Chapter 25

Untouchable Face

"So, what do you think?" She asks as she opens the small velvet box for her friend to look at. "Do you think she'll like it?"

"She'll love it Youngie."

Hayoung sighs with relief and snaps the box closed as her friend reaches for the ring. "I am not letting that ring out of the box so hands to yourself."

"You know, I think you've watched a little too much Lord of the Rings."

Hayoung chuckles dryly. "I can't believe I'm actually proposing to her."

"I can't believe it's taken you this long to actually propose."

The tall woman scowls at her friend. "I wanted to make sure she was the one, I didn't want to propose to her only for us to break up a couple of months down the line. I only plan to propose once so I needed to make sure she was the right person."

"Aside from telling me that she was incredibly y and had legs that went on forever, I'm pretty sure the first actual thing you said to me about Namjoo, once you'd stopped drooling, was that she was the one for you. Your soul mate."

"I know," Hayoung says quietly. "But I always figured she'd realise that she could do better than me and move on. I never actually expected her to stay with me."

"Why wouldn't she?" Her friend questions lightly. "You're amazing Hayoung and pretty gorgeous as well. Not that I look at you in that way," she adds as an afterthought.

"Oh please, there's no need to pretend that you don't sneak the odd peak at me every now and again, like you said, I'm gorgeous," Hayoung boasts lightly with a wink. "Nobody would blame you."

"I had no idea how incredibly modest you are."

The corner of Hayoung's mouth curls upwards. "What about you?"

"What about me?"

Hayoung places the velvet box back into her pocket for safe-keeping. "Do you ever think you'll get down on one knee for somebody?"

Her friend scoffs before shaking her head. "I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future."

"You know, I've always wondered who your ideal girl would be," Hayoung states and her friend merely her head to the side, exhibiting clear distain at that statement. "Oh come on, humour me, who would it be?"

"I don't know," her friend says as she shrugs her shoulders. "I guess I don't really have a type, appearance wise anyway –"

"I never would have guessed," Hayoung drones sarcastically.

"But," her friend starts once more. "She'd have to be different."

"Different?"

"Yeah," she explains. "Something about her would need to be different. She'd need to be special enough to make me pay attention to her. I guess I want somebody that I couldn't stay away from. You know better than anybody that I love the chase but I want somebody that I don't chase for the fun of it but because I can't walk away from them. I haven't met many girls like that so far in Seoul though; they're all pretty much the same."

"And if you find that person –"

"If I find that person," Bomi replies, still humouring Hayoung because she really doesn't see that happening anytime soon, somebody that special wouldn't date her. "Then you'll get your proposal."


 

She massages her temples in the hope that she'll rid herself of the headache she is enduring, not that she can really complain too much. The amount she drank last night, she's amazed a headache is the only thing she is suffering from today. Her memory is mostly intact from last night, albeit some parts are fuzzy but she does remember heading to a lap-dancing club, Hayoung's suggestion obviously. Both Hayoung and Namjoo decided that they wouldn't have a stripper on their individual bachelorette nights; but they thought that rule could be changed since they were having a joint bachelorette party. As a result, Hayoung suggesting heading to a lap-dancing club because they could have fun but still keep an eye on each other.

Although they weren't the only ones keeping an eye on each other, Bomi felt Chorong's eyes constantly on her, especially when a dancer approached her.

Bomi has to admit, she still finds Chorong's jealousy endearing.

She's not used to having somebody be jealous over her.

One more thing she can remember about last night is spending most of it with Chorong. After the brunette approached her in the hotel bar, Chorong had attempted to catch up with Bomi in terms of drinking but after only two more, she had felt sick and decided to stick to soft drinks for the remainder of the night. Bomi didn't mind though, drunk or sober, Chorong is still adorable.

Bomi rests against the headboard of her bed and turns on the television. She flips through the movies the hotel offers before settling on The Girl Next Door. She presses play of the remote before hitting pause immediately when she hears a knock on her door. Standing from the bed, she walks towards the door and opens it.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?"

