Chapter 27

Untouchable Face

"You are aware you're about as subtle as a brick."

Bomi frowns before bringing her attention away from Chorong to Hayoung. "What are you talking about?"

"Since you clearly insist on leering at Chorong, you could at least try and make it a little less obvious. You might as well hang a sign over your head that says 'I like Chorong'. I'm genuinely surprised Eunji hasn't caught you staring at her."

"I wasn't staring at her."

Hayoung taps the side of Bomi's mouth. "Really? Well that's funny because your drool is telling me a different story."

Bomi pushes Hayoung's hand off her. "I was not drooling."

The tall woman merely smirks, clearly proud of the reaction she managed to bestow from her friend. "For once, I don't actually blame you," she says, crossing her arms over her chest. "She looks ing hot in that dress."

She manages to refrain from glaring at Hayoung because she doesn't want to give her friend the satisfaction. "Yeah," she breathes out, bringing her attention back to Chorong. "She really does."

"Okay, enough schmoozing. I gots to ask Lie, what exactly are you hoping for with her?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you want a relationship with her or is she just some…conquest?"

"She is not a conquest," Bomi spits harshly before pinching the bridge of her nose to calm herself because she knows Hayoung isn't purposely trying to anger her. "I want to be with her, I want a relationship with her. I want what you and Namjoo have. I never thought I'd be saying those words but it's true."

"What about Eunji? She isn't just collateral damage –"

"I never said she was," Bomi states sternly.

Hayoung holds her hands up signalling surrender. "I didn't say you did. I just meant that she isn't some nameless girl; she's your best friend. You want to be with Chorong but where does Eunji fit into this?"

"Chorong said she was going to break up with her."

"Okay, well that's a start, I mean, it's something that should have happened a while ago but at least it's happening now," Hayoung tells her. "Then what? After Chorong breaks up with her and tells her about you two," she pauses momentarily. "She is going to tell her about you two right? I sincerely hope she's not going to fall back on the whole 'it's not you, it's me' rubbish."

Bomi shakes her head. "She's going to be honest."

"Good. So what happens after? Do you expect everything to work out perfectly, you get Chorong and by some miracle, Eunji is still your best friend? I'm telling this because I care for you, that's not going to happen."

"You think I don't know that?" Bomi says quickly. "I know I can't have both of them but I don't know what I expect to happen. You may not believe me but I don't like thinking about my best friend being heartbroken. None of this was planned, I didn't plan on falling for Chorong so I apologise but I haven't exactly thought ahead. I'm taking it a day at a time."

"Maybe it's time you started thinking ahead."

Bomi swallows hard because she barely thinks the future. She can't think about a future with Chorong because it is always masked by the knowledge that it is a future without Eunji.

And vice-versa.

Hayoung places her hand on Bomi's shoulders lightly, a gesture which is evidently supposed to be comforting.

Or, at least as comforting as Hayoung can manage.

"Whatever happens, I'm here for you Bomi. Always."

Bomi allows herself to breathe a sigh of relief at Hayoung's reassurance because she doesn't think she can lose both Eunji and Hayoung.


 

There are always moments in your lifetime that you look back on them and think you shouldn't have done that. Maybe because it was wrong, maybe because it resulted something wrong or maybe because you knew what would happen if you did.

This is one of those moments.

She knows that she shouldn't be doing this because it is all of the above. She also knows that she has had a plethora of opportunities to stop herself.

She could have stopped herself from knocking on the door.

She could have stopped herself from kissing her.

She could have stopped herself the very first time she laid eyes on Chorong.

Theoretically, she could have stopped at any one of those times, or all of them, but in reality, she couldn't bring herself to move away from Chorong.

That unmistakable gravitational pull which surrounds Chorong has pulled her in every single time and refuses to release her.

She used to think she had control but around Chorong, she is completely helpless.

She is not in control, not one bit.

It's for that reason that she has been desperate to have the woman again since the first night they met.

She has appreciated the stolen kisses every now and again but they haven't satisfied her inherent craving for the other woman. Chorong has become her personal addiction, nothing is ever good enough. She can be friends with Chorong and spend the entire day with her but she always wants, needs that little bit more.

Even though that little bit more crosses a line that she swore she would never cross again.

Unlike their first time when hands flew everywhere and each movement was rather sloppy and hurried, this time, everything is slowed down. This isn't just about , it's not a one-night stand.

