Chapter 33

Untouchable Face

Her mother has always been a caring person, in Bomi's eyes, it's her best quality. Whenever Bomi has been ill, upset or heartbroken, her mother has taken care of her. Her father, although often grumpy, has always been reliable. That's his best trait. No matter if he's grumpy or tired, he always fulfils his obligations. She used to contemplate what her best quality was, whether she inherited her mother's caring attitude or her father's reliability or whether she had a trait of her own.

She knows she isn't caring like her mother and she isn't really loyal or honest. If she was loyal, she wouldn't have betrayed Eunji. If she was honest, she would have told Eunji about her and Chorong immediately after finding out her one-night stand's true identity. If she was caring, she would have chased Eunji and made her listen to apology after apology.

She's always believed she was particularly reliable, she's always fulfilled her obligations like her father but now she knows she is definitely reliable.

People can always rely on Bomi to do the wrong thing.

She slept with her best friend's girlfriend. That was the wrong thing to do.

She lied to her best friend for months. That was the wrong thing to do.

Rather than accept blame and beg for forgiveness, she tried to suggest Eunji was partially to blame for what happened between Chorong and Bomi. That was the wrong thing to do.

"What the was that all about?" Hayoung spits, closing the gap between her and Bomi.

"Eunji knows about me and Chorong."

"No ," Hayoung says, shaking her head. "I know I said you needed to tell Eunji the truth, especially because what's between the two of you is a lot more than some cheap, sordid thrill, but I didn't expect you to reveal everything at my wedding. You've both been lying for months, could you have not waited for one more day?"

Bomi sighs heavily. "I don't know what you want me to say except I'm sorry."

"If I may interject for just a second," Chorong announces quietly, taking a shy step closer to Hayoung. She swallows nervously because it doesn't take a genius to work out Hayoung is furious and honestly, it's rather frightening. Bomi may be used to Hayoung's temper but Chorong is incredibly wary. "This isn't Bomi's fault; I was the one who told Eunji. I know I should have waited but regardless, I am the reason Eunji lost her temper today. Don't blame Bomi, blame me."

Hayoung shifts her glare from Bomi to Chorong and it's enough to make any confidence Chorong had disappear. "I couldn't care less which one of you is to blame."

"You have no idea how awful we feel Hayoung so please, don't make things worse," Bomi pleads lightly, still holding Chorong's hand. "You can scold me tomorrow, you can even slap me again if you want but please, just wait till tomorrow."

"Make things worse?" Hayoung repeats, effectively ignoring the rest of Bomi's sentence. "Exactly what could I do to make things worse? Eunji's disappeared to god knows where and she's heartbroken so who knows what she'll do, I've left Namjoo to deal with the guests rather than spending the happiest day of our lives together and I'm now in the middle of my friends, yet again." She points at the two of them. "I haven't made anything worse; everything that's happened is down to the two of you."

"Don't you think we know that?" Bomi says, releasing Chorong's hand. "I know what we've done is wrong and we've hurt Eunji and I am sorry for that. Believe me, I'm sorry. If I could have done things differently, I would have."

"Oh no, don't give me that. You could have done things differently Bomi," Hayoung states. "You chose not to."

"You don't know what it's like to be in this situation."

"That doesn't matter." Hayoung scoffs before pinching the bridge of her nose. "I'm going to tell Namjoo what's happened, that's if she hasn't already been blindsided by an emotional Eunji and then, I'm going to try and find Eunji and make sure she's okay. That is if she hasn't left."

"I doubt she'll want to see you."

"Yeah, you're probably right," Hayoung agrees quickly. "But she shouldn't be alone right now. At least you two have each other, she needs somebody and I highly doubt you're going to go after her."

"Do you think she'd let me go after her?" Bomi argues. "I'd receive another slap so I'm going to give her some space because that's what she'll want."

Hayoung glances between the two women before exhaling heavily. "Try not to draw any more attention to yourselves."