"Can I come in?"

Bomi nods before stepping aside and allowing Chorong to enter her hotel room.

"I'm not interrupting anything am I?"

"No, nothing important anyway," Bomi replies slowly as she closes the door. "I was just about to watch The Girl Next Door. I'm in Gwangju and all I want to do is relax with a movie. "

"I'm surprised you're awake after last night, you can certainly drink."

Bomi grimaces at the memory of liquor. "Yeah, for my sins."

"What about tonight?" Chorong questions. "Am I going to be lucky enough to receive another special dance from you?"

Bomi pales at that question. "What?"

"You don't remember?" Chorong asks with a hint of surprise. "After the lap-dancing club, we came back to the hotel and returned to Namjoo's room for, as you called it, more dancing fuel. It was there you decided that even though the lap-dancers were good, you were better than all of the ones we had just seen so you started dancing and I was the lucky recipient of your ."

"Please tell me you're joking?"

Chorong shakes her head and sends Bomi a soft smile. "If it's any consolation, you're a pretty good dancer."

She wants to ask whether Chorong enjoyed it but she can't bring herself to say the words. Instead she closes her eyes, sufficiently mortified at Chorong's admission. She cannot believe that she gave her best friend's girlfriend a in front of her friends and two of Chorong's friends that Bomi hardly knows.

"I am so sorry."

"I enjoyed it," she admits quickly and Bomi's eyes snap open. She didn't need to ask the question anyway, Chorong's given her the answer she wanted. "Not nearly as much as Hayoung enjoyed the Namjoo gave her though. I'm pretty sure she was drooling at one point. I don't want to be cruel but Namjoo wiped the floor with you actually."

"She's a professional dancer. It's hardly a fair comparison," Bomi utters, even though she doesn't know why she feels the need to defend herself. Of course, Namjoo would be better than her.

"I'd choose you over her any day though," Chorong whispers as she brushes past Bomi and heads towards the bed.

The blonde swallows hard, if she was anyone but Chorong, she'd presume they were flirting with her. She's not used to Chorong being so….forward. Not that she's complaining.

It just makes it harder for her to try and act like a better person than normal because with anybody else, she'd flirt back but she doesn't want to complicate this situation any more than it has already been complicated.

Besides, she can't flirt with Chorong and make herself stop at flirting.

Chorong was right when she said that the lines between flirting and crossing the line were blurred for Bomi.

She curls some hair behind her ear before speaking. "Thank you, I guess."

"You're welcome."

She bobs her head slowly. "So, did I do anything else embarrassing last night that you want to remind me of?"

Chorong tilts her head to the side in thought, her answer would depend on Bomi's definition of embarrassing but deciding to calm the other woman's nerves, she shakes her head even though the memory of last night washes over her.


 

"I think you should put your dress back on Bbom-ah," Chorong whispers softly as she attempts to hand the blonde her dress, ensuring her eyes stay on Bomi's rather than wandering over the other woman's body.

Although the sight of Bomi, clad only in her underwear is a very tempting sight.

"I don't want to."

"You're incredibly stubborn."

"Why do you want me to get dressed?" Bomi slurs, trailing her finger down Chorong's cheek. "Don't you like what you see?"

Sighing, she allows her eyes to momentarily rake over Bomi's toned thighs to her toned stomach, subconsciously her lips at the sight.

"I'm not blind Bomi so of course I like what I see. I defy anybody to tell you that they don't," she confesses because there's a high probability that Bomi won't remember any of this in the morning.

Bomi beams before standing and stumbling towards the corner of the room to join Namjoo, who is currently waving her own top above her head.

"Bomi."

"Good luck getting her dressed Chorong," Hayoung announces from across the room. "Bomi has a tendency to strip when she's been drinking. On her 21st birthday, she bared all to me."

Chorong whips her head towards the other woman at that declaration. "She did what?"