It's about something so much more.

Whereas only Chorong knew the consequences of her actions after their first time, this time, they're both aware of the consequences that they face.

They both know the implications of what they're about to do but they aren't stopping them.

It's definitely not stopping Bomi.

Reluctantly, she breaks the kiss to look into Chorong's eyes. Normal chocolate eyes have darkened considerably and the brunette's breath is ragged. She smiles before brushing brown locks out of Chorong's eyes.

"Do you have any idea how beautiful you are?"

Every single compliment that falls from Bomi's lips provokes a blush from Chorong. Naturally, her first instinct is to laugh nervously and reply with 'I'm not' because even though people have complimented her on her appearance in the past, she always feels the needs to correct them.

What they see clearly isn't what she sees when she looks in the mirror.

This time, she keeps closed, opting instead to bring their mouths together once more. Like when they first met, their mouths move in perfect synchronisation, like they've been doing this for years and when Bomi feels Chorong's tongue graze her lower lip, Bomi parts her lips that little bit further. Bomi fists her hands in brunette locks as their tongues collide languidly, and she can feel Chorong's moan vibrate against her.

Bomi moves her hands from Chorong's hair to the petite woman's waist, running them underneath her pyjama top, her bare stomach lightly. She pushes them back a little further until Chorong's knees make contact with the bed causing them both to fall onto it. Bomi laughs softly into the kiss at the clumsiness of their actions before brushing her nose lightly against Chorong's.

Chorong's smile every time she does it, silently tells her that Chorong enjoys it.

"Hello."

Chorong smiles shyly. ”Hi."

She leans up slightly and reconnects their lips, her hands furiously at Bomi's dress, tugging it harshly, silently ordering Bomi to remove the article of clothing which is annoyingly in the way. The blonde obliges immediately and shrugs the dress off, throwing it behind her. The sight of Bomi clad only in underwear causes Chorong to swallow hard.

She can understand why Bomi manages to get any girl she wants.

Bomi really is undeniably beautiful and utterly mesmerising.

Her heart twinges with happiness at the knowledge that out of everybody, Bomi wants her. She can't still really comprehend that but she's grateful for it nevertheless.

She knows this is wrong, that she should be sleeping peacefully by herself, dreaming of her girlfriend but when she feels Bomi's teeth nip at her pulse point, any sensation of this being wrong evaporates.

How can it be wrong when it feels so right?

As the blonde carefully sheds Chorong's clothing, paying detailed attention to every part of her body, Bomi trails her fingers delicately over exposed skin, leaving a wake of shivers in her path, an invisible yet permanent indentation on her skin.

Chorong can't imagine being anywhere else right now.

Bomi's tongue darts out to her lips and her eyes darken impossibly so at the sight of Chorong's bare chest. Chorong can feel her cheeks becoming hot under the scrutiny of Bomi's gaze before the blonde cups her s softly, teasing her.

"Bbom-ah," she exhales the name in the faintest of moans.

Bomi stills and stares down at the other woman. She's both worried and scared that maybe Chorong is having second thoughts. "Are you okay?"

Chorong bobs her head with vigour. "I want you."

That admission seems to be all Bomi needed to hear because she smiles lazily before claiming Chorong's lips with her own.

Her previous doubts and worries disappear the second Bomi's fingers start working in her. The blonde's lips trace soft patterns on her neck and collarbone, gently nipping and every now and again.

It's unbelievably gentle and not at all like their first time.

She may not be very experienced, but being with Bomi like this, makes her feel like she's losing her ity all over again.

Except this time, it is how she always imagined.

When Bomi hits that spot, she releases a guttural moan and her hips involuntary buck upwards. She hears Bomi chuckle hoarsely against her skin as she places a free hand on Chorong's waist in an attempt to still the woman. She can feel Bomi everywhere and it's fantastic. When Chorong feels that sensational feeling in the pit of her stomach, her eyes involuntarily close. At the action, Bomi immediately stills her ministrations causing Chorong to exert a grunt of annoyance.

"Don't stop."

"Look at me."

She wants to oblige but the feeling of Bomi inside her, coupled with the huskiness of the blonde's voice is making it incredibly difficult.

Dismayed by the lack of reaction from the other woman, Bomi tugs Chorong's earlobe between her teeth before releasing it. "Chorong, look at me."