Bomi bobs her head slowly before heading towards the Hayoung's house, while Hayoung turns and starts walking away from them to head towards the remaining guests at the wedding. She hears Chorong following her, calling her name but she can't stop. Right now, she can't be outside.

Hayoung is about to attempt to find Eunji and talk to her and Bomi doesn't want to be able to see that. She needs to create a distance between her and everybody else at the wedding.

She walks towards the lounge where she left her purse earlier so she wouldn't lose anything.

"Bomi?"

She ignores Chorong's voice and starts rummaging through her purse, sighing through exasperation when she can't find her desired item. Chorong doesn't try calling her name again and merely walks over to her, placing her hand over Bomi's, stilling her actions.

"What are you looking for? Maybe I can help."

"A cigarette," Bomi answers quietly. "Why the did I give them up?"

In spite of their current situation, Chorong can't help but feel pleased at that new piece of knowledge. "I didn't know you'd given up cigarettes."

Bomi shrugs in a nonchalant manner. "You're not the biggest fan of smoking," she explains quietly. "I could really do with one right now."

"You don't need one, you just want one." The words fall from her lips before she can stop them and she mentally berates herself for attempting to psychoanalyse Bomi.

"I never said I needed one," Bomi snaps quickly before collecting herself. "Sorry, it's just…I've always turned to cigarettes when I've been stressed. It's something to take my mind off everything." She could have sworn she still had a couple of cigarettes hidden in her purse, just in case. Giving up, she grabs a piece of nicotine gum and throws it into , huffing as she does so.

It's a poor substitute.

"I'm very pleased to hear you've quit," Chorong announces proudly. "It's going to be extremely beneficial to your health."

Bomi brings her attention away from her purse and to Chorong. "What happened between you and Eunji?" Bomi asks, running her fingers through her hair nervously.

"What do you mean?"

"In Gwangju, after we spent the night together for the second time, we agreed not to say anything until after the wedding and then all of a sudden, you decide to be honest and tell her everything," Bomi explains. "You need to understand, I'm a little confused right now."

Chorong ducks her head hesitantly. Ever since she told Eunji, obviously she's been worried about how Eunji would react but she's also been incredibly worried how Bomi would feel since she wasn't prepared for Eunji to find out about them. If she's being honest, she's been scared that Bomi will be angry at her.

"I know you're confused and I am sorry I told her."

"I'm not mad at you Chorong," she states firmly, ensuring the other woman understands and when she sees Chorong visibly relax, she smiles shyly. "I just want to know why you did it. You said she told you something and you couldn't keep it a secret anymore. What did she say? It must have been something major." Bomi's smile drops and her face grows serious. "She didn't ask you to marry her did she?"

"No, she told me Jisook tried to kiss her."

"Jisook?" Bomi repeats quietly. "As in the Biology teacher she works with?"

Chorong nods. "Eunji pushed her away because she would never cheat on me." She wipes her eyes while sniffing. "You have no idea what that was like to hear. She told me she loved me and would never dream of cheating on me, yet all the while; I've been cheating on her."

"She had the opportunity to cheat," Bomi mumbles under her breath.

"Yes and she didn't do it. I couldn't listen to her tell me that and profess her love for me. It was too hard; I had to admit what I'd done."

"Of course you did." Bomi sighs before taking a seat at the nearby table. "People see Eunji."

"I'm sorry?"

"Whenever we used to go out for drinks, I'd always be looking for somebody to hook up with and she'd help me. She'd be my wing-woman. She'd point out women she thought I'd like and helped me avoid women I'd already slept with and never called back." Bomi casts a glance at Chorong after that admission but Chorong's face is expressionless. "Eunji never wanted to meet anybody because she didn't think meeting somebody in a club was the best foundation for a long and happy relationship."

Neither woman misses the fact that the foundations of their relationship are based on a sole meeting in a club.

"I used to see plenty of people looking at Eunji, in bars, parks and even when we were shopping, but she never noticed. Even if she did, she wouldn't have been interested," Bomi continues. "She wanted the perfect thing; she wanted a soul-mate. She probably could have cheated on you several times but she never would have. She would never do anything to hurt you."

