Chapter 3

Untouchable Face

She fingers the bracelet that she had discovered only a couple of hours ago hiding underneath her coffee table. She let the chain of the bracelet run through her fingers as she observed the charms that rested on it, a heart, a microphone, a cross and two stars, a silver one and a gold one.

The shining gold is in stark contrast to the tarnished silver of the entire bracelet.

It wasn't a piece of her jewellery and she gathers that it must be Lea's. The clasp of the bracelet is broken and as a result it must have fell off her wrist but neither girl noticed as they had been too focused on each other. It would have remained undetected too if Bomi hadn't decide, in a moment of what can only be described as sheer madness, to vacuum her apartment. Luckily the gleam of the silver hit her eye because she vacuumed it up. Setting the charm bracelet down carefully into a cloth, she wraps it up and places it in the drawer of her bedside table.

At least now there is a possibility of seeing Lea again, surely she'll come looking for the bracelet. It hadn't looked too expensive but she presumes that the randomness of the charms meant it was personal and if it was her, she'd want it back.

It has been five days since her encounter with the brunette and since then, she hasn't been able to rid her mind of Lea. No matter how hard she tries, somehow, her mind always returns to focus on Lea. She's resorted to doing mundane, trivial things in the hope that they will take her mind off the woman but even when she does; she'll think of something or find something that causes her to think of the brunette.

Like the charm bracelet.

Girls never have this much of an effect on her; normally one night is enough, at least for her. It's not uncommon for her to forget the names of her one-night stands by the time she is back in the comfort of her own apartment.

She knows that it makes her sound rather unappealing, her refusal to commit through no other reason than she doesn't want to, but it doesn't stop people from going home with her. If there is one thing Bomi prides herself on, it's that she never claims to be anything else. Everybody she has been with knew what they were getting into when they started talking to her and they had the chance to leave. As she told Lea, she doesn't ever claim to be a saint.

Most girls don't say anything about her behaviour; instead they bat their eyelashes at her and twirl their hair around their fingers in a manner that is either meant to be seductive or playful. Yet Lea confronted her straightway and that made her endearing in Bomi's eyes…made Bomi want her even more.

Standing from her bed, she observes her costume in the mirror with a smirk. Considering Hayoung and Namjoo had only just decided yesterday to throw an impromptu Halloween party, she's rather impressed with her costume. Most good costumes had disappeared from the shelves in all the costume shops she had visited, although that wasn't surprising considering it was only a day to Halloween. Nevertheless, Bomi had found a costume buried in the back of her wardrobe from a couple of years ago when she attended Eunji's 21st birthday party.

The theme had been cops and robbers and Bomi had decided to dress as the former.

She's amazed that the costume still fits her but she has to admit that a sensation of pride washed over her when she realised it did.

She tugs a little at her tight fitting mini dress before wrapping the PVC belt around her and attaching her handcuffs to it. She places her cop hat on properly before adjusting it so it rests on her head on a slight angle and smiles at her reflection.


 

"Didn't anybody tell you you're supposed to wear a costume?" Hayoung opens the door wider, allowing Bomi to walk into her and Namjoo's apartment. Her eyes rake over the blonde's choice of costume and she shakes her head, a small smile playing on her lips.

"What are you talking about Hayoung-ah?" Bomi replies, taking the time to observe the tall blonde girl choice of costume.

A red dress combined with red devil horns and if Bomi's not mistaken, a devil's tail.

How very apt.

"I'll let you off on the cop part but you couldn't have just come as a normal cop, you had to go with ty cop and that is something you don't need a costume for."

Hayoung closes the door behind the blonde.

Bomi pats her outfit down. "I'm not a ty cop. I'm a naughty cop, there's a difference." She hears Hayoung scoff at her. "Anyway, if I remember correctly you weren't exactly an innocent a couple of years ago yourself." Bomi throws herself onto the couch with a smirk. "Just because you're in a happy committed relationship doesn't change the fact that you used to be worse than me when it came to sleeping around."