Hayoung doesn't answer; instead she casts a glance in Bomi's direction to find her fiancée currently stripping beside Bomi. "Bomi's like Namjoo, they're stripper drunks."

"I wasn't aware that people could be sorted into categories to what type of drunk they were."

"Of course they can," Hayoung states as she falls to the ground beside Chorong, throwing an arm around Chorong's shoulders. "Yookyung and Seungyeon over there are happy drunks," she explains, pointing to the two bridesmaids who are giggling incandescently in front of Namjoo and Bomi. "Then there's me, the amazing drunk.”

"Now Hayoung-ah, be truthful. I'm pretty sure you're a weepy-hysterical drunk," Naeun claims as she collapses on the bed that the two women currently have their backs against. "At least, that's what I've heard."

"That's a lie," Hayoung spits before her eyes fill with tears. "Who told you that? Namjoo said that didn't she?"

Chorong's eyes widen at Hayoung's drastic change in personality but Naeun merely smirks. "No, you're right Hayoung; you're not a weepy-hysterical drunk. My mistake." She turns her attention away from the now crying girl towards Chorong. "You're a jealous drunk."

"I am not," Chorong hisses before tilting her head in curiosity. "What kind of drunk are you then?"

"I'm the friendly drunk," Naeun replies with a smile. "Although, if we're being completely truthful, my libido always shoots up when I've been drinking," she adds, purposely raking her eyes over Bomi as the blonde continues to dance with Namjoo.

Chorong follows Naeun's gaze and finds herself scowling. Bomi has told her there is no need to be jealous but when Naeun leers at Bomi like that, Chorong can't help but think that Bomi is simply being naïve. "It's a good job we're in Gwangju then, you can have your pick of any of those women in the bar downstairs."

Naeun throws her head back in joyous laugher. "And here I thought you weren't a jealous drunk."

"I'm not drunk."

"So you're just jealous permanently then?" Chorong bites her tongue to prevent herself from saying anything else because she knows Naeun will probably revel in anything she says. Naeun places a sloppy kiss against her cheek before whispering into her ear. "Don't worry, Bomi's all yours."

Chorong's about to scold Naeun but the tall woman dashes towards the bathroom before she has a chance and before she knows what is happening, Bomi drops to the ground beside her while Namjoo falls into Hayoung's lap. "Did you enjoy the show?"

"Was that for my benefit?"

Bomi shrugs her shoulders. "I like to think that everybody benefited."

Chorong can't help but smile at the drunken girl and she attempts to hand the blonde the dress that she's been holding since Bomi threw it at her during her . "Now you've got the dancing out of your system, can you put your dress back on now please?"

"Or," Bomi starts before tugging at Chorong's dress. "You could take yours off."

Chorong flushes and pushes Bomi's hand away reluctantly. "You're incredibly brazen when you're intoxicated, do you know that?"

Bomi rubs her nose against Chorong's before pecking it. "You love it."


 

The sound of Bomi clearing causes Chorong to shake the memories of last night off. "I've never seen The Girl Next Door?"

"You've never seen it?" Bomi states. "What is wrong with you?"

"I prefer romantic movies."

"I can't say it's my favourite movie but it's the only decent one that's available to watch at the moment and it is a movie I can watch again and again," Bomi explains as she grabs the remote. "It has a tendency to be a tad crude at parts so it may not be your cup of tea."

Chorong scoffs. "I'm not a prude."

"I never said you were," Bomi defends. "I'm just saying, you refer to as ual and I remember you saying that other words were too crass for your liking so, The Girl Next Door might not be to your taste. That's all."

"I never said I wanted to watch it."

Bomi chuckles. "You might like it."

Chorong shakes her head lightly because this isn't why she came to Bomi's room. "I didn't come here to watch a movie with you Bomi-ah; I was hoping we could have that talk."

Bomi rubs the back of her neck nervously before dropping the remote onto the bed. "What do you want to talk about?"

Chorong takes a seat on the bed. "Where's Hayoung?"