"I know."

"She had the chance to cheat and didn't, that makes what we've done even worse," Bomi says. "If that's even possible."

Chorong takes a seat beside Bomi and places her hand on the woman's thigh. "What happened between the two of you?"

"What do you think? She asked me question after question about us and what had happened between us. I answered them all but I didn't handle the conversation anywhere near as well as I should have. I'm surprised it took her that long to slap me." Bomi absent-mindedly fingers her cheek. "I think I tried to make out Eunji wasn't innocent because it made what we'd done slightly easier to deal with," Bomi explains. "I suggested that you cheating was partly her fault because it made me feel better to think that she could be to blame as well as the two of us. I shouldn't have done that. Sleeping together was my fault and your fault. Eunji's done nothing wrong."

"I know."

"After Hayoung found out about us, she told me I needed to decide who was more important to me, you or Eunji." Bomi tilts her head to the side. "In all honesty, I always expected my answer to be an easy decision. I expected it to be Eunji. I mean, she's always been one of the most important people in my life."

"I understand that."

"She can't be more important to me though because I chose you."

"You didn't choose between Eunji and I," Chorong replies, slightly confused. "By asking you to choose, Eunji put you in an impossible position. I wouldn't have wanted you to make that decision but if I'm being honest, I wouldn't have been surprised if you chose Eunji."

"But I didn't choose her," Bomi states firmly. "You're right, I didn't verbally choose between the two of you but I didn't walk away from you. I didn't let your hand go, I stayed with you. I said I wouldn't choose but Eunji said I had done. She was right. I chose you. If I hadn't, I would be with her right now."

"Bomi –"

Bomi pinches the bridge of nose in a desperate attempt to keep her tears at bay. "You know, in all the years I've known her, I've never even seen her squash a fly." She fingers her cheek once again, Eunji's fingerprints are still indented there, perhaps not visibly but the memory will never disappear.

"I'm sorry Bomi. I really do wish your friendship with Eunji didn't have to be over," Chorong admits honestly. "You never know, maybe when things calm down –"

"She's not going to give me a second chance. I mean , even if she did I'd probably blow it. I don't exactly have the best track record."

Chorong furrows her brow and removes her hand from Bomi's thigh. It was just a throwaway comment, she knows that, but that doesn't stop it from hurting. She ducks her head but Bomi's hand is automatically underneath her chin, forcing her to look up again.

"I'm sorry Rong; I shouldn't have said that, it was stupid of me. Sometimes I don't think before I speak." Bomi whispers.

"It's fine."

"Chorong," she breathes out. "I've just lost my best friend, probably for good; I really can't cope with you being mad at me."

Chorong whips her head up rapidly. "I've just lost my girlfriend and one of my best friends too, don't forget that Bomi. You don't get the monopoly on that."

"Chorong," Bomi breathes out again, rubbing the back of her neck. "I don't want to argue with you," she confesses quietly. "I just…I don't know what to do. Should I go and find Eunji and try apologising again?"

"I think you were right earlier, I don't think she'll appreciate seeing either of us right now. It might be best if we give her space. Maybe we can try talking to her tomorrow."

"So what are we supposed to do now?"

Chorong scratches a non-existent itch above her eyebrow before entwining her fingers with Bomi's. "Right now, I don't think there's anything we can do. It might not be what you want to hear but we just have to wait. Everything will eventually work out."

Bomi scoffs lightly. "You do know that's not true right?"

"I'm just trying to be comforting. I apologise if those were the wrong words."

"I need to –" Bomi rubs her hands on her thighs before standing suddenly. "I have to go."

"Go where?"

"Anywhere that isn't here right now. I can't be at this wedding anymore."

"I'll come with you," Chorong states as she stands up intent to follow Bomi.

"No," Bomi snaps before regretting it immediately. "I'm sorry, I just…I'd prefer to be alone."