"That was different; I didn't want to deal with being gay, you just do it for fun," Hayoung attempts to defend her actions but she knows that her friend is correct. Before she met Namjoo, relationships were not her forte.

"I don't want to be in a relationship Youngie, that's my excuse."

"You need somebody though, seriously Bomi, you're getting old now, all your friends are going to start getting married and having kids and you're going to be the person who embarrasses everybody at family get-togethers."

"I'm 24," Bomi deadpans.

Chances are she'll turn more like her mom when she's older and her mom isn't embarrassing, is she? Scrunching up her nose in thought, she replays some of her mom's best bits, like how she gave her 'the birds and the bees' talk through creative diagrams she had prepared earlier, how she always asked Hayoung whenever she spent the night if they had decided to become a couple yet or how she would sing along to the radio whilst cooking and be completely out of tune.

Yeah, on second thoughts, her mom is embarrassing.

Still she shakes off Hayoung's comment and lifts her hat off, running her fingers through her hair absentmindedly. "Anyway, it's only you and Namjoo getting married and you've been engaged for a year and a half so who knows when you'll actually make if official. Nobody we know is having children yet so I think I have time to find somebody, if I wanted to. You know, ever since you proposed to Namjoo, you've become all romantic and soppy. Where's the old Hayoung? The less whipped one? The one I know and love."

"Right here Lie!" Hayoung smacks her on the head as she walks past her towards the kitchen.

"There she is," Bomi says proudly. "I knew you were in there somewhere."

Silence falls between the two women as Hayoung starts pouring a plentiful amount of alcohol into a mix. Bomi had been ordered, mostly by Namjoo, to arrive earlier than everybody else so that they would be guaranteed at least one person at the party and also so the person, who arrived earliest after Bomi, wouldn't feel as bad if there was another guest already there.

Since she didn't really have anything else to do, she agreed to be the first guest and now she’s siting casually on the couch surveying the apartment. It has been transformed into a Halloween spectacular and she assumes that is due to Namjoo's enthusiasm when it comes to both parties and Halloween. A bowl of candy sits on the table beside the front door in case any trick-or-treaters knock and when she casts a glance to the right, she sees Hayoung laying out food on their kitchen counters. Cobwebs hang across doors and dangle from the ceiling, there are bloody footprints on the floorboards, plastic spiders littered around the apartment and a very happy looking pumpkin sits in the centre of their dining room table.

"You got enough alcohol in that Hayoung-ah?"

Hayoung stops her ministrations to look at her friend. "If I'm going to make it through this party and be nice to all the little trick-or-treaters, I'm going to need liquor."

"I must say, I did find it a little strange when you said you were hosting a Halloween party. You're not usually the hostess more the party crasher."

Bomi stands and heads over towards her friend, perching on one of the kitchen stools and grazing at the snacks Hayoung has put out.

Hayoung shrugs her shoulder and pours some juice in the mix to counteract the alcohol. "Namjoo wanted to have a party, she said we never have people over and it would be nice to have a celebration with all our friends."

"And as always, you bowed down to her command," Bomi teases, knowing how riled up Hayoung gets when she suggests that she is whipped, even though the tall girl knows it's the truth. She doesn't like it when her bad-girl, doesn't care about anybody, persona slips.

Before Hayoung can launch into a tirade and lie about how she doesn't answer Namjoo's every beck and call, the said redhead appears from the bedroom, dressed in an angel outfit.

She bounces over to Bomi and gives her a hug. "I like your outfit Bomi-ah, Hayoung wanted to dress as a cop but I wanted our costumes to be similar and I didn't really want to come as a prisoner so I suggested Angel and Devil and Youngie agreed, didn't you babe?"

Hayoung gives a small grunt in response. "Next year, we're doing the cop and prisoner thing though."

