Chapter 32

Untouchable Face

What would you do if you could change your past? If you had a rewind button which could take you back to certain moments of your life, would you want to revisit them? Would you want to change them? If you could go back in time and make a different decision, a decision which would undoubtedly change your life, would you make it?

Bomi's thought about that.

Bomi's wondering what would have happened if she'd never gone to Alley Pub's bar that night, if she'd never met Chorong. She wouldn't be about to have this conversation with Eunji and their friendship wouldn't be about to break beyond repair.

Right now, if she could go back in time and not meet Chorong, she doesn't think she'd take the opportunity.

If she had the chance to change things, she wouldn't. The truth is, she'd do exactly the same thing she's already done. It may be terrifying how quickly life can change but change isn't always bad.

When she first met Chorong six months ago in the bar, she had no idea their initial journey would ultimately conclude at Namjoo and Hayoung's wedding. She had no idea meeting this random stranger one night would lead her to questioning her morals and eventually changing her behaviour. She didn't know she would fall in love with Chorong and she didn't know that by choosing to talk to Chorong, she would end up breaking Eunji's heart.

You never truly know the consequences of your actions until you're facing them. She knew Eunji was always going to find out, it was inevitable and she has been playing a waiting game for months, ever since she first met Chorong but now it's happened, now she's facing the consequences, she doesn't know what to do.

You can prepare as much as you want but when you're actually living the moment, it doesn't really matter what you've done in the past or what you've done to prepare, it only matters what you do. Maybe if Bomi had handled the conversation better, she wouldn't have left the wedding alone, maybe Eunji wouldn't have slapped her and maybe she wouldn't have unknowingly caused Chorong to believe Eunji's doubts about her.


 

Everybody has heard the philosophical question 'if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?' Her answer has always been yes, of course it makes a sound. She doesn't bother engaging in debates and questioning whether the tree really exists or not. She thinks that's ridiculous. The truth is, just because somebody doesn't hear or see something, it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Things happen every single day you don't witness but it doesn't mean they've not happened.

Eunji hadn't seen Bomi and Chorong together, she'd hadn't bore witness to them falling in love with each other.

But that happened.

Right now, Bomi wishes nobody will witness what is happening between her and Eunji. So far she doesn't think anybody has seen Eunji's hand wrap menacingly around her waist. To anybody else, it looks like Eunji is merely posing for the photograph but her hold is constricting and Bomi feels incredibly trapped.

"Smile Bomi," Eunji orders sternly. "Apparently you're amazing at putting on appearances for everybody else's benefit."

She prays the photographer doesn't draw attention to the fact that the colour has just left her face. She feels sick, like she could throw up at any second. She knew this feeling would surface, guilt with an incessant need to apologise but she had expected Eunji to cry and shout at her, she didn't expect her to be callous and hard.

This isn't normal behaviour for Eunji and she doesn't know what to do.

All she knows is she and Eunji need to get as far away from everybody else as possible. Bomi tries to take a step forward but Eunji's hand on her waist tightens. "We're not done with the pictures yet."

Bomi stiffens and stays where she is. "We need to talk."

Eunji chuckles dryly. "Whatever gave you that impression?"

"Can I have the brides and their parents now please?"

The photographer's request is welcomed and Eunji's hand drops from her waist. The bridesmaids slowly begin to disperse as Hayoung and Namjoo wave their parents over. Bomi starts walking in the opposite direction of the other bridesmaids, away from the rest of the guests. She spots Chorong staring at her with a worried expression lacing her face before the woman starts walking towards her.

"Bomi, I really need to tell you something."

"Would that something be Eunji knows about us?" Bomi questions. It comes out harsher than she intended and she grimaces slightly. She's not angry at Chorong by any means; she's just surprised and overwhelmed. They had agreed to wait until after the wedding to tell Eunji. Minutes ago she had been enjoying the day and now everything has come crashing down around them. Now she understands why she felt odd most of the afternoon, especially once Eunji took Chorong away to talk. She knew something was wrong but you never actually expect the worst to happen. "If that's the case, I already know."

"You do?" Chorong sighs heavily. "She told me something and it...I just couldn't contain my guilt anymore," she starts explaining. "I know what we agreed but I couldn't postpone it any longer. I'm sorry."

"What exactly did you agree?" Eunji questions as she joins the two women. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything. I mean, clearly whatever you two need to discuss is more important than my feelings right now. Feel free to carry on."

"Don't be ridiculous," Bomi replies quickly.

"I don't know what I feel right now, angry, hurt, betrayed, upset, it's a myriad of feelings but I think I have every right to act how I want to right now."