Chorong forces a weak smile on her face in a desperate attempt to hide her deflated expression but evidently she doesn't do a very good job. Bomi leans forward and wraps her arms around the other woman, pulling her into a tight hug because she doesn't want Chorong to think she's pushing her away.

That's the last thing she wants.

"I love you, Chorong."

The words are whispered into her ear and it causes Chorong to smile genuinely but she doesn't repeat the sentiment.

Bomi cups the other woman's cheek when she pulls back and rubs it with the pad of her thumb. "Please, don't worry." She pecks the brunette's cheek gently. "I'll see you later tonight, I promise."

Just like with Eunji earlier, when Bomi walks away, Chorong doesn't try to stop her.


 

She brings the bottle of champagne to and swallows a large mouthful before swallowing another one. Her mom always told her when she was younger to never taken anything for granted because it doesn't take long for everything you thought was real to come crumbling down around you. In one respect, she took Chorong for granted because she didn't envisage a break-up in their future; she naively thought they would be together for years to come, maybe even married in a couple of years' time but now, everything she wanted has been cruelly taken away from her.

After walking away from Chorong, Bomi and Hayoung, she headed towards the open bar and grabbed one of the bottles of champagne, telling the worried bartender to take it up with Hayoung if he had any problems. She walked across the make-shift dance floor, ignoring the glances in her direction and ignoring Namjoo calling after her. Clearly Namjoo understood she didn't want to talk because the newly married woman didn't follow her. She could feel eyes on her from the minute she re-entered the wedding area to the moment she sat down at a vacant table and she can feel those same eyes on her.

She looks up from her bottle to find Yoon Sunghee staring at her with a look of heartbreak and it doesn't take long for Eunji to realise she must have known about Bomi and Chorong. Clearly everybody bar her knew about them. She glances back towards the bar and sees Park Jongin staring at her with a look of confusion and worry. She ignores both parents and chooses to seek solace in the champagne bottle.

At least alcohol doesn't lie to you.

You know exactly what you're getting.

She brings the bottle to once more and swallows another large mouthful before placing it on the table.

"I know the drinks are free but taking an entire bottle isn't exactly what we had in mind when we organised a free bar."

"You can afford it."

"That's not what I meant," Hayoung tells her. "Do you intend to drink your problems away?" Eunji pauses before reaching for the bottle again, only to be stopped when Hayoung reaches it before her. "I think you've had more than enough."

"On the contrary, I haven't had anywhere near enough."

Hayoung exhales heavily before sitting down on the available seat beside Eunji. Considering Eunji only walked away from her, Bomi and Chorong a couple of minutes ago, she's clearly had quite a bit to drink in that time. Her eyes are ever so slightly glazed. "Drinking isn't going to solve anything."

"Do you know that the only reason Chorong first met Bomi is because she wanted to drink her problems away? She went to a bar because she wanted to forget her troubles and in doing that, she met Bomi. Drinking clearly worked well for her so why wouldn't it work for me?"

"It just won't."

Eunji swallows. "It will make me forget and right now, that's all I want."

Hayoung rubs the back of her neck before handing the bottle back to Eunji. She knows it's not the smartest thing to do but she hasn't exactly been doing smart thing for weeks now. If she found out Namjoo had cheated on her, she wouldn't be able to control herself, she would have lost it by now. Eunji is holding it together a lot better than she would. She's kept Chorong and Bomi's secret for weeks; the least she can do for Eunji now is let her drink.

Maybe it will make things better for her.

At least for today.

"Why are you even here Hayoung?"

"It is my wedding," Hayoung replies quietly in a desperate attempt to break the tense and uncomfortable atmosphere with a light-hearted joke. When Eunji merely glares at her, she realises it didn't work. "You're my friend Eunji."

"Only when it suits you," Eunji states with a scoff. "If you were really my friend, you would have told me about Bomi and Chorong the minute you found out. Why didn't you?"