Namjoo bobs her head up and down in agreement. "That's only fair."

Before Hayoung can say anything else, Namjoo bounds towards the door as somebody knocks, knowing that it's too early for party guests so it must be trick-or-treaters. Bomi hears Namjoo greeting the children and stating how scary they all look.

"Who knows, maybe it will be you two that have children first too," Bomi states quietly, grabbing of handful of potato chips from the bowl.

"Okay, we are definitely not there yet." Hayoung pours a little bit of the mix into a cup and hands it to Bomi. "Does that need more alcohol or juice?"

Bomi takes the offered cup and takes a sip of the drink, feeling the need to spit it right back up again. She splutters once her mouthful has been swallowed and grimaces. "That needs a lot more juice Lie, it's disgusting."

Hayoung furrows her eyebrows and takes a sip of it herself, mimicking Bomi's previous face when the liquid hits the back of . "I think that's rather nice," she whispers before grabbing a carton of juice and pouring it all in. She gives the mixture a stir before pouring some in a cup once more.

"Is that any better?"


 

As soon as she steps foot into the apartment, she's bombarded and arms wrap around her, lifting her off her feet and spinning her around. Laughter surrounds her before her girlfriend greets her own friend. When her feet are planted back on the ground, she gives Namjoo a bright smile.

"Rong! I'm glad you came, I wasn't sure whether you would or not," Namjoo says quickly before giving Eunji a firm hug. "This is Hayoung."

Chorong looks to Namjoo's right to see a tall blonde staring at her and she is unable to make out whether it is supposed to be intimidating, whether Hayoung is sizing her up or whether that's just the way she looks at everybody. Still, she had always been one to take control of situations and outstretches her right hand towards the blonde.

"Nice to meet you Hayoung-sshi," she says confidently. "Namjoo's talked a lot about you; it's nice to finally put a face to the name."

Hayoung sends a shy smile towards her fiancée and begrudgingly shakes Chorong's hand. "Nice to meet you to I guess."

"Hayoung, be nice." Namjoo bumps her hip against Hayoung's as she scolds her quietly. "Sorry, she's boarding on becoming drunk."

"I've only had two," Hayoung protests.

"Yeah two of your own concoction," Namjoo replies lightly. "You shouldn't be allowed to make drinks, they're always lethal."

Hayoung frowns at her fiancée but when she receives a brief peck on the lips, her frown disappears and she turns her attention back to Eunji's girlfriend. "You're all this one has been talking about," she mentions, casually taking a sip of her drink, gesturing with her head towards Eunji, who scuffs her feet nervously as three pairs of eyes fall on her. "Chorong this and Chorong that, you've got a lot to live up to. I swear she's been talking about you so much –"

"Is Bbom-ah here yet?" Eunji asks, promptly putting an end to Hayoung's statement. Hayoung glares at her but Eunji merely smiles and removes the coat from her shoulders, hanging it up beside the door, taking Chorong's coat and doing the same.

"Yeah, she was here first," Namjoo replies. "She helped us set up, she'll be around somewhere. If you see a ty cop then that's her."

"Naughty cop," Hayoung corrects quietly.

Eunji bobs her head, wanting to get the introduction between her girlfriend and her best friend over and done with. She's surprisingly nervous about it, Chorong is the first girl in a while that she's been in love with and when they're together, it just feels right. Yet somewhere deep within her, there is a need for Bomi's approval.

Especially this time.

"Do you want a drink babe?" She asks Chorong quietly. The brunette bobs her head slowly and murmurs a quiet please. "So Hayoung-ah, what concoctions have you designed for tonight's festivities?"

"Hayoung's Screaming Screwballs," Hayoung says proudly. "I fancied some alliteration."

Eunji gives her girlfriend's hand a squeeze. "And what exactly is in that?"

"That would be telling now wouldn't it?"