"She and Namjoo have gone sightseeing," Bomi explains. "Namjoo said this morning that she wanted to do one of those bus tour things and obviously Hayoung can't say no to her so she's probably being dragged around Gwangju as we speak."

"I don't think anybody can say no to Namjoo."

"No, I guess not. I've never been able to say no to her; even if it's something I don't really want to do. Hayoung would do anything for that girl though, even if it's something as small as seeing the sights. Because that's the thing, it may be small to everybody else but to Namjoo, it's anything but. If it means something to Namjoo, it means something to Hayoung since Namjoo means everything to her.

"You should put that in your speech."

"Sorry?"

"You're Hayoung's maid of honour right?" Chorong questions lightly. "I'm presuming you're giving a speech."

Bomi nods before resting against the dresser and looking at Chorong. She would prefer to return to her previous position on the bed but being that close to Chorong on that precise piece of furniture might just be too tempting for her to handle.

"Do you want to know a secret?" Chorong bobs her head at the question. "I'm absolutely terrified of giving it."

Chorong tilts her head to the side. "You're scared? You seem like one of the most confident people I've ever met. You can't possibly be scared."

"I'm confident with people I know or just one-on-one but I've never been one for public speaking. The thought of standing in front of a crowd and speaking is a terrifying concept. What if I mess it up and ruin the wedding?"

"You won't ruin the wedding."

"You haven't witnessed my lack of talent for public speaking."

The brunette stands from the bed and heads over to Bomi, resting against the dresser next to her. "Why don't you practice the speech on me?"

"I can't."

Chorong nudges Bomi lightly. "Go on, I promise I won't laugh," she tells her. "Unless of course, it's supposed to be funny, then I'm sure I will laugh," she adds as an afterthought.

"I can't practice it on you because I haven't started writing it yet," Bomi explains. "I don't know what to say. I'm not sure if you've realised this but I'm not exactly very good at romantic feelings and being all lovey-dovey and mushy."

"I think you're better than you know."

"I'm not," Bomi admits. "I wasn't even very good at showing my feelings towards Sohee and I was in love with her."

"You don't talk about her a lot."

Bomi shrugs. "Not much to tell."

"Can I ask you something about her?"

She's silent for several seconds because she doesn't know whether she wants this to be the direction their conversation heads in but despite her worries, she finds herself agreeing. "Go on."

Chorong tilts her head to the side. "Why did you break up?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"I'm just curious."

Bomi runs her fingers through her hair raggedly. "I'm surprised Eunji hasn't told you, I'm sure she will if you ask."

This time it's Chorong who falls silent. "She said you told her it was mutual."

Bomi chuckles dryly. "If Eunji's told you that it was mutual, why ask me?"

Chorong shrugs. "Because I don't think it's what really happened."

Bomi furrows her eyebrows before swallowing hard. "What else has Eunji told you about me?"

"We don't talk about you all the time."

Bomi rubs her forehead. "Fair enough but I don't think you wanted to talk to me about Sohee."

Chorong sighs because evidently, Bomi isn't going to answer her question. Although, Bomi is right, that isn't what she wanted to talk about. "Eunji and I are on a break."

"What?"

Chorong sits back down on the bed and wrings her fingers nervously. "Before she went on that school trip, she suggested we take a break. Give ourselves some time and space to think about our relationship and then we'll see what happens when she comes back," Chorong explains as her tongue darts out to her lips. "She's done nothing wrong, yet she's the one that is taking control. She's the one who decided we should take a break. I should have made that decision. I should have broken up with her. Not just then but weeks ago, when I first realised that my feelings for you weren't just a crush, I should have ended things with her. Now it's just one big intricate mess and I am going to hurt her."

"Why didn't you break up with her then?"