"You know you're important to me."

"Bull Bomi," Eunji spits. "If I was really important to you, you wouldn't have done what you did."

"If you'll just let me talk, then maybe –"

Eunji glowers ever so slightly before closing the gap between her and Bomi. "I trusted you." Her tone remains calm yet menacing.

"I know you did."

"Why did you do it?"

"Look Eunji, I know you must be angry at me right now, furious, but this isn't the right time for us to have this conversation."

"I think it's the perfect time."

"Do you think it's the right place?" Bomi fires back quickly. "Look around you, we're at Namjoo and Hayoung's wedding, it's their day." She points behind Eunji. "They're having photos taken; all the attention should be on them, not us. We can't ruin this day for them."

"Chorong did that the moment she told me all about you and her." Eunji spits.

Chorong fiddles with her fingers. "I know I shouldn't have said anything."

Eunji turns her head to face Chorong. "No, your mistake was not saying something sooner. You should have said something months ago."

"She hasn't ruined the wedding Eunji, the ball for that is completely in our court," Bomi counters.

"She ruined us," Eunji shouts.

Bomi isn't entirely sure which 'us' Eunji is referring to, Eunji and Chorong or Eunji and her.

"Eunji, I am so sorry." Chorong steps closer to Eunji but the auburn-haired woman merely shakes her head.

"I need to talk to Bomi," she says, her face stoic and her voice level. "You need to leave."

"I'm not sure that leaving you and Bomi alone is the correct thing to do right now."

Bomi exhales heavily. "It's fine Chorong, Eunji's right. We need to talk so it's best if you leave us alone. We'll be okay."

Chorong looks like she is tempted to argue but Bomi merely tilts her head to the side and after releasing a heavy sigh, she starts walking away, casting one last glance at both women before heading towards her dad, who has been pretending not to watch their interactions.

"You never answered my question," Eunji announces once Chorong has walked away from them, into the comfort of her dad's arms.

"Which one?"

"What exactly did you and Chorong agree?" Eunji clarifies. "It's oddly fitting you've had little secret discussions, I mean everything you've done together has been a dirty little secret. I'm sure talking about me must have been a nice couple bonding experience for your both."

"We agreed Chorong would tell you about us after the wedding."

"Us?" Eunji repeats. Even though she knows Bomi and Chorong have slept together, hearing Bomi refer to them as 'us' causes the reality of their situation to hit her.

Only this morning, she and Chorong had been 'us'.

"Yeah, us."

"So you were just going to let Chorong tell me on her own while you what? Were you planning on waiting in the side-lines until everything was over? Were you going to tell me about the part you played in everything or was that going to remain one big secret?"

"No," Bomi states. "I wanted to tell you but Chorong insisted she should be the one who told you and eventually, I agreed."

"How cute, you actually debated which one of you would break my heart."

"Eunji," Bomi says slowly.

"How was she Bomi?"

"I'm not going to answer that," Bomi says adamantly.

"Why not?" For as long as I've know you, you have been more than willing to share details. In fact, you relish in it," Eunji explains. "What's wrong? Have you gone all shy on me?"

"Stop doing this."

"Stop doing what? Talking to you about Chorong, about my girlfriend?" Eunji questions rapidly. "You said to Chorong we needed to talk and that's all I'm trying to do. It's not my fault you don't like the questions. If you weren't prepared or willing to answer them, you shouldn't have gone anywhere near Chorong. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

"I can answer every question you have Eunji; I just don't think you're going to like the answers."

"Now you've chosen to consider my feelings."

"I have always considered your feelings Eunji," Bomi replies honestly. "I knew what I was doing would break your heart. I was well aware of that fact and because of that; I tried so hard to stay away from her. I never wanted to hurt you but you can't help who you fall for."

"Maybe that's true but you can certainly choose not to act on those feelings."

"I did try not acting on them but it was impossible," Bomi argues. "Chorong is –"

"Don't try and tell me what Chorong is, I know exactly who she is."

"You're right, I'm sorry."

She watches as tears well up in Eunji's eyes. "You can have absolutely anybody you want Bomi, why her?" Eunji's voice breaks as she speaks.

"I never asked for this to happen."

"Why her Bomi?"

Bomi opens before closing it. Nothing she says is going to make this any easier for Eunji to deal with.

"You have no idea how sorry I am," Bomi whispers, scared to speak any louder. "I wish we didn't have to have this conversation."

"Well that's a moot point really isn't it, because we do have to have this conversation so save your apologies," Eunji states sternly. "Right now, any apology you make is wasted on me."