It's a breathy plea but an order at the same time.

Chorong finally manages to open her eyes and in the split second that chocolate eyes meet deep brown ones, she feels love.

If she wasn't already sure she was in love with Bomi, this would be her crystallising moment of realisation. Because the brown eyes staring back at her are laced with nothing but love.

When they first met, Bomi stared at her with unadulterated lust but now, it isn't lust.

It's love.

Bomi sends her another lazy smile as her fingers start moving once more. She kisses her slowly before whispering against Chorong's lips.

"You are so beautiful."

She thinks the compliment would have been enough but the sudden use of Bomi's thumb on the swollen nub of pleasure sends shockwaves rippling through her body and she allows ecstasy to wash over her, delicious sensations shooting through her body.

"So ing beautiful," Bomi whispers against her neck before placing a kiss there and slowing her ministrations, waiting patiently for Chorong to come down from her high.

Chorong's cheeks are flushed bright red and her breath is impossibly ragged when she finally manages to look at Bomi again.

The blonde removes her fingers slowly and brushes her nose against Chorong's once more. "Are you okay?"

Chorong nods silently because she's not even sure if she's capable of forming coherent sentences right now.

"Are you sure?" Bomi presses because she can't handle Chorong regretting this, she doesn't know what she'll do if Chorong says this is a mistake and she wants to pretend it never happened. The first time she said that, it hurt a surprising amount, she can't hear it again.

Besides, she was hardly able to pretend these last few months; she can't possibly pretend that this didn't happen.

"I'm perfect," Chorong says, incredibly quietly.

When Bomi hears them, it's the first time she isn't worried about Chorong running from her.

"I love you."

The words fall from Bomi's lips before she can stop them. She couldn't help herself, seeing Chorong underneath her, flushed cheeks and panting, she looks irresistible and stunning.

Chorong sends the blonde a small smile and feels the words 'I love you too' on the tip of her tongue but for some reason, she cannot fathom how to actually speak. No matter how much she wants to tell Bomi that she's in love with her, she can't.

It's at that moment that she truly accepts they have really reached the point of no return. It's not just Eunji that's going to be hurt, if things go wrong, Bomi is going to be heartbroken too.

It's a terrifying concept that Chorong holds the hearts of two people in her hands and unfortunately, one of them is going to be crushed.


 

She can safely say that this is a new experience for her.

Just lying in silence with somebody, there's no need to talk; you're just enjoying their company. Normally she can't wait to escape but with Chorong, she's content to stay like this for ever. It does make her think that maybe she shouldn't have left so suddenly after all her one-night stands. Every one of them paled in comparison to Chorong but maybe if she'd allowed herself to stay, she could have become friends with some of the women.

Perhaps they could have become more than a nameless one-night stand.

She trails her fingers delicately up and down Chorong's bare arm, revelling in the contented sight that Chorong releases.

It's impossible and she knows that, but somehow, Chorong seems to get more and more stunning every time Bomi looks at her.

Right now, she is unequivocally beautiful.

"That tickles." Bomi grins lazily and stops what she was doing. "I didn't say stop."

The blonde chuckles and gives Chorong a chaste kiss before following the brunette's wishes.

Chorong sighs lightly. "Can I ask you something?"

"You can ask me anything you want."

That answer could come in handy later on, Chorong still has some pressing questions that she both wants and needs to ask Bomi but they're not urgent. "What were you talking to Hayoung about?"

"You."

"What about me?"

"She told me to stop leering at you because I'm apparently not very good at hiding it," Bomi explains. "Most importantly, she made me think about things."

"Like what?"

"The future," Bomi tells her. "When all this is gone, the secrecy and the lies. When Eunji finds out, what's next? What do we do?"

"She made me think about that too."

"I don't have an answer," Bomi admits quietly. "At least not yet. Do you?"

Chorong shakes her head. "I want to have an answer but right now, I can't seem to think past the point when she finds out. I want to be able to but right now, the fact that she's going to be heartbroken is clouding my judgement." Chorong scratches an itch on her nose. "My judgements been so skewed for a while, I am incapable of deciphering between right and wrong now."

"You know what's right and wrong," Bomi tells her.