"Because I was scared," Chorong shouts before shaking her head, "I am scared. You know, when my mom died, I didn't want to talk to anybody. I shut everybody out, Eunji, my dad, my friends. I expected her to stop trying but she never did, she just waited. She would sit with me even when I told her to go away, she would hold me while I cried even though I fought her and she waited until I was ready to talk. Not once did she push me. I don't know how I'd have coped without her and it terrifies me to know that I'm going to lose her. She's not just a girlfriend Bomi; she's one of my best friends. If we broke up, she'd hate me."

"She'll hate me too Chorong."

"I know," Chorong says before burying her head in her hands. "I thought Eunji was my soul mate, I thought she was the one when we first started dating and then -"

"Then what?"

"Then I met you," Chorong breathes out.

The corner of curls upwards slightly before she collects herself. "What are you going to do then?"

"I need to break up with her," Chorong whispers, quiet enough that Bomi has to strain her ears to hear. "I should have done it a long time ago; I told myself that I couldn't break up with her for you unless I knew whether something would even happen between you and I but that logic is twisted. I was just prolonging the inevitable pain. I shouldn't keep her as a second-choice, I love her but not in the same way I used to and I can't keep leading her on. It's not fair. I have spent the last five and a half months lying to her; she deserves the truth. She's deserved the truth from the very beginning. I should have told her that I'd slept with somebody else even before I knew it was you. I've just been a coward."

Bomi releases a breath she didn't even realise she'd been holding before walking over towards the bed and sitting beside Chorong. "I could tell her."

"What?"

"I'm her best friend; I should tell her that I have feelings for her girlfriend."

Chorong shakes her head. "I'm her girlfriend Bomi; I'm the person that's destroyed this relationship. I pursued you; I made all the first moves, it's my fault we're in this predicament."

"If you hadn't made the first move," Bomi states, placing her hand on Chorong's knee. "I would have."

Chorong half-smiles before furrowing her brow in thought and replays Bomi's last couple of sentences over and over again in her head. "You have feelings for me," she breathes out. It's the first time Bomi has actually confessed that to her, she's not hearing it second-hand this time.

She's hearing it straight from Bomi and it sounds so much better than when she's overheard it.

"I think you know that," Bomi replies with a smile. "And you have feelings for me that stretch further than a crush."

"Yes."

Her response is instantaneous and Bomi leans back at the assertiveness in Chorong's voice. She hadn't expected Chorong to be so blunt.

"I haven't –" Chorong starts before swallowing. "I haven't stopped thinking about you since the first night we met, I haven't been able to."

"I know the feeling."

Chorong runs her fingers through her hair. "I thought I was just a one-night stand to you."

"I broke all the rules with you," Bomi tells her. "Normally, I don't bring my one-night stands back to my apartment but I brought you. Normally, I leave before they wake up, yet it was you who left. Normally, I don't want to see them again but I couldn't wait to see you again. This is back when I thought you were Lea. Then when I found out who you were, nothing changed. I still couldn't wait to see you again."

"What makes me so special?"

"I'm sorry?"

Chorong her lips. "I'm nothing but ordinary. Why are you breaking all your rules for me? What is it about me that is making you want to do that?"

"You, Park Chorong, are anything but ordinary," Bomi tells her as she cups the other woman's cheek. "Why wouldn't I want you? You're y, funny, sweet, great with Jinsol, gorgeous; I think the real question is, why would you want me?"

"Bomi –"

"I've spent years sleeping around with random women, never caring about anybody. I'm a friend to Eunji, probably a person come to that. I'm 24 years old and I don't know how to be in relationship, I mean, the only one I've ever had and it was my fault it ended because I didn't know how to act. I'm the one that's nothing special Chorong."

"I think you're special."

Bomi feels herself blush. "Thank you."

Chorong grins. She wants to ask Bomi what she meant when she said that her relationship with Sohee ended because of her but Bomi's already diverted their conversation away from Sohee once before, chances are, she'll do it again.

"What do we do Bomi?"

"Right now," Bomi starts as she grabs the remote from the bed. "How about I educate you in The Girl Next Door? The longer we talk, the harder it's becoming for me to resist you and that will just create more problems rather than solve them and right now, I don't want any more problems."