"Okay."

Eunji looks over her shoulder and watches as Hayoung's and Namjoo's parents fawn all over their daughters and their new daughters-in-law. She scans the other guests and finds that most of them are oblivious to what is happening right now but the odd one is staring at them with intense curiosity. She glances back at Bomi before brushing past her and walking further away from the guests. Bomi sighs in relief; grateful Eunji is moving away from any prying ears, before following the woman.

Eunji heads towards the set of steps in front of Hayoung's parents' guest house before sitting down, waiting impatiently for Bomi to copy her actions.

"Do you remember Sohee's seventeenth birthday?" Eunji asks quietly, continuing once Bomi nods. "I drank more than I ever had before and ended up passing out in Sohee's bedroom, after giving everybody in the kitchen a very bad dance." She curls some hair behind her ear. "Sohee ended up spending the night with you rather than looking after me," she continues quietly. "If you or her had been drunk, I would have looked after you."

"I don't really understand what this has to do with what is happening right now."

"I think that was the first time I realised people always choose you."

Bomi scoffs lightly. "People don't always choose me."

"We're having a conversation about how you slept with my girlfriend, do you seriously expect me to believe people don't choose you over me."

"I know you're hurt Eunji but playing the innocent victim isn't going to help anybody right now."

Eunji chuckles dryly. "Yeah, I guess you're right. I mean, I'm already stupid and naïve, I don't need to add another useless adjective to that list."

Bomi shakes her head. "You're not stupid."

"I've been unbelievably stupid," Eunji says in disbelief. "I mean, the signs were all there, they were staring me in the face and I neglected to see them. I mean, why else would you organise an audition for her. You did have an ulterior motive."

"The audition, you're bringing up that again?"

"Were you trying to get into her good books?"

"No," Bomi replies quickly.

"So you honestly did it out of the kindness of your heart, no other reasons?"

Bomi exhales heavily. "Okay, maybe you're right. Maybe I did organise it for Chorong because deep down I wanted her. If I'm being honest, I wanted her from the moment I saw her. There, is that what you wanted to hear?" Bomi shouts. "But here's an idea, rather than point the finger at me over this audition, why don't you ask yourself why it didn't even cross your mind to organise it for her?"

Eunji pauses momentarily. "I didn't know Kyungsoo was directing it."

"So?"

"How could I organise it when I didn't have the inside scoop like you did?"

Bomi shrugs her shoulders. "You could have found a way to do it. You knew her dream Eunji, it's not my fault you didn't have the sense to try and make it happen. The truth is, even though you were her girlfriend, you didn't think about it once."

Eunji glares at her friend. "Stop trying to make me sound like a bad girlfriend when it's your fault Chorong cheated."

"I didn't force Chorong to do anything; she chose to sleep with me. Maybe she had her reasons for wanting to stray."

"What reasons?"

"I don't know," Bomi replies honestly. "That's something you'll have to ask her."

"She said I didn't do anything wrong," Eunji whispers.

Bomi tugs her bottom lip between her teeth nervously. "Maybe you didn't do everything right either."

Tears begin to fill Eunji's eyes and Bomi knows she pushed her friend too far. "I've had enough of this," Eunji spits before shaking her head and standing. "I can't even look at you right now. The sight of you is making me feel sick."

"You wanted to talk and this conversation isn't over. I know I don't have any right to ask but please, just give me a chance to explain." Bomi shouts, standing and chasing Eunji.

Eunji stops suddenly and Bomi momentarily feels relieved, maybe she'll be able to explain her actions. Maybe if Eunji hears her side of the story rather than jump to her own conclusions, things will be okay. Well, it doesn't hurt to dream. Dreams often fare better than reality. When Eunji turns around, her face is stoic, practically expressionless, almost as if she doesn't want to surrender to her feelings. In spite of that, Bomi can see anger and hurt masked underneath her features and her eyes still hold those unshed tears.

All because of her and Chorong.

Naeun told her during their bridesmaids fitting that what was right for her and what was right for Eunji were two different things. She was right. Somebody was always going to end up unhappy. Right now, Eunji's heartbreak is caused by Bomi's happiness.

Chorong chose her.

"You want to explain? Explain how you slept with my girlfriend not once but twice," Eunji spits. "It's pretty ing self-explanatory Bomi. Evidently I was an idiot not to realise my girlfriend was sleeping with my best friend but I don't need you to spell it out for me."

"I know you don't need me to spell it out for you and I never said you were an idiot," Bomi replies calmly. "But this situation between Chorong and I isn't black and white like you think it is."