"I know I do but I don't think the same way I used to, things used to be a lot clearer. I did have a moral compass and I never strayed from that, but with you, I know it's wrong but it just –" Chorong pauses for a second before swallowing. "It doesn't feel that way."

Bomi curls some of Chorong's hair behind her ear gently. "I know how you feel. I may never have really had an impeccable moral compass but if I had, I would definitely have strayed from it when I met you."

"Apparently, what is moral is what you feel good after and –"

"What is immoral is what you feel bad after."

Chorong frowns in surprise. "You know Hemingway?"

"Don't look so surprised, besides the collection of first-edition comic books, I do have some first-edition books too you know, so I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to literature and writers."

"Hayoung recited that quote to me earlier."

The blonde's smile widens and she bursts in short, melodic laughter. "I bet you that is the only quote she remembered. She's probably been waiting for a time when she can use it."

Chorong laughs with the blonde before speaking once more. "I did think it was strange when she said she was an untapped resource of wisdom. Speaking of Hayoung, won't she notice you're not in the room?"

Bomi shakes her head. "She's spending the night with Namjoo; their 'no before the wedding' pact never really stood a chance at lasting. Honestly, I don't know why they bothered."

"It's romantic."

"If you say so."

"Why do you think some people choose to wait until they're married to engage in –"

"As adorable as I think you are when you say it, please don't say ual ," Bomi pleads playfully.

Chorong pouts a little at that. "Fine. My point was, after waiting all that time to finally share that special moment with somebody, somebody you love and are spending the rest of your life with, there has to be an elevated sense of emotion that comes with it. Pleasure, nervousness, excitement, everything is bundled into one. If you wait until marriage, I think it could make on the wedding night more special."

"?" Bomi repeats slowly.

"You asked me not to say ual ."

"Chorong," Bomi says with a laugh. "How come you're so adorable?"

"It's taken years to perfect this adorableness you see before you," Chorong replies lightly. "Probably as long as it's taken you to perfect being a charmer."

"I've always been a perfect charmer and you can't improve on perfection."

Chorong slaps her lightly on the arm. "You really do have an insufferable ego Yoon Bomi."

"You say insufferable, I say endearing."

The brunette allows herself to smile before falling silent. This conversation is laced with banter, it's as if they've been a couple sharing lazy conversations for years and she somehow forgot about Eunji.

She forgot what they had just done.

When she fell silent, it's as if everything came rapidly flooding back.

Eunji's smile, her kind-hearted nature and her bright brown eyes.

In the silence, she's forced to remember Eunji and guilt bubbles up in her stomach.

Bomi studies her carefully before cupping her cheek, rubbing it with the pad of her thumb. "What's wrong?"

Chorong shuffles ever so slightly before rolling over onto her side so she's directly facing Bomi. "I never wanted to be a cheater."

Bomi frowns lightly before mimicking the other woman's actions and shuffling impossibly close to her, their faces mere inches away from each other. "I doubt anybody wants to become a cheater."

"I certainly didn't think I was capable of cheating on somebody I loved. I could never imagine hurting somebody so much. I always thought that if you're unhappy in a relationship, why not leave? Why prolong an inevitable break-up and add unnecessary pain and hurt? It's just cruel."

"You make it seem so black and white."

"Isn't it?" Chorong questions quietly. "I could have left Eunji months ago, staying with her has only increased the hurt she's going to feel when she finds out. I was a coward."

Bomi sends Chorong a small smile, in an attempt to provide some form of comfort. "Relationships aren't easy."

"Is that why you don't want one?"

She shakes her head softly against the pillow. "I never said I didn't want one, at least not explicitly. I just…they're a lot of trouble, sometimes more trouble than they're worth. Besides, you were right."

"Right about what?"

"I didn't want to put my heart on the line again, not after it was broken. One-night stands made that easy to avoid."

"Life's all about taking risks," Chorong tells her. "They say you regret the things you didn't do more than the things you did do."

"I don't know, I'm pretty sure you regret some of the things you do do, I know I regret some."

Chorong clears nervously and her lips. "How do you do it?"

Bomi furrows her brow. "Do what?"

"Sleep with married women, women in relationships? You know they have a partner but you sleep with them anyway. How do you sleep at night knowing that you could have potentially damaged a couple? I know you said the partner is their problem, not yours, but part of you must care."