"I didn't want to hurt you," Hayoung tells her. "Besides, it wasn't my place to tell you. Would you have believe me if I told you?"

"You should have made me believe you," Eunji spits. "I was trying to plan a future with her, I asked her to move in with me. You should have had the decency to tell me about them. I thought that was what friends did, although, clearly I've made a wrong choice in choosing my friends."

Deep down, Hayoung knew what would happen if she didn't tell Eunji. She knew that by not telling Eunji, she was siding with Bomi and that would ultimately affect her friendship with both Eunji and Bomi but she can't imagine Eunji not being in her life.

"I am so sorry."

Eunji scoffs once more. "I'm hearing those words a lot today."

"I told Bomi she had to either tell you or break it off with Chorong."

"There shouldn't have been any options," Eunji shouts before bringing the bottle to her lips and swallowing several large mouthfuls. "She shouldn't have had a choice."

"I know," Hayoung agrees. "And for that, I take full responsibility. I should have made her tell you straightaway but for what it's worth, she didn't want to hurt you."

"Well you can tell her from me that she failed miserably."

"I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's not just some fling."

Eunji blinks quickly but it doesn't prevent the tears from falling. "I know that." Her voice breaks as she speaks. "It would be easier to deal with if it was."

"I'm here for you. Even if you don't want me to be, I am here for you."

"How long have you known?"

Hayoung sighs. "A while."

Eunji runs her fingers through her hair rapidly. "Everything was happening right under my nose and I didn't see it. What does that make me Hayoung?"

"It makes you somebody who loved their girlfriend, somebody who didn't think this wouldn't happen."

Eunji's bottom lip begins to quiver and Hayoung removes the bottle of champagne from her friend's hands and places it back on the table. "Okay, now I think you've had enough."

This time Eunji doesn't resist, instead a sob racks through her and she buries her head against Hayoung's chest. Hayoung holds her hand awkwardly above her friend's back before slowly wrapping them around Eunji.

Hayoung may not be good with emotional situations and Eunji may not want Hayoung to be here for her but right now, none of that matters.


 

She stands with her back to the bar watching with Naeun as Hayoung console Eunji. She tells Naeun she'll be right back before grabbing a plate of food from the table directly in front of her and walking towards the back of the house. After they had their photographs taken with their parents, both she and Hayoung witnessed Eunji slap Bomi and Namjoo's pretty confident that most of the wedding noticed it too.

If they didn't notice the slap, they definitely noticed the raised voices.

Hayoung had said she would deal with it and left Namjoo to entertain their parents and the remaining guests. As a result, she found herself answering their questions about what was happening with lies and more lies.

She didn't know what to say for the best.

She didn't know what to say at all.

What seemed like only seconds after the slap, she watched Eunji storm past her, grabbing a bottle of champagne from the bar and heading towards an empty table. Seconds after that, Hayoung had wrapped her hands around her waist and told her she loved her. Hayoung explained to her how Eunji had found out about Bomi and Chorong before stating she needed to talk to Eunji and make sure she was okay.

Hayoung had told her Bomi and Chorong were still at the back of the house but as Namjoo rounds the corner, she witnesses Bomi exit the house and walk in the opposite direction of where Namjoo is standing. Namjoo waits silently, expecting Chorong to follow the woman but after deciding that isn't going to happen, she walks inside the house and sighs lightly as she sees Chorong sitting at the table, her head buried in her hands.

"I brought you a piece of cake," Namjoo announces as she takes a couple of steps closer to Chorong.

Chorong raises her head at the voice. "I'm not really in the mood for cake Joo."

"I know." She places the plate on the table in front of her friend. "I knew you wouldn't want any but I needed something to say to you aside from the obvious."

Chorong smiles shyly. "You can say the obvious."

"Where's Bomi?"

"I don't know," she says honestly. "She said she needed to go for a walk," Chorong tells her. "Alone. I think she's freaking out."

"That's understandable," Namjoo replies, sitting down next to her friend. "How are you doing?"

Chorong ignores the question. "What if she's not ready for this?"