"I wouldn't try anything on with her," Eunji says quietly, repeating words Bomi had said to her months ago. "Do you remember saying that to me?" She doesn't wait for an answer. "Do you remember telling me you wouldn't try anything on with my girlfriend when you'd already slept with her?"

"Eunji –"

"How many more lies do I have to uncover?" Eunji says.

"No, it's not like that."

"Humour me Bomi, how exactly is it not like that?"

"I didn't know who Chorong was when we first met," Bomi explains, watching Eunji frown. "Remember I told you about Lea, the one-night stand I actually wanted to see again. The girl I told you was different to everybody else. The girl you said affected me. That was Chorong; she didn't tell me her real name."

Eunji's face softens momentarily and for the briefest of seconds, Bomi thinks she might have managed to calm her friend down but Eunji's face quickly hardens once more. "Is that supposed to matter to me?"

Bomi shrugs pathetically because in all honesty, Eunji's reaction isn't what she expected and she doesn't know what else to do. "I thought it would. I mean, I guess I thought it would make a difference. If I'd have known who she was that first night, I wouldn't have slept –"

"Don't lie to me," Eunji interrupts harshly. "You slept with her in Gwangju and you knew exactly who she was then."

"I'd already fallen for her at that point," Bomi reasons. "If I'd have known who she was that first night, things would have been very different."

"So everything that happened between you and Chorong is Chorong's fault?"

"No," Bomi shakes her head fervently. "I didn't say that. We're both at fault."

"If she'd have told you who she was, things would have been different," Eunji says. "That's what you've just said so that leads me to think it must be Chorong's fault because she was dishonest as well as unfaithful."

Bomi her lips before rubbing her forehead. "If I'd have known who she was that first night, I wouldn't have slept with her then," she tells her friend who stares at her in judgement. "But I can't say I wouldn't have eventually. Chorong's different Eunji, she's like nobody I've ever met."

"I know Chorong's different."

"No matter when or how we met, I think I would have struggled to stay away from her," she confesses. "She's like an addiction and the cure all in one. On the one hand, I'm addicted to her and I can't stay away, yet at the same time, she's the cure for my previous behaviour. She makes me a better person Eunji and I love her."

"You love her?" Eunji scoffs.

"Yes I do."

"No you don't. You don't love Bomi, you become infatuated with people and that infatuation is primarily based on lust."

"That's not true."

"You act on sheer want and desire, you don't love. You make quick decisions based on lust, hence your impressive tally of one-night stands and occasionally, you'll have indescribable passion for them but that isn't love Bomi."

"You have no idea what you're talking about," Bomi bites back harshly. "I'm not ing infatuated with Chorong, I love her."

Eunji scoffs once more. "Have you thought about moving in with Chorong?" Eunji questions. "Or maybe you've thought about marriage."

Bomi pauses because in truth, she hasn't really thought about the future with Chorong. Revealing everything to Eunji has been a permanent road block, preventing her from thinking any further ahead.

"Would you marry her right now Bomi?"

Again Bomi remains silent. Being in a relationship after being single for five years is a terrifying prospect on its own but factoring in marriage as well is too much to consider. Yes, she could see herself marrying Chorong but it's not something she's thought about, if she's being completely honest.

"I haven't exactly –"

"Haven't thought about that?" Eunji finishes for her. "Of course you haven't because you only think about the present, you never think about the future or how your actions may affect everybody else's future."

"That's not –"

"I wanted to spend the rest of my life with Chorong. I was ready," Eunji confesses. "I thought about our future and if I could, I would have married her. You, you've destroyed everything we had and for what? Something which might not even last a month? Something which you haven't even thought about in the long-term?"

"Let's get something clear Eunji, just because I haven't thought about marrying Chorong does not mean I haven't thought about my future with Chorong," Bomi clarifies. "I don't want you to be under any illusions that I haven't because I have." She thinks back to last Christmas when Chorong had helped her and Jinsol decorate the tree, the photograph she took of the pair of them is still stored in her phone.

She often finds herself looking at it. When she tried to stay away from Chorong, she would look at the photo and memorise Chorong's features, from the delicate dimple she has under her smile to the way she tilted her head ever so slightly to the right.

"I know you won't believe me, probably will never believe me but Chorong isn't just some game or a conquest to me. I want to be with her. I didn't sleep with her to hurt you okay? I love her."

"She is my girlfriend and you stole her, just like Sohee."