 

"So what did you think?"

Chorong furrows her brow before shrugging her shoulders. "I suppose it was okay, I doubt I will watch it again but it was enjoyable."

"I guess I'll have to watch Somewhere in Time at some point then since you watched this and It's a Wonderful Life."

"I guess you will."

She had been too entranced with the film to notice the distance, or rather lack of distance between them and she swallows when she realises that Chorong's arm is pressed against hers, their hands entwined. She's not really sure when it happened but at some point during their movie, their fingers had become linked.

She's not even sure who instigated it.

Holding hands seems to be their thing; Bomi can remember doing that a lot with Chorong the night before. Although, if she's being honest, the main reason she held the brunette's hand is because she needed Chorong's support due to the excess amount of liquor she had drank.

Bomi tugs her bottom lip between her teeth and at the movement, Chorong's eyes rake over her body and consequently darken. Bomi's eyes linger on the brunette's lips and subconsciously, her tongue darts out to her lips.

"We should head downstairs. We're meant to be meeting everybody else for dinner."

"Yeah, I think that's probably for the best," Chorong replies, subconsciously leaning forward ever so slightly, hearing Bomi's breath to hitch in the process. "Why can't I stay away from you?"

Bomi shrugs her shoulders and shuffles closer to Chorong, her lips brushing against Chorong's in the lightest of touches, not even a kiss but it sends shivers down both girls spine.

"It's my charm."

"You and your ego," Chorong replies playfully.

"You love it," she whispers against the other woman's lips as her eyes close.

Chorong smiles as Bomi tells her the same words she said the previous night, even if she can't remember. Bomi's right though, Chorong does love all these little things about Bomi.

Her ego was actually the first thing that drew her to Bomi, even though she scolded the blonde for being arrogant, Chorong found it endearing.

When she feels Bomi's breath tickle her lips, Chorong allows her eyes to close.

"I hope you're decent."

Both women move apart at the voice as Chorong jumps off the bed while Bomi remains seating.

The door to their hotel room is closed by Namjoo as Hayoung drops countless bags onto her bed, tourist memorabilia seeping out of them. Obviously Namjoo's been enjoying the shops. Chorong stands awkwardly next to the bed, arms crossed and feet scuffing against the carpeted floor.

"Did we interrupt something?" Hayoung asks curiously, glancing between the two of them.

"No," Bomi replies quickly. "We were just watching The Girl Next Door," she states, pointing towards the television where the credits are continuing to roll.

"Oh I love that film," Namjoo announces, ignoring the obvious tension in the room.

That's the thing with Namjoo, she's intuitive to a fault but she doesn't bring attention to it like Hayoung will do. She leaves the obvious tension alone because she already knows the cause of it.

Hayoung glares at Bomi for several seconds before tilting her head to the side. "Everybody else is meeting us downstairs for dinner in ten minutes."

"I know."

"I best go and get ready," Chorong announces quietly and at the sound of her voice, Bomi stands up. "I'll see you all in a short while."

She wants to tell Chorong not to go, she wants to tell Chorong that she can stay as long as she wants but she can't.

Not when Hayoung and Namjoo are here.

"Bye."

Chorong gives her a curt nod before bypassing Hayoung and Namjoo, sending a quiet goodbye in Namjoo's direction before opening the door and stepping outside, closing the door behind her.

"Just watching a film," Hayoung draws out slowly.

"Yes Hayoung, that's all we were doing," Bomi replies.

Hayoung doesn't press the matter anymore and starts chatting to Namjoo animatedly as her fiancée rummages through all their bags. Bomi falls back onto her bed and sighs heavily.

Part of her is grateful that Hayoung and Namjoo interrupted her and Chorong because if they hadn't, she and Chorong would have crossed the line again.

The other part of her hates Hayoung and Namjoo for interrupting for the same reason.

Because truthfully, she had wanted to cross the line with Chorong.