.”

I had never regretted anything as much as what I said next.

“I’ll help you.”

She blinked. “You will?”

I couldn’t trust myself to say anything coherent, so I just nod.

“Thanks, I guess.” Suddenly, she smirked and my insides melted at the sight of her deep dimple. “Don’t tell me that this is a pretext for asking me out?”

My heart stopped and I nearly blurted out “yes”. But I quickly bit back my reply and shook my head vigorously.

“No, no, I honestly want to help you.”

I swore I died inside when her red lips formed the most adorable pout I’d ever seen on a grown woman.

“Okay…” She paused and the playful smirk found its way on her face again. “It’s a pity though. You’re quite a catch yourself.”

My cheeks warmed at the unexpected compliment.

How in the world does this girl not get a second date? She’s almost as greasy as me. Almost.

I cleared my throat. “To tell you the truth, I’ve never actually done this...cupid thing.”

“Really? I honestly couldn’t tell.”

I could only laugh at her mocking tone. “Cool it with the sarcasm,” I said. “I’m only trying to help.”

She chuckled and nodded.

“So, my plan is I’ll take you to a club and introduce you to some people. If you like them, shoot for it.”

Her brows knitted together. “I don’t know...I’m not really a club-type girl...”

“I understand. It’s just a suggestion.” I grabbed a napkin and a pencil and scribbled on it. Then, I handed it to her. “This is my number. Call me if you decided to give it a try.”

She glanced at the napkin and raised an eyebrow. “Is this how you usually pick up girls?” she asked, smirking.

I laughed and shook my head. “No. Usually, I would get their numbers and usually, it’s not at a cafe in broad daylight.”

“I guess I’m a special case then.”

You are special.

I stopped myself just in time; a part of me wanted to tell her, but another part warned me that she deserves someone better.

“Thank you, Moon Byulyi-ssi,” my mystery girl was saying as she folded the napkin and tucked it into her purse. “For coming over and talking to me.” She hesitated before giving me a wary smile. “About your offer...I’ll think about it.”

We both stood up and headed for the door.

Just before we parted ways, she extended a hand towards me. “My name is Jung Wheein, by the way.”

Finally, a name to fit my mystery girl’s angelic face.

I accepted her hand and smiled.

Then, she turned and walked away.

I watched her until I couldn’t see her figure anymore.

That night, I fell asleep while waiting for the phone call that never came.

 

___________________________________________________

A/N: Hi again, everyone. This time, it's a Wheebyul fic! ^^

I don't know if this POV works with my style of writing. If it does, or doesn't, let me know in the comments. Thank you again for reading! ^^