"I didn't ing steal her from you, and I never stole Sohee from you either," Bomi all but screams, unaware that slowly but surely everybody's attention at the wedding is falling to them. "I am sick and tired of hearing you say that nonsense. Sohee didn't love you Eunji, she never did. I can't help it and if I could have changed her feelings, I would have. She was my girlfriend and not yours. She was never yours to begin with. Chorong fell out of love with you and that isn't entirely my fault. I know you want to blame me and believe me; I won't stop you from blaming me because if that's what you need to do, go ahead but I am not the only person to blame here. Chorong would have fallen out of love with you eventually, regardless of whether she loved me or not," Bomi continues shouting. "You may have wanted to spend the rest of your life with Chorong but Chorong didn't want to spend the rest of her life with you."

She can't say she's surprised when she feels Eunji's hand against her cheek.

If she's being honest, she appreciated it.

"Eunji!" Hayoung shouts as she rushes over to the two women. "Calm down."

Bomi brings her hand up to cup her cheek, rubbing it gently. She didn't know Eunji was capable of such a hard slap.

"Are you okay?" Chorong appears by Bomi's side, seconds after Hayoung appears.

"I'm fine."

"Whatever is going on, take it somewhere else," Hayoung orders. "This is my wedding and I don't want anything to ruin it."

"She slept with Chorong," Eunji announces.

Hayoung her lips before glancing between the two women. "Take it somewhere else."

Eunji frowns. "That's it? You don't have anything else to say?"

"Eunji, this isn't the right time."

Eunji's brow furrows a little bit more. She tilts her head to the side and stares at Hayoung in curiosity before opening slightly. "You knew," she says, gasping lightly. "You already knew about them."

"Eunji."

"You did, didn't you?" Eunji says, firmer this time. "Does Namjoo know too? Does everybody know about them but me?!"

"People are staring," Hayoung whispers but it doesn't seem to affect Eunji.

"I don't care!" Eunji screams.

"Eunji, why don't you, Bomi and I go inside?" Chorong asks lightly. "I think it might be for the best. We don't need everybody else knowing our business."

"You are all more concerned about what everybody else is thinking right now than me. Do my feelings not matter to any of you?!" Eunji shouts, oblivious to the attention she has started receiving. "Are my feelings so goddamn insignificant you all just forgot about them?!"

"No, of course not." The answer is unanimous.

"You can't have cared because you cheated," Eunji says, pointing at Chorong. "You can't have cared because you wouldn't have slept with her," she continues, pointing to Bomi. "And you would have told me if you really cared about me," she finishes, directing her final statement to Hayoung.

The other three women remain silent and Eunji shakes her head before turning to Chorong. "I love you."

"Eunji –"

"I thought you were the one."

"I don't know what you want me to say," Chorong admits softly.

"I want you to tell me everything has been one big mistake," Eunji says, stepping closer and wrapping her hand gently around Chorong's fingers. "I need you to tell me you don't love Bomi."

"I'm sorry."

Eunji releases her hold on Chorong. "That's all you and Bomi have to offer, pointless apologies. I don't care that you're sorry Chorong, you do realise you've broken my heart?!," Eunji screams, tears falling down her face. "I wanted everything with you, a marriage, a happy family, the happy ending."

Chorong sniffs before ducking her head and wiping at her eyes. Bomi looks between the women before wrapping her hand around Chorong's fingers, much like Eunji had done earlier. "Don't cry."

Eunji laughs harshly. "What about me Bomi? Should I not cry?"

"I didn't want any of this," Bomi repeats her earlier statement. "If you want to be mad at somebody, be mad at me. I'm your best friend."

"You know, you've always been my best friend and I have always loved you but sometimes," Eunji starts. "I think sometimes I have really disliked you."

Bomi feels tears well up in her own eyes but she blinks them away. "I know you have."

Eunji glances down at Bomi and Chorong's now entwined hands. "I was wrong earlier Bomi-ah."

"What?"

"I said people always choose you over me but that's not strictly true. What I should have said is you choose them over me."

"That's not true."

"No," Eunji says with a dry chuckle. "So if I asked you to pick between Chorong and I right now, you'd pick me."

"You're not asking me to do that though."

"Yes I am."

"Eunji," Bomi breathes out as she realises Eunji wants an answer. "I don't want to choose, I want you both."

"You can't have us both, just like I can't have you both."

Bomi feels Chorong squeeze her hand ever so gently, barely noticeable but Bomi feels it. She looks quickly at Hayoung, as if she'll give her the answer she needs but she merely shakes her heads slowly.

She finally directs her gaze back to Eunji. "I'm not choosing."

Eunji blinks and allows a couple more tears to fall. "You just did."

When she walks away from them and back towards the wedding, nobody stops her.