"She's pretty much emptied the contents of our liquor cabinet and added a bit of juice," Namjoo explains, taking a sip of her own drink and scrunching her face up in disgust. "It's absolutely horrible but it does its job. A couple of these and you won't be able to see straight."

"I guess I'll have one of them," Eunji says, releasing Chorong's hand. "Do you just want a juice?" Again the brunette bobs her head. Eunji pecks Chorong's lips quickly. "Be back in a minute."


 

The music isn't exactly her taste but she finds herself dancing amongst several other people who she doesn't recognise. Her girlfriend returned with her drink about half an hour ago before Hayoung dragged her away to referee an argument between her and somebody they worked with. At least, that's Chorong's understanding.

Considering she didn't even really want to come to this party, she's not having a miserable time. She's actually quite enjoying it. She's spent the last five days wallowing in self-pity and guilt, staring at Eunji with remorse-ridden eyes and trying desperately to act like everything is normal between them.

For the first time since she cheated, her mind is switched off; she's not thinking about what she's done, she's just focusing on being with her girlfriend and having a good time.

Her night with Bomi was just a mistake, a moment of weakness.

It's not going to happen again therefore there's no need for Eunji to find out about it.

Namjoo had literally run into her this morning and invited her to an impromptu Halloween party that she and her fiancée were having that night. She's known Namjoo since high school and they had always maintained a strange friendship. Namjoo had been popular whilst she had been the complete opposite, only had a select friends but she highly doubts that anybody in her school didn't become friends with Namjoo during the four years. The bubbly redhead has a certain persona about her, kindness and happiness radiate from her and it's impossible not to like her. She had already been told about the party however, as in a strange coincidence, Eunji knows Hayoung from high school.

She finds it ironic how they both know people from different high schools who have inevitably ended up as a couple.

She can't help but wonder, had she and Eunji not already met, would they have eventually met through Namjoo and Hayoung and started a relationship?

Maybe they were always supposed to meet.

Then again, she doesn't really believe in fate.

"I'm arresting you for trespassing in my dreams."

She freezes at the familiar voice and stops dancing. She spins around on the spots, quirking her eyebrow at Bomi. "Come again?"

"I figured that after the other night, you preferred chat-up lines rather than any of my normal lines and I've learnt my lesson so I'm not going to try and ask you if you want another drink this time," Bomi declares, gesturing her head towards the cup in the brunette's hand. "Since I'm dressed as a cop, I thought that chat-up line was rather apt."

"It was cheesy."

"They all are." Bomi pushes past the person dancing beside the brunette and takes his place. "Loving the naughty schoolgirl costume by the way," she points out, ensuring that her eyes rake appreciatively over the brunette's body. "Who'd have thought that underneath those jeans, you were hiding those legs? If I was you, I'd always have them on show."

"I'm not a naughty schoolgirl, I'm just a schoolgirl.”

The blonde chuckles and takes a sip of her drink. The alcohol in it is certainly starting to have an effect on her, the extra juice that Hayoung added didn't really make too much difference but at least now you can drink it without the sensation of burning filling the back of your throat.

"Have you ever heard of serendipity?"

Chorong shakes her head, whilst glancing over her shoulders frantically for her girlfriend.

"It means a happy accident, finding something good but without searching for it," Bomi explains. "I think both of us being at the party is rather serendipitous."

"Well I know Namjoo and it's evident that you must know somebody at this party, unless you're a party-crasher, therefore I wouldn't say it was an accident."

"So are you suggesting it was fate?" Bomi suggests with a smirk but the brunette doesn't reply, instead she glances over her shoulder again nervously. "Looking for somebody?"

Chorong brings her gaze back to the blonde and swallows nervously at the sight of Bomi clad in a rather revealing, very tight fitting dress. The words 'my girlfriend' become stuck in and she's unable to voice them. Instead she shakes her head meekly and takes a sip of her drink.