"You're making me sound like the big bad wolf Chorong," Bomi says with a slight scoff. "The women I sleep with want to sleep with me, okay, they're willing to cheat so don't act like I'm forcing them to do something they don't want to."

"I wasn't suggesting that you forced anybody."

"I mean, you had a girlfriend but you still happily slept with me. I have no control over what happens in relationships but not everybody cheats. You could say I'm doing their partner a favour, they'll realise that the person they're with isn't the one they should be with if they're willing to cheat."

Chorong's silent for some time before nodding slowly. "Is that what you're doing with me? Helping Eunji realise that I'm not the one for her."

"No."

The answer is quick and firm.

"You must have hurt so many people, what's one more?" Chorong questions and the implication that Eunji is that one is impossible to miss.

"I never wanted to hurt Eunji." Bomi sighs heavily and rolls onto her back. "If you'd have been honest with me from the start and told me your real name, maybe nothing would have happened between us."

"So everything that's happened between is my fault."

"I didn't mean that, you're twisting my words."

Chorong shakes her head as she sits up in bed. "I think you're doing a pretty good job of that on your own."

Bomi pushes the blanket off and grabs the robe which hangs on the bathroom door before shrugging it on. "I'm not proud of my past, I mean; honestly, it never really bothered until I met you. You're perfect Chorong and compared to you, I'm incredibly flawed but I'm not that person anymore. Believe me when I say that hurting Eunji is the last thing I ever wanted to do."

"I'm sorry; I shouldn't have implied that you didn't care."

"Less than fifteen minutes ago, I told you I loved you," Bomi exclaims loudly. "How many times do I have to tell you that you are not a game to me Chorong?"

"I'm sorry."

"It doesn't matter; you have every right to doubt me."

Chorong climbs out of bed, wrapping the blanket around her as she walks towards Bomi. "I don't doubt you, it's just…this entire situation is impossible."

"You are everything to me," Bomi says slowly.

"I don't want to upset you again but you never answered my question."

"Yes I did," Bomi protests hurriedly.

Chorong shakes her head slowly. "About how you do it sure, but not whether part of you cares about the people hurting. This doesn't apply to Eunji right now, I just want to know if you've ever cared about the strangers you never meet but yet you may affect their life for the worse."

"Chorong."

"If you don't want to answer –"

"I made myself not care. Relationships are over-rated; you spend months, years being the perfect girlfriend, saying you love them every single day, surprising them with little presents every now and again when they're least expecting it, treating them like they're the only person in the world and one day it ends, just like that. There's no warning, no indication that you're about to be heartbroken and left with the feeling that you've wasted two years of your life."

"You're not talking about relationships in general; you're talking about yours with Sohee," Chorong states as a matter-of-fact.

"They're all the same."

"No, they're not."

"A lot of them end in heartbreak."

"Did she cheat on you?" Chorong asks quietly. "Is that why you have an odd vendetta against relationships? Is that why you told everybody it was a mutual break-up because you didn't want anybody to see how hurt you really were?"

Bomi exhales heavily and brushes past Chorong to sit on the bed. She knew the subject of Sohee would rear its ugly head again, Chorong wasn't going to let it drop but she wished it hadn't reappeared tonight.

Everything was going perfectly for them.

"She didn't cheat on me. It's not that interesting and there isn't some psychological reason behind what I do."

Chorong sits down beside Bomi and takes her hand, entwining their fingers. "Then what happened? Whatever it was, you have to admit that it shaped your view on relationships."

"She fell out of love with me," Bomi admits softly after several seconds of silence. "That's it. I don't know if you were expecting some big secret, a juicy reveal but the truth of the matter is incredibly mundane. She just fell out of love with me."

"How?" Chorong asks because now she's fallen for Bomi, she couldn't imagine falling out of love with her.

"I don't even know how long she'd known, it could have been months and all the while, I thought everything was perfect. I was in love with her and I thought she loved me. Do you want to know the reason she gave me for why she fell out of love with me?"

"What was it?"

Bomi chuckles dryly. "She didn't have one, she said she didn't know why or when it happened but one day she looked at me and she didn't feel that rush of excitement, her heart didn't beat that little bit faster like it used to. One day she looked at me and I was exactly the same person I had been when we were 16. A friend."