Namjoo tilts her head to the side in confusion. "Ready for what?"

"Us," Chorong explains. "What if she isn't ready for our situation to become a relationship? What if she was just enjoying the excitement and now that's gone, she's not as keen? What if by telling Eunji, I've pushed her away. I mean, what if she doesn't want me?"

"Of course she wants you Chorong," Namjoo reassures lightly. "Who wouldn't? You're a pretty amazing person."

"I'm not."

"Don't argue with me Chorong," Namjoo tells her firmly. "Bomi's ready, she just needs to wrap her head around everything. She has just lost her best friend."

"So have I," Chorong replies quickly. "Okay, we weren't as close as Eunji and Bomi but Eunji was always more than just my girlfriend. She was also one of my best friends and now, I've lost my girlfriend and best friend."

"I know." Namjoo curls some hair behind her ear. "In Gwangju, you and Bomi slept together didn't you? That's the line you were telling me about. The line you'd crossed and couldn't uncross."

"Yes."

"You were happy in Gwangju."

Chorong swallows hard. "I was happy because I'd cheated on my girlfriend, what kind of person does that make me Namjoo?"

Namjoo shakes her head. "You weren't happy you cheated on Eunji, you were happy because you'd slept with Bomi."

"The two aren't mutually exclusive."

Namjoo frowns. "Some people cheat because they like the excitement, the riskiness of everything. Those people, they don't deserve sympathy and they don't deserve to be in a relationship."

"I don't deserve sympathy," Chorong interjects quickly.

"I never say you did," Namjoo replies just as quickly. "You didn't cheat on Eunji for fun; you did it because you'd fallen for somebody else."

"I hadn't fallen for Bomi when I first met her. What was my excuse then?"

"You can't try and find an excuse for every mistake you make in life," Namjoo tells her. "The only thing you can do is move past them and carry on. You felt something for Bomi, from the moment you first met her. You couldn't stay away from her and she couldn't stay away from you. I know you're upset right now and probably hate yourself for what you've done but it wasn't for nothing."

"How do you know?"

"Because I've seen the way you and Bomi look at each other," Namjoo says simply. "You're meant to be."

"You believe in soul mates?"

"Of course." Namjoo grins. "So should you because I'm pretty confident Bomi is yours and you know I'm always right about these things."

"Even if that's true and Bomi and I are soul mates, we shouldn't have done what we did."

"You can't change the past Chorong, no matter how much you want to," Namjoo says softly. "What's done is done, there's no point saying you shouldn't have done what you did because you can't change what has already happened."

"Have you seen Eunji?" Chorong asks timidly and her friend nods at the question. "How is she?"

"She's upset," Namjoo replies honestly. "She was crying when I came to find you but Hayoung will look after her."

Chorong bobs her head slowly as the first tear falls down her cheek. "I've ruined everything."

Namjoo tuts lightly and wraps her arms around a shaking Chorong, pulling her closer. Chorong nestles her head against Namjoo's dress and a sob racks through her. "You haven't."

"I ruined my relationship, Bomi and Eunji's friendship and your wedding."

Namjoo Chorong's hair softly. "I'm married to the love of my life, that's all I wanted from today. You didn't ruin my wedding. Look on the bright side, people won't forget my wedding in a hurry."

She wishes she could reassure Chorong she hasn't ruined the other two things but she can't.

She'd be lying if she did.

"I am so sorry Namjoo."

"Stop apologising Chorong, everything will be okay."

"No, it won't."

The words are muffled against her chest but she manages to make them out.

"Do you know what the one good thing about mistakes is?" Namjoo asks, feeling Chorong shake her head against her. "You can rectify them. Maybe everything is ruined right now but that doesn't mean they have to stay that way. Life doesn't end because you make a mistake; it carries on and gives you a second chance."

"So what do I do?" She questions, pulling away from Namjoo, flinching as she notices the mascara left on the wedding dress.

Namjoo smiles softly. "You do whatever you can to make things right."