Bomi clears awkwardly, deciding whether or not she should broach the subject of what happened between them the other night. It's pretty obvious to her that the brunette is trying to pretend that nothing happened between them. That is apparent from the fact that she hasn't looked her in the eyes once. Still, she wants to know why she woke up alone the other day. "You left pretty sharpish the other morning. I'm not used to women leaving before I even wake up. That was certainly a first."

"Well I'm sure you've done it to enough people," Chorong states quietly under her breath but Bomi hears.

"Yeah, I guess I have." Bomi drums her fingers against the side of her cup nervously. "Were you giving me a taste of my own medicine?"

"Not all of my actions are because of you," Chorong says. "You really need to get that ego looked at."

"I quite like my ego the way it is thank you." Bomi waits for the other woman to say something but she remains quiet. "So why did you leave then?"

"I didn't want to stay," the brunette states simply, running her fingers through her hair. "For somebody who specialises in one-night stands, you seem awfully keen to know the logistics of why people leave. I find the key to understanding is the word one night, it's not a one-night stand with breakfast and morning cuddles involved."

The harshness in her words is obvious but she can't really understand why she feels the need to be harsh to the blonde. Bomi wasn't to know that she had a girlfriend, that she has been feeling guilty practically every second of every day. She may have ulterior motives, but on the surface, Bomi is just trying to be nice and Chorong is throwing it back in her face.

"I wasn't implying that I wanted breakfast and morning cuddles."

"Then what were you implying?"

"Nothing," Bomi whispers. "I just...I wanted to know why you left, that's not a crime is it?"

"I've already told you that."

"I didn't want to stay isn't a proper answer."

Chorong laughs cruelly. "What's your reason for leaving all your one-night stands?"

Bomi blanches at the sudden question. "We're not talking about me."

"No, because you have double standards. It's okay for you to disappear in the early hours of the morning but when someone does it to you, it's not okay," Chorong says." Admit it; it bruised that huge ego of yours."

"You know for somebody who wanted me, you seem to regret it quite a lot," Bomi spits. "What? Did I not live up to expectations?"

"Not everything is about you Bomi!" She shouts the words and is grateful that the music is loud enough to block their argument out. Still she finds herself lowering her voice for the next statement. "What happened between us was a mistake. There, I said it, are you happy now?"

"What's their name?"

Chorong stills at the question, a sudden chill runs through her at the intense stare Bomi is sending her way. It's like Bomi is looking right through her, like she can see what Chorong is thinking. "Who?"

"The person you keep looking for, the person you don't want to make an appearance right now, the person I'm guessing you're in a relationship with."

"And let me guess, it doesn't bother you in the slightest does it?"

Bomi exhales softly but speaks firmly. "Like I said, the partner is your problem, not mine."

Chorong shakes her head and finishes her drink before placing it on the nearest coffee table. "You know, one day, the partner is going to be your problem too." Bomi furrows her eyebrows at her as the brunette turns and walks towards the kitchen, leaving her standing amidst several people from her work, dancing drunkenly, oblivious to the conversation that had just taken place before them.

Oblivious to the sudden disappointment that flows through Bomi at the realisation that the brunette is in a relationship.


 

She stands alone on the balcony, arms resting on top of the railing as the cool air brushes past her. She glances briefly at her watch, frowning at her right wrist, where her charm bracelet used to rest. She's not really sure what happened to it but she knows that when she returned home after her night with Bomi, it no longer rested on her wrist. Somewhere between leaving the bar and leaving Bomi's apartment she must have lost it and Murphy's Law would suggest that she left it at Bomi's apartment, ensuring they had another conversation.

She breathes in the fresh air and enjoys the silence that overcomes her. The music and drunken chatter may have been overpowering in the apartment but the sudden appearance of Bomi had thrown her and she needed some quiet.

The knowledge that her one-night stand and her girlfriend were in the same apartment worried her immensely, she feels tense and anxious just thinking about the possibility that they could bump into each other. Two people who she never wanted to meet each other, yet here they are, both at the same party.