"Bomi –"

"You want a reason why I don't like relationships?" Bomi whispers, desperately quiet as if the mere memory plagues her with hurt. "How about the fact that you pour your heart into it and at the end of the day, it is all for nothing because you are not good enough.”

"Bomi –" Chorong attempts to interject once more.

"If I had been good enough, maybe she wouldn't have fallen out of love with me," Bomi suggests lightly. "I've thought about that you know. I mean, I guess we became comfortable in our relationship and maybe that was it, maybe there wasn't enough excitement in the relationship for her anymore. Maybe she just grew bored of me. I should have tried harder though, I should have fought for her."

"You can't make somebody feel what you want them to," Chorong says softly. "If she fell out of love with you, nothing you did would have changed her feelings. It's not like flicking a switch; she can't have woken up one day and decided that she wasn't in love with you anymore. I don't want to sound harsh but it must have been happening for some time. You don't just fall out of love with somebody in a split second."

"Maybe, but I guess I'll never know why she fell out of love with me," Bomi says quietly. "I haven't seen her since that day."

"Thank you."

"For what?"

"Telling me about her."

Bomi shrugs her shoulders in a nonchalant way. "I told you that you could ask me anything."

Chorong nuzzles her nose against Bomi's cheek softly before placing a tender kiss there. "How about we go to sleep? This night has certainly not turned out the way I expected it to."

"For the better?"

"Definitely."

Bomi bobs her head with a smile and can't resist giving Chorong a chaste kiss before she climbs underneath the blanket as Chorong clambers across her rather than walk around the distance of the bed, adding an extra blanket to the bed.

She's just managed to get herself comfortable when Chorong speaks. "It may sound mean but I'm glad she fell out of love with you."

Bomi rolls over to face the brunette. "Really? Why is that?"

"Because it meant that I could fall in love with you."

The blonde grins widely. When she had admitted her feelings for Chorong, she didn't fail to notice how Chorong never returned the sentiment. She didn't say 'I love you too'. She wasn't sure whether Chorong's feelings were as deep as hers but now she knows.

Bomi's grin soon turns into laughter which causes Chorong to frown. "We were having a sweet moment, why are you laughing?"

"I'm sorry," Bomi breathes out through laughter. "It's just; I don't think you could have sounded cheesier if you tried."

Chorong pouts and crosses her arms. "I thought it was romantic."

Bomi grabs the brunette's arms and gently forces her to uncross them. "It was, I'm just not very good with romantic feelings. I told you that."

"You didn't need to laugh."

"You're right, I'm sorry." Bomi brushes her nose against Chorong's softly. "Say it again." Chorong seems hesitant and Bomi pouts at the other woman. "I promise I won't laugh."

Chorong frowns before relenting. "I'm in love with you."

Bomi's face lights up as she kisses Chorong sweetly. Whatever happens outside this room and whatever happens in the near future, at least she can take solace in this moment.

The moment which could turn out to be bittersweet.

The moment which may be the one that hurts Eunji that bit more.

The moment she realised that the woman she's in love with, loves her too.

If she's honest, nothing else matters right now.

Nothing but Chorong.

"I'm in love with you too."


 

At the sound of continuous ringing, she tugs her bottom lip between her teeth before impatiently drumming her fingers against the table. She doesn't normally have to wait this long, usually her phone call is answered within the first couple of rings but not this time. As the call diverts to voicemail, she sighs lightly before opting for a voice message. "Hey, it's me. I just wanted to say hello and to be honest; I wanted to hear your voice. I know it's only been a week but I miss it already," she pauses and tilts her head to the side. "I miss you." She scratches a non-existent itch over her eyebrow. "I hope you're having fun in Gwangju, don't let Hayoung corrupt you, I know what she's capable of," she chuckles ever so lightly before sighing.

"We're about to open a bottle of wine, are you coming down?"

Eunji turns as one of her fellow teachers, Jisook, appears in the doorway of her hotel room. She nods before pulling the phone away from her ear. "I'll be down in a second, pour me a glass please." Jisook nods with a smile and as soon as she disappears from sight, Eunji brings the phone back to her ear. "I've got to go babe, call me when you have a free minute."

She doesn't realise it when she says goodbye.

She doesn't realise it when she catches up with Jisook on the stairs.

She doesn't realise it when she first starts drinking.

It's only later that night when she realises.

That was the first time she didn't end a phone call to Chorong with the words 'I love you.'