What if they bump into one another and start talking?

What if they already know each other?

The constant flow of questions run through her mind as she drums her fingers against the railings.

"Don't do it."

She freezes as Bomi's voice fills her ears once more. In the silence, she can hear the huskiness Bomi's voice possesses and Chorong closes her eyes at the sound, unintentionally tugging her bottom lip between her teeth. She keeps her gaze fixated on the apartment block opposite her, unable to turn around. The sound of the screen door closing causes her to stiffen momentarily before a body comes to rest beside her and she finds herself relaxing.

"I know it's not the best party in the world but it's not bad enough to make you want to jump is it?" Bomi jokes, attempting to cut the deafening silence that has fallen between them.

Chorong continues staring ahead and doesn't show any sign that she heard Bomi. An involuntary shiver runs through her and she wishes she's chosen a more weather suitable outfit. She's too busy watching a light turn on in one of the apartments across the street that she doesn't notice Bomi shrug off her jacket and place it over her shoulders.

She jumps at the sudden contact and Bomi takes a step back, sending a soft smile her way. "You looked cold."

For the first time, Chorong allows herself to smile at the blonde and pulls the coat closer together, giving her some extra warmth. "Thank you."

Bomi shrugs the gratitude off and waves a cigarette in her direction. "Do you mind?"

"Smoking is a disgusting habit you know?"

"So is that a yes? You mind if I smoke." Bomi nods and places the cigarette and lighter back in her bag.

"It doesn't matter to me what you do."

Bomi rests her forearms against the railings and glances up to the night sky. "I'm surprised you can see this many stars, normally with the clouds and the street lights it's hard to see them but tonight they're rather clear."

"Are you just going to pretend that I didn't just admit to having a girlfriend?"

"Technically you never admitted to having a girlfriend, you just walked away. Now you have though," Bomi replies. "Why didn't you just tell me straightaway?"

"It doesn't bother you."

"No, but it bothers you," Bomi tells her. "Do you want to know what does bother me? I told you that I didn't want you to do something you'd regret but evidently you do."

"You're right, I should never have gone back to your apartment the other night and I certainly should not have engaged in ual with you."

Bomi frowns and gives the brunette a soft smile. "ual ?"

"It shouldn't have happened, I love my girlfriend, okay?"

Bomi doesn't get the chance to answer however, as the screen door slides open behind them. Bomi turns around and gives Eunji a small smile as the auburn-haired woman steps out to join them on the balcony.

"Hayoung finally released you from referee duties," Bomi jokes.

"Eventually," Eunji replies, sending a wide smile in Chorong's direction.

Chorong returns the smile but her heartbeat quickens at the awareness that her girlfriend knows Bomi. A fresh wave of guilt hits her and it's lucky that Eunji decides to wrap her arm around her waist because if she hadn't supported her, Chorong's pretty sure her knees would have buckled.

"You two have met without me even needing to do the introductions. Must be fate."

Bomi stares at her best friend's arm around the brunette's waist and a wave of nausea hits her. She swallows anxiously and brings her gaze back to Eunji. "You two know each other." The words come out in a hurried whisper and she needn't have asked the question because she has a feeling that she knows what Eunji's answer will be before she says it.

Even though the brunette had introduced herself to Bomi as Lea, the blonde is fully expecting to be introduced to her again, only this time by a different name.

It's the way Eunji's fingers are gently ticking the brunette's side, the way the pair seem to fit together and the look of sheer adoration spreading across Eunji's face.

She notes however, that the brunette doesn't look completely at ease and is desperately trying to avoid Bomi's gaze.

"Bomi, this is Chorong, my girlfriend. Chorong, this is Bomi, my best friend."

It might be the copious amount of alcohol that is coursing through her body or it might be the realisation that she had slept with her best friend's girlfriend, but whatever it is, Bomi leans over the balcony and throws up.